An SSL-related rant...

NK

Complete Bastard
Sep 8, 2001
USA
www.auslander.net
Over the last few months I've been assessing peoples' opinions on their favourite mic pres. A couple of years ago I did a very extensive mic pre test, pitting 4 or 5 different Neve pres against API, SSL and a number of other *boutique* pres I'd gathered for the tests along the way. The hands down winner, utilising the gracious services of a panel of 3 unbiased listeners, was the SSL "E" pre (followed fairly closely by the API). I used the exact same cabling for the tests, from the mic to the pre and the pre to the recorder. No other variables were present.

These tests prompted me to write the opening to this thread. I honestly think that SSL pres, and desks in general, get a very bad, and completely undeserved, rap. I think this was originally based on the sound of their first desk, which had rather *spiky* EQ. As a result, and also most probably from it also being used by some people who weren't that familiar with its ergonomic layout, and who were subsequently thrashing around frantically trying to EQ things, the infamous SSL *harsh and spiky* legend was born. Of course, if you've ever used an SSL desk, you'll fully appreciate the massive power of the EQ, but also how fierce and unnerving it can be if the bandwidth is set to too narrow. Personally, this is one of the things I love about SSL EQ - the fact that you can get in there and virtually perform surgery on the sound. Of course, in the *wide* setting, the EQ is just that, very responsive, broad parametric EQ.

So..I honestly feel that SSL - the company - has got this massive hurdle to overcome - a hurdle that was unfairly placed upon them by unfamiliar users who were taken aback by the responsiveness of the EQ, and, with the settings perhaps unwittingly set to narrow bandwidth, users who were horrified at how brutal the EQ could be. Only someone who has used and abused (and subsequently enjoyed) this EQ will know exactly what I'm talking about here.

I work at SSL studios all the time - they are my desk of choice. I spend most of my waking hours in SSL rooms, and these days I'm finding myself confronted by yet another very odd phenomenon - studio staff seem to have started getting this idea that SSL pres and EQ are no good, and that it's better to use "outboard pres and EQ" instead.

My assessment of this is that this is a direct result of the convergence of two different worlds - the pro audio world, and the semi-pro, home studio world. Over the last 15 years, many home studios have sprung up, some with decent gear, others with horrible stuff in them, and the result has seen a real necessity for audio manufacturers to begn to develop and build affordable mic pres/eqs that owners of home studios can afford. An average SSL channel strip costs in the region of $5000 - $12000, so you can imagine that they are very well put together with sonic quality in mind, but of course are way out of the typical consumer's price range. Fast forward to today, where the voodoo that surrounds "outboard mic pres" is incredibly thick, and we can now witness this bizarre convergence where a full on pro studio owner HAS to go out and buy additional mic pres AS WELL AS having a full pro desk as well. It's all a matter of having to keep up with the Joneses, to have to at least show you'll compete in an arena that is potentially a number of levels below that of pro audio, in my opinion, and as the results of my extensive tests bear out, with the SSL pres winning blind tests hands down, I think that it's a potentially huge waste of money for studio owners as well. Yes of course it's nice to have choices, but 15 years ago you would choose a studio for the desk that it provided. If you wanted a Neve room, you'd book it - if you wanted an SSL room, you book that instead. Nowadays, there's this weird negative stigma aimed towards SSL desks that is so totally undeserved, and is probably perpetuated by people who heard "bad things" about the early EQ, or who had trouble negotiating the bandwidth controls. As a result, there's a plethora of, in my opinion, inferior products out there cannibalising and dissipating the good SSL reputation, largely based on the failed exploits of a few novices.

Whatever the eventual outcome of this remarkably odd situation, my feeling is that SSL make fantastic products and I will most certainly continue to use them without reservation.

Neil K.

Nice rant Neil. I am in no way an engineer or have any qualirfications to back up my opinions. That being said, in my opinion the combination of 2 inch tape and SSL, engineered by someone who knows what they are doing, of course, yields some of the best production results I have ever heard.

When recording my bands first album we did just that. The SSL board in the studios we used (Metropolis Studios, Mass with Jim LIghtman, now in Nashville) had just come off the Saturday Night LIve set and was used to mix the SNL band for years. I was astounded at what this board could do. It gave us such a warm and up front sound. This was also the first time I had been exposed to Proools . It was around 1996. jim tracked us on 2 inch and then moved it all in Protools to clean it up a bit and then dumped it back to the SSL. I think we spent 12 days total, and looking back I wish we had a bit more time so we could really tweak the tracks. Nuno was also tracking some of his first solo album the same time we were there and hearing the results he was getting from the same set up further proved my opinion of what a great quality SSL was.

If could choose again, I would definitely choose that combination again. I wish 2inch would be something more utiilzed these days. The combination of digital and analogue is a incredible combination imo.
Hope this wasn't too off topic Neil.

Joel

Well Neil, all I can speak in regard to is the studios here in Melbourne. With that in mind, only the premier studios use SSL desks. Whenever a band manage to book one of the odd 3 or 4 studios here that actually have an SSL desk, they're totally wrapped. Whatever stigma there is about SSL desks, it certainly doesn't seem to have taken hold here in Australia. All I hear all day from local engineers is how fantastic working an SSL right into PT is. And to go into Joel's topic a bit... how fantastic it is to bus the drums and slam em through the 2' tape machine.

I've personally never heard an SSL desk in person, nor any comparison of the mic pres, but with the respect that people reffer to them, I certainly look forward to the day I do.

SSLs are great desks. That's my point. I don't have a problem with them at all, but I constantly hear moaning that they don't sound very good. Weird. I've probably done over 200 albums on them since 1982. And as far as 2 inch tape goes, it can't be beaten for sound quality (if you want real fatness that is). The "all digital guys" will probably disagree with me there of course.

Neil K.

*cue: Andy and James walk in bearing pitchforks* :).

I think that's the fantastic thing about this field. Nobody is really right and it all comes down to prefference, which is why there's such a diverse array of album sounds out there.

Yep. There's no right or wrong in audio. It's all personal preference, and whatever works best for the project and the people involved in it.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
hey asgeir, are you the guy playing on Ihsahn's solo album or am I confusing you with someone else? :)

That's him! Asgeir from Spiral Architect and Borknagar, among others.

Personally I find SSL to be perfect for finishing things up. If I eq on the way to tape/disk, I prefer to use something a bit fatter, like Neve, Focusrite,, Amek etc. I'd normally use SSL on the mixing end as it's great for focusing the end result.

Have you read the interview with Andy Wallace in Mix Magazine? He says he has all sorts of outboard gear but really cant see why he needs to use it. He finds the SSL eqs, gates and comps totally adequate. He can do the job with them and doesnt have to waste time reaching for shit that may or may not work. He loves SSL. After hearing his work, I'd have to conclude SSL = Quality.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I'm in total agreement with Andy - been mainly using SSL now since 1979 and it's definitely my favourite. This post has sort of wandered back and forth but my original point was that SSLs are, in my opinion, underappreciated, and often much maligned. Prior to SSL I used Trident consoles for years, and there's simply no comparison between the two.