Wow... arrived a bit late to the party, but Natural Born Chaos is AWESOME!

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
I know, a bit old, and whatnot, but I'm listening to this non-stop... unbelievable! The first one I heard by Soilwork was Stabbing the Drama, which was quite good, but I'm feeling this one is even better...

Anyway... point of this thread... any other bands that play a similar style of music that you guys recommend?

:D

Damn you ARE late.

Check out older Soilwork. A Predator's Portrait and Chainheart Machine. They've of course got contemporaries in Dark Tranquillity and In Flames.

You can also check out Darkane, The Defaced, Enter My Silence, Callenish Circle, Nightrage, Gardenian, Passenger, Dimension Zero, Arch Enemy, The Haunted, Hatesphere, The Duskfall, Mors Pricipium Est, Kalmah, Disarmonia Mundi, One-Way Mirror, Engel, Lyzanxia, Sybreed, Scarve, Gates of Ishtar, Ebony Tears, Scar Symmetry, Satariel, Omnium Gatherum, Fragments of Unbecoming, Edge of Sanity, Mercenary, Wintersun, God Forbid, Carnal Forge, The Absence, Raunchy, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, etc etc etc

That should do it, lol

If this can help you a bit :
+1 to Nightrage, MPE, Disarmonia Mundi (most Soilwork-like here), Scar Symmetry, Edge of Sanity and WINTERSUN. All are in my favourite bands.

Old Nightrate is a bit different from newer (newer is more modern, generic Melodic Death but it's pretty good too), though now I tend to like both equally. MPE is modern melodeath with synths, DM is Soilwork in better (mostly), SS is prog-melodeath that's really catchy, EOS well check out Crimson II (GREAT ALBUM) and Wintersun is THE shit.

BTW, nice list J

Thanks a lot for the replies. Gonna check 'em out. Of course, I already know a couple of those. Good stuff, huh? :)

They're a little more doomy (but in the awesome Euro sense of the word, not sludgy disgusting American doom that makes me feel like I'm caked in mud and need to take a shower :loco: ), but Insomnium is fucking incredible and has heavy melodeath stuff going on - Above the Weeping World is such an incredible album!

Generation Speedkill is a killer song title.

EDIT : And yeah Marcus, I love that Insomnium album (highly recommended to anyone), gotta love the NICE doomy atmosphere (IMO, I'm not a big fan of sludge and doomy drony stuff neither, though Gareth's sludgy drony stuff made up for ambience music in a weirdly pleasant way).

Well Gareth's is drone, which is a different can of worms - but doom can refer either to the stoner stuff I was referring to (basically all the bands listed in the "Bands similar to Down" thread on the main page of teh forumses, none of which I like), or the somber, sad, melancholy (European :headbang: ) doom, started by bands like Anathema, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, and carried on by Daylight Dies, among others (and they're American, making them even more of an anomaly :kickass: ) And Insomnium is melodeath with heavy influence from the latter!