Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Xasthur/Leviathan - Split
Battle Kommand Records – BKR006 – December 01, 2005
By Rodrigo Escandon

xaslev.jpg

All of you who missed out on the fantastic Xasthur/Leviathan limited edition vinyl release on Profound Lore Records are now in luck because Azentrius’s (Nachtmystium) Battle Kommand Records label has now released this split album on CD. As a bonus this release includes 4 bonus tracks, 3 from Xasthur and 1 from Leviathan. I originally purchased the vinyl release and now my exclusive elitism of owning this split has now been shattered but nevertheless it is great that more people will be able to enjoy this album from the current leaders of the US black metal scene.

Let me dissect the Xasthur portion of this split first. “The Eerie Bliss and Solitude (of torture)” is a perfect example of Malefic’s brand of black metal. It is a harrowing and mid-paced song featuring Malefic’s terrifying howls and amazing backing keyboards that add a lot of depth and bleakness to the overall composition. “Keeper of the Sharpened Blades (and ominous fates)” follows the same formula but it’s more straightforward and it doesn’t have the added atmosphere that the previous song had. “Conjuration of Terror’ starts faster than the other two songs but it mostly follows the mid-pace that the other two songs showcased. During the slower sections I also get that bleak feeling from the atmosphere that I got from the first song. The last song from the original release is “Instrumental” and it mostly keeps to the faster pace.

As I mentioned earlier this edition includes 3 bonus tracks from Xasthur. “Achieve Emptiness” is perfectly titled, as it’s a 3-minute desolate and atmospheric instrumental that features only keyboards. “Telepathic with the Deceased” is a rehearsal version from the original that appeared on the album with the same name. The version found on this release is shorter, a lot of the intro of the album version has been chopped, rawer and Malefic’s singing is more high-pitched and upfront. It almost sounds like a completely different song. “Palace of Frost” is a Katatonia cover and honestly I have never heard the original but I can tell you that this coversounds like a Xasthursong.

Leviathan takes up the last 3 songs from this split but don’t fear Wrest gets about the same time that Malefic got with his portion of the split. Leviathan’s compositions are longer in length and they are quite similar to Xasthur’s contributions. However, there are definite differences between the two bands. Wrest uses more guitar melody and his brand of black metal captivates me more. That is to say that I pay closer attention to his music and I think that is do to his ability to create trance-inducing music. All of these characteristics are true with “Unfailing Fall Into Naught” and just to add to the captivation the last 3:40 is a depressing and overbearing keyboard outro. I imagine this part as being something that would come from that vast confines of space and it leaves me completely mesmerized. “The Remotest Cipher (Besides the Last Breath Vanished)” is a faster, angrier and more aggressive song but I still feel completely captivated by the melodies and the depressing mood that Wrest creates. Leviathan’s bonus track is the Judas Iscariot cover “Where the Winter Beats Incessant”. Just like Malefic did with the Katatonia cover, Wrest manages to put his imprint in this song but overall I don’t get the same feelings that I usually get from his songs. This song just sounds too simple and straightforward and I am afraid it feels out of place in this release.

My conclusion will be brief: If you are familiar with either band this is simply an essential release as it includes some of the best work that either artist has composed.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Battle Kommand Records

I guess this stuff is supposed to bombard me with feelings of overwhelming dread and despair. All I ever feel is boredom when I listen to it. Incredibly overrated, IMO.

Personally I think the Xasthur tunes sound exactly like most of Malefic's other work, but the Leviathan stuff on here is gold. It's slower and with more of a focus on doom, probably.