Zhongguo

luke

Messianic Subliminal Mind
May 2, 2001
Soapland
Visit site
Well, I think I got a bit fired up on the other thread, so I'm going to let it out a bit here.
1. China and Tibet
How much do you actually know on the subject? Seeing as the past is past, I will discuss the present and future. Tibet is extremely isolated geographically. With very little arable land, and limited species that can grow in the harsh climate, Tibet is without an economically viable agriculture industry. The low education rate means there are not the facilities nor the technicians to operate a hi-tech industry. As far as I know there has been no oil field discovered under Tibet. This means that the number one source of income for Tibet is tourism. Due to the nature of terrain, overland travel into Tibet is very dangerous. The Chinese government has closed these roads to foreigners under the pretense of liability, although many feel it was done to protect politically sensitive areas. To enter Tibet you must fly or come from Nepal. The Chinese government has recently unveiled plans to build a railway link to Lhasa. This would increase the flow of tourists into Tibet, and bring much needed foreign exchange onto the market.
In fact the situation in Tibet before Chinese occupation was a feudal system dominated by the religion based government. (If we were talking about a Muslim country and not a Buddhist state everybody would be singing a different song). Anything that currently resembles a modern economy in Tibet is courtesy of the Chinese. Were they to withdraw now, Tibet would be unable to maintain economic growth, and would probably become the poorest nation in Asia.
While many westerners feel for the Buddhists who have been persecuted, they don't seem aware that only one side of the story is being told. And while everybody is happy to jump on the back of the Chinese, how many people would be willing to support the massive financial strain of providing aid to Tibet were it to be autonomous.
It seems that in other areas of the world where we have stepped in to prevent injustice we have forgotten about hte people we helped as soon as the fight was over. Do you see the UN building a new railway into Kosovo or Rwanda?

2. The Olympics

Since when has the olympics become a political tool for one nation to judge another's policies, and force them into conforming to what is considered acceptable behavior?

Unrelatedly, how does everyone feel about the inclusion for professional athlete into the olympics?

I really have no idea/opinion about the whole Tibet/China thing.. but I did once ask a Chinese friend of mine what she thought of it, and she said it's really a non-issue over there. But that's all I got out of her.

In terms of Olympics, it's been a political tool for ages. People boycotted, people are murdered, conspiracies and plots abound. I think the IOC, knowing the lengths to which a country/region will clean itself up in the expectation of a billion plus people being inundated with images of it for several weeks, was hoping that China would pick itself up to not appear..well..uncivilized?

And, once things are cleaned up, try to keep them that way for the "benefit" of all.

Is it a good idea? I don' t know. Will it work? I think so. With the promise of the Olympics coming to town, ghettos will be razed, new buildings erected, new markets will open for advertising and merchandising. The already-militant Chinese will likely do anything to keep its image in check while everyone is watching. Those buildings don't come down after the events are over.

For the inclusion of professional athletes.. Since my family was a big figure-skating watching family, I'll work off what I've been force-fed. I always viewed professional athletes as those who can no longer compete, due to age, health, or just desire. The figure skaters will make their money off endorsements (usually very cheesy) and travelling figure-skating shows. I think, as a high-profile amateur athlete, the endorsements alone would provide you with enough money to survive quite well, so becoming professional wouldn't have a draw. I think most professionals are probably out of the loop, so to speak, enough to hinder their abilities when it comes to the world's best competition. The way I see it, it'll still be primarily amateurs making up the ranks of athletes...

But that's just the way this uninformed mind sees it...

Oh yeah, I was speaking of the physical image more than the political. Those issues are being well dealt with in another thread, and I don't profess to be well-educated about them to say anything of consequence.

I'll say this though, Hitler got the Olympics in 1936. This was before all mass killings, but he'd made his views clear, if I'm not mistaken.

Which I could be.

Just like 2 mention, don't forget that South Africa weren't allowed in the olympics untill they had abolished apartheid. That at least shows they are poltical. Hitler used the olympics to "show the Nazi's supremacy". I think no world event like that could possible avoid being political however much it tried.