YNGWIE MALMSTEEN: 'The More I Get Obstacles In Front Of Me, The Harder I Push'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Guitar Interactive magazine editor Jonathan Graham conducted an interview with Yngwie Malmsteen at legendary Swedish guitarist's first solo show in London for nearly a decade. You can now watch the chat below. Asked about how he recovered from the serious traffic accident he was involved in in June 1987 in Woodland Hills, California, Malmsteen said: "Hence the title of my book, 'Relentless'. Because the more I get obstacles in front of me, the harder I push. And I'm the kind of person, I never give up — I never give up on anything. If I set a goal, that's it. And whether that goal is to break through the industry barrier, or the goal is to achieve something, whatever it may be, that might actually be so difficult that you think that you can't do it... And so when I had the injury in a car crash, I was told by the doctor that I was gonna get better. I was never told I was never gonna get better. And even if they told me that, I woud have said, 'Well, watch me. I'll do it.' Because I'm that kind of person. It's a total personality thing. If I set out, 'This is the way it's gonna be,' that's it — there's nothing stopping it." Malmsteen recently completed the second 2017 leg of his "World On Fire" U.S. headlining tour. Yngwie's previous U.S. trek marked his first run of dates in the States since 2016 when he took part in the "Generation Axe" tour alongside Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde, Nuno Bettencourt and Tosin Abasi, playing to more than seventy thousand people over twenty-seven shows. Yngwie's latest album, "World On Fire", came out in June 2016 via King Records.

Continue reading...