Anything similar to heavy riff of manifold curiosity?

metalgrunge

New Metal Member
Sep 15, 2014
Hello. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start here with a question I've been wondering about since years ago when I first heard kayo dots COTE. I always thought the short heavy riff toward the end of the manifold curiosity was a real catchy sound. I'm not sure how to describe the distortion set up but it almost seems like stoner rock riffs but much heavier, meaning it kinda has a slow chugging sound but faster than the doom metal riffs I've heard. I'm not familiar with a lot of metal bands but I've searched for that sound throughout the years and came up with nothing. Just wondering if I could get some recommendations regarding it. Thanks for reading.

yo metalgrunge

i'm not often thinking of other bands when i listen to cote, but i guess that section sort of resonates, for me, with some of esoteric's zippier moments, a bit of tool, possibly certain gaza moments or something like that... lots of things and nothing quite at all.

i imagine it as coming from having deeply internalized tons of different heavy music, to the point where a very idiosyncratic musical idea is able to be spoken through the 'clothing' of that aesthetic; it just strikes me as such a unique expression of 'that type of thing' that it's not even really 'that type of thing' anymore. it certainly stands out in the context of the album, and any way you slice it, what a great denouement for the piece!

Hey, thanks a lot inkb for the well written post and advice
I'm going to try to find the bands u mentioned so I van sample some stuff.