You are a Christian band?

They choose to use their talents in a way that honors the One that gave them those talents - an honorable and respectable decision that more musicians who are Christians should be willing to make, in my opinion.

They are doing something far greater than making money or being famous or turning heads - they are turning hearts and minds and souls towards God and one person who benefits from it is worth more than all the money and fame in the world!

Keep it up guys! I'm praying for you.

Well, I believe Theocracy is a Christian band for a fairly simple reason.

When people (specifically musicians) are influenced by something, they are fairly often prompted to write. Look at any musician, from any genre, and you'll find examples of songs written about topics that affected the songwriter personally.

As you can imagine, being an authentic Christian (not like I-Go-To-Church-Every-Once-In-A-While-Therefore-I'm-A-Christian type... more on that another time) has a tremendous impact on one's life. This impact is reflected in Theocracy's music.

If your question was more as to why Theocracy believes what they believe, I'm sure if you just ask, Matt or one of the others would be more then happy to answer you. Same goes for pretty much all of us here, who believe. Additionally, I'm kind of into what's called apologetics - Scientifically and logically validating my faith. I'd be more then happy to explore those subjects with you.

Hope that answered your question!

Well said kenneth and snowmankiller.

I came back here on a random thought to check my wording in my post. I know how sometimes a person's tone can be very misleading online! I never mean to seem rough or single minded.

And like you said snowmankiller, none of us can answer FOR them, but in general terms, we can offer some light onto the subject of Christianity and Christian music at large :) ...

Hey samiso--
Welcome to the boards. :) We are indeed a Christian band. Why? Well...it's what we believe, and as the guys above said, it's nice to do something that (hopefully) has a deeper resonance than the typical search for money/fame/whatever.

When I was growing up, I wanted so bad to find good Metal with an intelligent approach to Christianity and an ambivalence towards trends, but all I could ever find in the Christian shops was either screamy bands (not my thing), bands trying to sound exactly like whatever happened to be on top of the secular charts at the time (embarrassing and second-rate), or completely shallow and repetitive fluff.

So I try to use Theocracy as a vehicle to fill some of those voids, and show that Christian music can be honest, personal and thought-provoking, and not just lame and second-rate. Heck, I think the most creative, inspiring and groundbreaking people in the world should be believers, and as a whole we're seriously dropping the ball on that front.

We have all kinds of listeners, all the way from fundamental believers to hardcore atheists. People appreciate honesty, and we never try to force anyone into a certain belief system (like that would ever be possible anyway)...I just try to write from the heart. So no matter who you are and what you do or don't believe...welcome and thanks for listening.

"I think the most creative, inspiring and groundbreaking people in the world should be believers, and as a whole we're seriously dropping the ball on that front."
I agree and I think we drop the ball to the extend to which we compromise. A life that is dedicated to God is sure to be filled with creativity, inpiration and power. We start compromising and living for ourselves, while we still are called christians, but are filled with mediocrity... and unfortunately that's what the world ends up perceiving: Christianity = mediocrity. But, a life filled with God is the opposite of this image, it's filled with passion and life: the life that comes from knowing Him.

Excellent reply Matt. Well said.

And I as a believer, thank you for making the style of music that I enjoy, and being totally inspired by God while doing it. I know that you guys will be blessed for that..just wait and see. :headbang:

And low, God did see that there was a serious lack of ass-kicking, name-taking, Christian Progressive Metal. So he spaketh unto Matt saying "build me a band. A good one with lots of harmonies and not too much repetition. Let there be long, Christian radio unfriendly songs, and lots of complex imagery. And let it be wrapped up in uncompromising guitar solos and pounding bass lines and relentless drums that switch into melodramatic time signatures at just the right moment. Thou shalt call this band Theocracy."

And that's the true story of how Theocracy got started. Matt might claim otherwise but he's just being humble.

And low, God did see that there was a serious lack of ass-kicking, name-taking, Christian Progressive Metal. So he spaketh unto Matt saying "build me a band. A good one with lots of harmonies and not too much repetition. Let there be long, Christian radio unfriendly songs, and lots of complex imagery. And let it be wrapped up in uncompromising guitar solos and pounding bass lines and relentless drums that switch into melodramatic time signatures at just the right moment. Thou shalt call this band Theocracy."

And that's the true story of how Theocracy got started. Matt might claim otherwise but he's just being humble.
Matt, if Theocracy ever does a documentary of its beginnings, this quote must appear at the outset. It's the most amazing thing I've heard in a long time.

\m/

One of the best things about Theocracy has always been its incredibly intelligent approach to Christianity. If all Christians were believers in the same respectful, thoughtful manner as Matt and co., there would be no power in the howling, spite-filled Christian-bashing that makes up 9/10 of everything unfortunately called "metal" (and I mean the real bashing, not Tobi Sammet saying, "hey, guys, the Inquisition sucked.")

I'm not exactly a "believer"--I think there's power in the universe beyond our comprehension that deserves respect, but not necessarily understandable in human terms--but I absolutely love Theocracy for transcending the foolishness of so much religious-oriented music. I never would have though I could enjoy this much an album where every song had religious connotations.

We have all kinds of listeners, all the way from fundamental believers to hardcore atheists. People appreciate honesty, and we never try to force anyone into a certain belief system (like that would ever be possible anyway)...I just try to write from the heart. So no matter who you are and what you do or don't believe...welcome and thanks for listening.
I think this speaks volumes. I'm not a Christian. I'm also not an atheist. I'm sort of in between, someone who believes in the possibilities of all things. But I do despise bands that preach in a pretentious, holier-than-thou manner. Whether it be Christian bands, straightedge hardcore bands, political bands, or whatever; if it comes across like I'm being told I'm wrong, then it ruins the experience.

I'm a huge fan of Ani Difranco, and I disagree with a lot of what she says, especially her views on racism, but she speaks these views in such an intelligent and poetic manner, then I can do nothing but respect it. I disagree, but respect what she says. The same can be said for Theocracy. I don't necessarily agree with the lyrical content, but it's done in a manner that is intelligent and thought-provoking.

So they're Christian. Most important, I think, they're damn good at what they do.

Well said, everyone.

I'd like to add that I feel many bands today are only christian for the sake of being christian. Fortunately, there are bands like Theocracy that make me feel that indeed I'm listening to christian music without a forced message. And from all those worthy christian bands, Theocracy is the one that moved me beyond anything else and had been giving me tremendous support during a specific difficult period of my life.

As a listener, I try not to seperate between christian and secular music. However, I find that my favourite albums barely include any secular ones.

Finally, good music seldom comes from the USA (when people there think only of hardcore and other junk when they hear the term metal music, what do you expect?) so Theocracy is an exception to that as well.