WVUA-Tuscaloosa, AL NO

Feb 11, 2002
TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA
hey folks.
this is a plea but not an ordinary plea. I work for a college radio station in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (WVUA) since 1980 we have had a metal show on the airwaves Friday Nights at 10 cst.
i have been DJ'ing it since 1993 same time, except from 10-6 am. The 'powers that be' aka new guy who'd rather be working with the Sports Department instead of Station Manager is now moving my Metal Zone to Thursday nites from midnite til 2 am. And in my Friday spot is 4 hours of rap music. He says that 'people' would rather listen to that instead of metal 'while they are getting ready to go out' (does that make sense?)
WVUA does broadcast on the web at www.newrock907.com with me on Friday nites 10-6 cst. My last time this year will be the night of December 23rd.
PLEASE make an effort to listen you can even make requests at newrock907 on AOL IM, Yahoo too.
PLEASE email me at davethemetalguy@aol.com and let the 'management' know what a mistake is being made.
Martin Popoff, Metal Blade, Relapse Records have all given me their seals of approval. Now all im asking is for my true metal friends that i have met since ProgPower2 to step up to the plate and keep metal alive in the underground. Your emails will be read and given to the station manager on December 28 at 5:00pm cst. so i suppose that's your dead line.
I appreciate all you guys and i hope someday i can return the favor.
thanks
David Standifer
aka davethemetalguy

That's really fucked up, but i know what you mean. Seems Program Directors or managers always think they know what is best

That sucks dude. Regular radio has been circling the drain ever since grunge became fashionable (my Sophomore year at college when Nirvana hit). Sattelite radio is the only radio I listen to now when I am not listening to CDs. I think it is rediculous that I have to listen to the radio at a certain time on a certain day to hear the music I like. Now I get channels dedicated to the stuff I like and can listen to them commercial (and hopefully Payolla) free.

Dave, unfortunately I can't listen live, since my show is on at around the same time, but we feel your pain.

Our timeslot had been 10pm Friday to 8am Saturday, and the local free weekly paper had once commented that it was cool to crash on the couch in a drunken stupor at 3am and then wake up with a hangover at 8am, still listening to metal. This was cut by station "management" (i.e., the kids who think they know what's best) to 10pm Fri - 6am Sat, because they said they had received complaints from listeners between 6 and 8am who wanted to hear the regular format (basically, diverse college radio, which includes everything from jazz and blues to unlistenable noise, like a line-printer chugging away...no, I'm not kidding). 8 am down to 6 am....well, that meant we could go home a little earlier in the morning, but I'd still like to meet the feebles who just have to hear Merzbow, or a line-printer thwacking away. :erk:

Then we were further cut, down to midnight Friday to 6am Saturday. The two hours from 10 til midnight were ceded to Stonehenge, the older-rock show that precedes us on the schedule. There were a lot of complaints from metal fans, but since most of them aren't part of the Georgia Tech campus, they fell on mostly deaf ears. :(

What sort of metal do you play? Do you have playlists available? It would help knowing so we could send appropriate letters to station management.

Having been in radio myself in the 70s, I know how it is with these excuses for program directors. I could go on for days, but will just say that I would love a few minutes alone with your idiot boy p.d. The idea that rap is what the listeners want on Fri. nite is insane. What is the sense of having a non-commercial station, if all they want you to play is the same thing you can hear anywhere on the dial in commercial radio? So fucking pathetic. Now I'm pissed. I don't like to be pissed. What an asshole, but then I've only met one p.d. who wasn't either an idiot or an asshole. :hotjump:

Dave, I hope you are able to persevere on this one.

I can send you some playlists, lots of old metal a la venom, possessed, voivod. but new stuff as well. or whatever Munsey is working-haha
yeah, the 'management" at WVUA were about 5 when the Metal Show started in 1982 -therefore they 'think' they know what is good for everyone. There is a 'survey' they are giving out (to who and how they are doing it is anyones guess, and it sure aint scientific) for students to 'pick' when they listen to WVUA. What i have been doing is having listeners write/email me about why and how long the've been listening. I took all these into a meeting with the management and they seemed to see that SOMEONE liked metal on friday nites. If you would just email me why your station plays metal and how important it is to the listeners etc...i'd appreciate it a lot.
Drop it over to davethemetalguy@aol.com
Thanks Paul if you need anything from us dont hesitate to ask.

Pellaz said:
Dave, unfortunately I can't listen live, since my show is on at around the same time, but we feel your pain.

Our timeslot had been 10pm Friday to 8am Saturday, and the local free weekly paper had once commented that it was cool to crash on the couch in a drunken stupor at 3am and then wake up with a hangover at 8am, still listening to metal. This was cut by station "management" (i.e., the kids who think they know what's best) to 10pm Fri - 6am Sat, because they said they had received complaints from listeners between 6 and 8am who wanted to hear the regular format (basically, diverse college radio, which includes everything from jazz and blues to unlistenable noise, like a line-printer chugging away...no, I'm not kidding). 8 am down to 6 am....well, that meant we could go home a little earlier in the morning, but I'd still like to meet the feebles who just have to hear Merzbow, or a line-printer thwacking away. :erk:

Then we were further cut, down to midnight Friday to 6am Saturday. The two hours from 10 til midnight were ceded to Stonehenge, the older-rock show that precedes us on the schedule. There were a lot of complaints from metal fans, but since most of them aren't part of the Georgia Tech campus, they fell on mostly deaf ears. :(

What sort of metal do you play? Do you have playlists available? It would help knowing so we could send appropriate letters to station management.

Everyone who has capability to listen (and that means everyone of you) to Dave's show should check it out, AND support it by sending him an email saying that you do listen, and what you like about his metal show. This is not commercial radio. It is in many ways better than satellite radio in that this 'metal channel' is alot more diverse in that it doesn't play much of the nu metal bullshit, and also there is a good representation of older metal from the 80s and 90s along with the newer power and prog metal.

I've known Dave for a number of years, and can without hesitation state that he knows his shit, keeps an open mind, and in general does a great airshift. I can't say that about any other radio personalities I've known, and I was in radio in the 70s/80s.

You wanna hear some good metal? LISTEN TO DAVE'S SHOW, and even more importantly.... SUPPORT IT :worship: