Yngwie's Attack!!

Dado-x

Senior Citizen
Sep 17, 2002
Slovenia
Visit site
Just listening to it...
Big improvement over WTEAW, much better production and Dougie White is excellent!
Standout tracks: Ship Of Fools, Stronghold, In The Name Of God, Valhalla.
Even Yngwie is singing on one of the tracks called
'Freedom Isn't Free', which is very cool and hilarious, but he can actually sing very well - 70's soul and disco type of vocal. :)
In overall, very well done job by The Viking Chief himself.
Thumbs up!

Originally posted by The Yngster
Just tell me one thing before I head out and buy it. Does he ever slow it down on the album? Or is every solo still him blazing at extremely high speeds non-stop.

Not always non-stop. :D
Actually, there is an instrumental called Air, where you can't hear one single fast lick. Also 'Majestic Blue', which is also another instrumental, has solos that are mostly slow and emotional. You can hear Blackmore's influence on that one. I mostly buy Yngwie's albums because of great songs instead of just hearing him play solos. Sure, instrumentals are great, but real songs are excellent.
Highly recomended!

An excellent "return" album for Yngwie. I had the good fortune of listening to this prior to the promo of The Odyssey. Wow, I'm still reeling.

I ordered this on Amazon, and I am awaiting its arrival. I hope it is as good as you guys say it is. I was very disappointed with WTEAW so I am hoping for a strong return. I don't expect it to top SyX, but Yngwie does have an incredible fire in his playing when he is in top form.

Well I cant say I agree here. I heard Attack! and to me its another muddy basement recording from Yngwie. Tunes had potential but this production from him as of late is horrid.

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
But it's not The Odyssey :p

No, it most certainly is not!

Btw, I just noticed that the mp3 offered on the official SX homepage sounds much better than the version on the promo I've heard (i.e. the drums are "fuller" and have more presence in the mix). Hooray!

Positives:

1. Mix is much better than WTEAW. While not excellent, it is very good.

2. Some new things by Yngwie, and some nice melodies in some of the tunes. A few of the songs are very good...for example, the main riff to "Valley of the Kings" is excellent, and the faint distance backing vocals are cool. I also like the little classical interlude in the middle of the song. "Ship of Fools" is good too, with a catchy vocal melody, and as sick as I get of Yngwie's descending pedal point lines sometimes, I like them as a part of the main melody of this song. "Valhalla" is a great tune, and Yngwie, again while doing the same 3-string arpeggios and descending pedal point lines, at least mixes the two together in an interesting fasion in this tune.

3. Yngwie's playing is as fast and clean as ever

4. Doogie's singing is very good

Negatives:

1. Some of the songs I could do without. For example, "Mad Dog", while has a cool riff, has a terrible vocal melody and overall is a very uninteresting tune.

2. Yngwie's guitar solos sound extremely stale to my ears. Occasionally he'll surprise me with something different but overall I'm hearing tons of moving up and down harmonic minor scales, either linearly or in groups of 4 moving up or down diatonically. Not a lot of dynamics in his solos as in his early stuff....for the most part he goes 180 mph from beginning to end. I feel I could take any Yngwie guitar solo on any of the songs or any recent albums and just exchange them and not notice a difference.

3. Keyboards are very little used, which is a shame because he had a great player in Derek Sherinian.

4. Rhythm guitar sound is muddy, although that is typical of all Yngwie albums since he doesn't use different amp settings for his rhythm sound and Strats have an overall muddy rhythm sound to them as it is.

5. Lots of repetition of ideas...for example, the reworking of the "Motherless Child" riff. Song structures are really repetitive, too...for example, listen to the consistent interludes after a chorus, followed by a chord change and a 180 mph guitar solo.

Overall, better than WTEAW and Alchemy, but not as good as FTA. A step in the right direction but I'd like to see Yngwie take bigger steps.

What I would like to see Yngwie do:

1. Feature keyboards more. Not necessarily key/guitar solo exchanges (although those are cool), but more interesting interplay between keyboards and guitar, like counterpoint ideas. Listen to any Symphony X CD and that's how I'd like to see Yngwe start to utilize keys. Get progressive.

2. Play with some odd meter ideas...get a bit "out there" and experiment.

3. Get more musically complex. A lot of Yngwie's music is very simple compositionally...again, I'd like to see a more progressive approach. For example, "Icarus Dream Suite" off the first album is an example of a progressive tune...a lot of variation and different melodic ideas, and very little repetition in the song. A long song yet keeps your interest from beginning to end.

4. I think Yngwie could stand for more variation without necessarily departing from his style. For example, Yngwie uses a lot of pedal point ideas, but he's limited in how he uses them...for example, how about some ascending lines over a pedal tone? It's rare to hear Yngwie do that...I almost always hear descending lines. There's a lot of ways to explore the ideas of using pedal tones...Yngwie has only scratched the surface. Listen to Vinnie Moore...there's a guy who uses pedal tones in a variety of ways. I guess what I would like is for Yngwie to sound different from album to album, while still keeping his style. Symphony X does this...every album sounds different, yet they all sound like Symphony X.

5. Maybe try <gasp> working a solo out rather than improvising? I know that's heresy in Yngwie's world, but it might help break the staleness. When solos are improvised constantly, the soloist has a tendency to constantly reach into the old bag of tricks.

Well, that's my review. Attack! is about what I expected from Yngwie. Not a bad effort but nothing to knock my socks off either.

Agree

A little step forward, but I'm not so enthusiastic about this new one. I mean the production is a bit (a little bit) improved and the song are all quite enjoyable, there' more variety than in the near past and Doogie is a great singer, but still there's something missing. From the very beginning of his career every album was something different, special, with a strong identity, while Alchemy, WTEOW and Attack sound just the same. Attack also miss a real killer track like "Leonardo" for Alchemy. There's nothing memorable. I listened to it about five times and I still couldn't remember a single passage.
Good for Malmsteen' maniacs, useless for the others.
:zzz:

Somewhere I read that Yngwie has about 150 complete and unreleased songs. Maybe that explains the reason why his biggest problem in composing has been from the beginning too simple structured songs. He should concentrate more to composing, and not just make a song in a few minutes. Then his albums would be more interesting and simply better. However, Attack! is much better than alchemy and war to end all wars.
One song in Attack!, now I don't remember what it was, has an unbelievable keyboard solo. That's one reason, why I'm wondering why keyboards are featured so little otherwise.
I agree with Yngvai_Malmsteve's "rewiev".

Originally posted by Yngvai_Malmsteve
2. Yngwie's guitar solos sound extremely stale to my ears. Occasionally he'll surprise me with something different but overall I'm hearing tons of moving up and down harmonic minor scales, either linearly or in groups of 4 moving up or down diatonically. Not a lot of dynamics in his solos as in his early stuff....for the most part he goes 180 mph from beginning to end. I feel I could take any Yngwie guitar solo on any of the songs or any recent albums and just exchange them and not notice a difference.

Thats all you had to tell me, I'll be steering clear of this one. He really better get himself together, having solos at this point is becoming pointless, they are all the same thing. No matter how melodic the song is, or no matter what the mood of the song is, the solo is going to be just blazing fast scales, which gets very boring. I've heard a rumor that he is putting out a blues album sometime in the future, hopefully he'll do that one right.