Your Ideal Of "the Artist"

lord667

=UM=Heartburn
May 13, 2002
Coventry, UK
www.geocities.com
I got the film Amadeus on DVD a couple of days ago, and one of the things that really struck me was Antonio Salieri's astonishment at how a boozing, roaring, rogering, farting, vulgar young fiend like Wolfgang Mozart could be producing such heavenly music. Do you have your own ideals of what an artist should be like? Or some personality trait that you think is the mark of a "true artist"? Is true that not just any old Joe Bloggs can make a good artist of himself, or is that just elitist claptrap, and anyone can be an artist?

I think an 'artist' is almost irrelevant in terms of the importance/value of the art itself. If an artist has a recognizable style, then that's fine, but I think to genuinely be praise-worthy, the term 'artist' should involve some elitism in terms of the skill involved. That's one reason I for one value abstract (shitty) 'modern art' as art in itself but I refuse to credit the creators as 'artists' per se, because there's little to no talent or thought put into them. If there IS lots of thought, it's abstract in terms of the representation in the art itself, and so is relatively useless as a meritable trait in regards the rest of society.

usually artists have some common features (a particular sensitiveness, creativity, moodiness, they're often absent minded) that ended up with creating a stereotype of the figure.
while, on one hand, i think some of those aforementioned characteristics are essential to be considered an artist (and to choose art as one's primary path in life - with all the downsides that can imply), on the other hand i wouldn't mention particular skills or a particularly high IQ amongst the fundamental features.
leonardo da vinci had both a great intelligence and an unquestionable ability in many fields, while the painter who sells his works at the local fair or the esponents of some kind of art might lack in both. they're all "artists". leonardo was a genius (even if he wasn't as weird as the painter who lives close to where i used to live).

as for that film, i saw it something like ten years ago; i don't remember it much, but the way mozart's life was depicted was certainly fascinating.

I personally can't really connect people's personality or emotion to their artistic ability.

I am an artist. Painting, and creative self-expression in general, has always been my LIFE. And -coincidentally or not, I dunno;)- I must admit that I do have quite an addictive/indulging personality.

The Lantern Nut said:
I am an artist. Painting, and creative self-expression in general, has always been my LIFE. And -coincidentally or not, I dunno;)- I must admit that I do have quite an addictive/indulging personality.
That seems to be a common theme amongst the more creative sort. Kudos to you for avoiding 'addicting' as well. >_<