Advice needed on multi channel interface

Feb 8, 2009
Sweden
www.crystallight.se
Hi,

Today I am using a DAW interface with only two inputs (TC Konnekt 6). I am looking to expand to at least eight channel interface. I do have a Focusrite Octopre with 8 pre amp channels (without ADAT option), so I would survive with only line inputs if needed.
Is an old M-Audio delta 1010 good enough or should I go for something newer/better? Budget is an issue.
I have a desk top music computer so can use USB/PCI/Firewire.

As for sound quality it needs to be "good enough" to record CD releases.

So what do you guys think?

I've had experience with two that might suit your needs: the Presonus Firepod (older model FP-10) and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. The Saffire Pro is my current interface, and I'm very pleased with it. Great routing features with the included software (can be a little cumbersome to learn initially, but once your up and running its great), two independent HP outs, plenty of inputs and outputs for recording most things (8 mic/line inputs, two of which will also accept instruments DI's), and most of all, good stability and reliability with my windows setup. Can't really compare the sound quality to much, since I've only owned one other interface, but I have never felt like the interface was holding me back in doing what I want to do. I always liked my Firepod too; it was reliable with my system and had plenty of features for me at the time, although I really think I'd miss the Focusrite's routing if I were forced back into using the Firepod. I can't comment either way on any of Presonus's current offerings, though, since it's been awhile since I've owned the Firepod.

What is your approximate budget? Looks like the Saffire is currently going for about $500 new, although I bought mine on sale a year ago for $375.

Thanks!
The Saffire Pro 40 is within my budget. If I got that interface and put a adat card in my Octopre, I would be able to get another 8 channels through ADAT, right?

Yep, that's my understanding at least. I haven't made use of the ADAT features on the Saffire yet, but just by looking at the routing in the Saffire software mixer, you'd be able to use the 8 inputs of the Saffire simultaneously with the 8 inputs of your Octopre thru the Saffire's ADAT inputs.