Your Gateway Metal Bands

Spiderchrist

The Unjesus
Jul 9, 2011
Churning Sea of Absu
What got you into metal?
It may be pathetic, but Linkin Park around the era of Hybrid Theory did it for me. From there I got into System Of A Down and then came Metallica, and from there it was other Thrash, Death Metal, and Black Metal.

progression went roughly like this

Metallica -- Iced Earth -- Nevermore/Opeth -- everything else

Dream Theater was there somewhere in the mix. Prior to Metallica I listened to whatever nu-metal was popular at the moment. That and ska

When I got past the time when I'd listen to anything and didn't care what it was, I got into classic rock. From that I got into Dream Theater and Metallica, then the rest of metal came from that.

Oh, and in before someone points out that Linkin Park isn't metal.

Korn > Metallica > Opeth. Despite the heavy Opeth hate around here, the fans of Opeth have done a great job of sharing and broadening my music interests.

First few metal bands: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

Then Opeth got me into Death metal. Made me start liking death growls.

Burzum for black metal.

I pretty much just started researching where to go from there.

Alice Cooper and Guns 'n Roses -> Metallica and Megadeth -> Iron Maiden -> everything else.

I know I've answered this question before, but:

Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, Led Zepplin > Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest > Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer > Deicide, Cannibal Corpse > Cradle Of Filth, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir > everything else

Nirvana, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi ----> Metallica, Iron Maiden, Savatage -----> In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, My Dying Bride ----> Opeth, Agalloch, Ulver -----> Everything else

Had been listening to heavy stuff for a while, but wasn't until I started listening to the early Metallica albums that I really got into Metal.

From there on out I went to Megadeth > Slayer > Black Sabbath blablabla...

Iron Maiden -> Helloween/Stratovarius/Sonata Arctica -> Children of Bodom -> Dissection & everything else

Dissection got me into black metal and Skid Row into glam metal. Into death metal I got pretty late as I though most of it was boring shit like Cannibal Corpse, but luckily I heard Repugnant and Vital Remains.