Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Camel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PFM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Hahaha, Dream Theater are the worst "prog" band ever. They aren't actually prog at all, they are more of a retro band. They aren't doing anything new or original, except they are taking something that was actually kind of interesting from the 70's and turning it into the most godawful tripe ever.

King Crimson. They're THE defining prog rock group... After that Pink Floyd and 3rd place is tied ELP and Yes. Jethro Tull is great too, though... Bah, all those bands are great.

pfft at the flamming of dream theater.
they ARE progressive metal. your the first person ive heard say they arent.
i am not the biggest fan of progressive metal, but i acknowledge "technical ecstasy" (to rip off sabbath) when i hear it. they dont have the best sound of all time, but they are fine musicians.

misfit said:
pfft at the flamming of dream theater.
they ARE progressive metal. your the first person ive heard say they arent.
i am not the biggest fan of progressive metal, but i acknowledge "technical ecstasy" (to rip off sabbath) when i hear it. they dont have the best sound of all time, but they are fine musicians.

Their style hasn't really progressed any since Awake (which is their best IMO and also one of my favorites from any band) so I'd be hard pressed to call them progressive..on one hand, they don't really do a thing new at all, on the other hand, they do tend to keep their own identity, but it's the same problem with Opeth. First couple albums, great stuff, good creativity, after that they become a parody of their own "progression"..

By the definition of progessive, it has to do something different, pushing either their own sound forward or the sound of the entire genre forward. Compared to bands like King Crimson, Dream Theater are actually moving things backwards, and King Crimson started over 30 years ago!!!! Dream Theater are the ANTITHESIS of progressive.

Orion Crystal Ice said:
Their style hasn't really progressed any since Awake (which is their best IMO and also one of my favorites from any band) so I'd be hard pressed to call them progressive..on one hand, they don't really do a thing new at all, on the other hand, they do tend to keep their own identity, but it's the same problem with Opeth. First couple albums, great stuff, good creativity, after that they become a parody of their own "progression"..

I think they are definitely progressive and are one of the better bands of their crafts, though not one of my favorites less the "Images and Words" release. I really can't see how you don't consider them prog though. DT and FW put progressive metal on the map of metal. I personally think there are better prog bands out there like Vanden Plas (good place to insert Bryant's typical VP promo) and this new Redemption.

Bryant

ergh..
Where is the best band ever (in general)
and i mean, where is :
RUSH
?
that is the best prog band ever , best band ever in the galaxy...
about Dream Theater, i like them but they are just "rush and Yes-go metal" thing ...

King Crimson due to the greatness of their 70's, 90's and 00's stuff! Really fucking amazing that one man can produce so much great stuff that does and doesn't sound similar. I tip my hat to mr. Fripp.

Planet X are an amazing band with a ridiculously high level of musicianship. Virgil Donati is definitely one of the best drummers out there!

LuminousAether said:
By the definition of progessive, it has to do something different, pushing either their own sound forward or the sound of the entire genre forward. Compared to bands like King Crimson, Dream Theater are actually moving things backwards, and King Crimson started over 30 years ago!!!! Dream Theater are the ANTITHESIS of progressive.

AGREEEEEEE!!!!!!!

dream theater experimented REGRESSIVE METAL
lol.gif

:D