Writers and Alcoholism

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Has anyone else that ever read a bio on some of the most famous writers in history noticed that the great majority of them were alcoholics? This is something that has always been a curiosity of mine. Look at the list of names (just a few) : Poe, Capote, Hemmingway, and perhaps the worst drunk, Fitzgerald. Famous for thier work, they also gained notority for their heavy drinking. Why is this do you think? One of my teachers seems to think several factors come into play. Pressure from being famous? Writers block? Personal issues (this could be one of the reasons for Fitzgerald's drinking). What are some other thoughts?

I think it is a common thread with creative people in general. Maybe inner demons are the force behind great creativity. Or maybe it is this genius that drives people to drink. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Did these people you have listed also suffer from depression?
I'm most creative when I really feel like I need a drink.

MyDemonWithin said:
I think it is a common thread with creative people in general. Maybe inner demons are the force behind great creativity. Or maybe it is this genius that drives people to drink. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Did these people you have listed also suffer from depression?
I'm most creative when I really feel like I need a drink.
I'm most creative when I've had a couple drinks, I think it lessons the logical blocks to expressing your creativity, and lets that side of your brain take over completely. I'll bet many of the greatest books were written while the author was drunk, or had had a few beers at least.

Dumbasses, it's obvious that alcohol gives you better (nay...far greater) abilities than that of the layman.