Yngwie Malmsteen (opeth influence?)

The Moor

Still Life
May 17, 2003
Visit site
I've recently become aware of Yngwie Malmsteen's talents. I remember mike said something about this guy/band? in an interview. How exactly do you pronounce Yngwie Malmsteen? anyone have any recommendation for me, as to buy an ablum or as to any songs which mike might have been influenced by.

Rising Force, Marching Out, Fire&Ice and Concerto. Athough Facing The Animal is also very good. In my opinion the 2 latest albums has been actually very very bad.

Someone once asked here in the forum about the volume swells Mike uses in Orchid and thought that they were very original, then I correct that they were already used by Yngwie in Live '85 video. Mike replayed to the thread and confirmed that he had seen it in that video also, funny thing...:)

Rising Force is the one.

I am a viking, and you shall taste my steeel, and by my sword you shall diiiiiiieeeee.

as the shores of my home disapeer, I sail over the seas without feeeaarr.. ...

anyway.. yeah.. .heh.

Malmsteen wasn't the first to use volume swells either...

I'm not quite sure who was the 1st, but I know Camel used them a few times. Try listening to the Mystic Queen (GREAT song btw)....at the end of the song they use a very similar technique.

the first to use volume swells?

who invented volume knobs on an electric guitar. That guy was probably the first dude to use "volume swells" sheesh. :Smug:

Eh, this didn't go as I meant. I ment that Opeth did use them after Mike saw them in Yngwies Live '85 video and as I also mentioned in that thread, Yngwie was in no hell the first one to use it, but I use it as an example here, because there's this "influence" what this thread is all about...

I despise Malmsteen, not musically, but as a musician. He truly believes (and has been quoted as saying) that he knows all the music theory there is to know. any musician will agree with me that the concept of understanding "all" music theory is impossible. Also, his elitism gets on my nerves. As well his concept of virtuoso is just repeating the same damn sweep arpeggio over and over again. I mean come on, even his "blues" sounds like shred.

yngwie is indeed a tool. But he can play guitar better than most. I respect him in that aspect at least. But, I don't want to be his friend.

Necramentia said:
I despise Malmsteen, not musically, but as a musician. He truly believes (and has been quoted as saying) that he knows all the music theory there is to know. any musician will agree with me that the concept of understanding "all" music theory is impossible. Also, his elitism gets on my nerves. As well his concept of virtuoso is just repeating the same damn sweep arpeggio over and over again. I mean come on, even his "blues" sounds like shred.

i have to disagree here, i think that a person with perfect pitch who listens actively to music can understand traditional music theory. of course more modern theory, such as the post shoenberg school, probably requires more book learning. however i would say that it is definetly possible for a person to know all there is about music theory, especially from the classical era, which malmsteen uses abundantly.

I saw him at G3 and he just seemed weak compared to Vai and Satriani. So overdramatic, so cocky, just ridiculous next to two really "cool" experimental players. Sure technically he is fooking amazing, probably no one better at neo-classical guitar, but it...well...ain't my thing.

I don´t like him either, the main problem is the repetive songs. To listen to one Malmsteen cd/song is IMO the same as listening to them all.