Atomic Soul

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
Not sure if this topic is fit for this part of the forum and if it's not I apologize, but regardless, I need to speak my mind.

I just got back from purchasing Russell's solo album, Atomic Soul and I must say he didn't let me down. His voice on this album does what I always knew it could do; it tosses soul all over the place, and with power too. Don't get me wrong, the guitar is amazing too. I was quite surprised when I heard Romeo playing them blues riffs, but he does an amazing job. As good as everything else is on the album, it's really about the vocals, man. If you haven't gotten a copy of this incredible, soulful album yet, get off your ass and go spend your hard-earned money on it. You won't be disappointed...unless you hate blues / oldschool southern rock, then you'll probably hate it :lol:

Atomic Soul is just what is says...Atomic Soul. Bleeding from the heart :headbang:

GAH! I wish I could sing like that...Russell, start giving vocal lessons right now. :Smokin:

i don't think romeo does any of the bluesy stuff... i think a lot of those things are actually russel playing. i know romeo pitched in on a song or two, (i con't remember off hand but i think on gaia he did the guitars) but its not like its just symphony x playing russels songs. there are a lot of other musicians on there as well.

and yeah its a great album. some of the musicianship is a little ackward here and there, but it all rocks regardless of that fact.

Well, if ya wanna get down to who would've been a better choice for guitar I could name a million blues / so. rock guitarists that would fit the bill. I'm just saying for being a progressive metal guitarist...it surprised me that he pulled it off as well as he did; and if Allen is playing guitar on most songs, (i thought it was just The Distance) then jesus christ, I'm just gonna sell my soul now to be that damn good vocally and be able to jam out some blues.

I'm surprised you say that, I enjoyed Allen/Lande much more.

I'll try it out again. I only liked track 6, 'Seasons of insanity,' when I heard it.

I'm surprised you say that, I enjoyed Allen/Lande much more.

Ehh, maybe there's a style they were going for when they did the Revenge album, which is the one I have. I can't get into it; I mean, I think the title track is OK, but the only track that stood out at all for me is Under the Waves. Very catchy, cool song.

I love hearing MJR out of his element on songs like Saucy Jack. It shows he is awesome no matter what style of music he plays.

+1 Couldn't agree more. I think MJR contributed more guitar to Atomic Soul than a lot of people realize...

Its a good album but would have been better with someone like Richie Kotzen playing guitar.

The album would have sucked nads..... :lol:
I haven't heard RK do anything interesting in a LONG time......

Yeah, just listened to it all the way through again. If you haven't heard it yet, get it...stream it...something! It's just too good to pass up.

He's got more grit and soul than...god? lol

well which songs did he play on...? i was under the impression that he only played on like 2 songs.

MJR's credits on Atomic soul:

Blackout - Guitar
Season of Insanity - Guitars, Bass, and Guitar solo.
Gaia - prttey much played everything but drum and vocals.
Loosin' You - Bass
Saucey Jack - Slide guitar, Bass, part of the guitar solo.
We Will Fly - Guitars, Keys, and Bass
Atomic Soul - Guitar solo, Bass.

Blackout - Guitar
Loosin' You - Bass

Thanks Glenn! I rest my case.... :)

Blackout - Guitar
Loosin' You - Bass

hmmm... thats cool, I kinda wondering now what gave me the impression he had only been in like 2 songs hehe...

maybe that was what russ said his intensions were before recording or something.

J-Dub wrote
The album would have sucked nads.....
I haven't heard RK do anything interesting in a LONG time......

I agree...Slow was his last good release...but tonally his playing might have suited/improved the album's overall sound...didn't say he had to write any of the songs ;).