Angel Dust - Of Human Bondage

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ANGEL DUST – OF HUMAN BONDAGE
Century Media - 2002

By Rodrigo

Three successful albums in a row topped by 2000’s Enlighten the Darkness had placed Angel Dust as one of the bands to watch out for and many, including me, were highly anticipating what the next offering would be. Of Human Bondage is that album and things have definitely changed. For starters, guitarist Bernd Aufermann left the band last year and in came Ritchie Wilkinson and this definitely had to have had a big impact on the songwriting. Of Human Bondage finds the band at a simpler, heavier, angrier and thrashier musical stage. This final result is one of mixed emotions. While this new musical direction is definitely aggressive, what made Angel Dust stand out from the rest was the use of melodies and keyboards that united with heavier parts made for an excellent combination. This time there is more emphasis on the aggression and maybe something was lost in the process.

Don’t get me wrong. There are some excellent songs in Of Human Bondage. Album opener "The Human Bondage" is a pure rush of adrenaline with the pounding drums, thrashy guitars and still containing the keyboards. The greatest part of this song has to be right after the excellent guitar solo (3:08-3:25) where Dirk is singing "I HATE YOU!" with an excellent guitar riff driving the part. "Inhuman" is another great head banging tune with the vocal melodies of the chorus reminding me of previous albums. The same formula is applied with "Unreal Soul" another of the standout tracks. "Freedom Awaits" is the sort of song I wanted to hear more of. It starts off with a keyboard melody, the verse is calm and when you hear the chorus it all comes together beautifully. This is the sort of song that differentiated Angel Dust and this definitely is my favorite song of the album. "The Cultman" is a great power ballad that starts off slowly with acoustic guitars and great atmosphere and then halfway through the song the tempo picks up. I guess I have the biggest problem with the middle and heaviest songs of the album. While they aren’t bad at all, they have some really cool parts, I just don’t think they succeed like the other songs I have mentioned. Finally, there is a cover of Seal’s "Killer" and it actually sounds really cool but I have no idea how it compares to the original.

Maybe its just that I liked Enlighten the Darkness so much that no matter what the next album was going to be I would have been slightly disappointed by it. Of Human Bondage is not a bad album, I don’t get any negative feelings when I listen to it. Instead its more just disappointment and thinking that maybe it could have been better. Maybe this is the album that the band works out all the kinks of this new direction and the next album will contain the strongest elements. Still Of Human Bondage has great elements in it and overall it’s a solid yet underwhelming release.

Century Media Website
Angel Dust Official Website

I agree with you that Cultman and Freedom Awaits are the standouts, and unfortunately only these, Forever, and Inhuman really live up to the last few albums...and even then they would be overpowered if placed on ETD. I can't help but feel a lot of wasted potential and struggle for inspiration, undoubtedly caused at least in part by the departure of the highly skilled Bernd Aufermann, here.

I woulnd not hold this release as high as ETD or Bleed, but this is still a very good album!!! Of Human Bondage is by far the bands heaviest release. I strongly urge any fan of power metal or Angel Dust to give this album a listen before paying any heed to the above two reviews. Both these reviews are based upon personal expectations as opposed to the music itself.