Best guitar performances you've seen live

Seeing him live with them was like watching a fucking movie...it was so unreal especially for the time...there was no one playing like that in '83...not with that confidence and ease. It was mind boggling.:OMG:

Shawn Lane probably was, but I've seen no video of him at this time.

But indeed, Malmsteen played a new genre (amazingly) and it must've been awesome to see and hear.

Sorry I looked right over that "you've seen live" part of the topic.

I saw VanHalen around 91 or 92 for the Carnel knowledge tour, Eddie was old hat, taken for granted by that time but he was awesome as was the entire show, the Knick in Albany, a large arena was packed, and I have never left a concert with a more rowdy, wound up, hootin and hollerin crowd as that. High energy, invigoration but that was what Sammy and Eddie have always been about during their careers

I can see how Yngwie must have blown peoples minds in the early 80's but I missed all that, honestly he still blows my mind just what I've seen on videos

I saw Zappa, Santana, Outlaws w/Lynard Skynard, Jeff Beck, Rush w/Blue Oyster Cult, BB King w/Les Paul way back but remember so little. BB & Les stand out the most because I was unfimiliar and not knowing what to expect, so they really shook up my petty little rock brain. Beck was great but I had made a poor judgement call, and Darma was always a great listen but Rush & BOC had serious volumn related sound problems. Santana was one of the best sounding concerts I have seen, next to Uriah Heep, Robert Cray and SRV. Zappa had my jaw hanging a bit, again not knowing what to expect. Cray was some sweet Strat/fender tones and has the smoothest voice

No one and I mean NO ONE came anywhere near owning the guitar, heart and soul as Stevie Ray Vaughan, that guy just bled flow

Billy Gibbons was great fun too but I grew up on his Texas boogie so it fits like a old pair of bluejeans

Petrucci - I&W tour... forget about it, I simply couldnt believe he played that stuff live like he was sipping a cup of coffee. I went expecting to be let down because in my head I didnt believe anyone could play that technical, fast and clean, live. Now look at the guitar scene, I have learned much and at times it makes me ponder if I have the right to pick up a guitar and pretend to play music.

yeah, Kurts rollin in the dough... bah hahahaha. My dreams of playing professionally were over along time ago. I just like making noise and at times some really sweet sounds.

Robert Cray was great live...I love his voice much more than his playing though.

Yeah, I love his voice too. "Don't be afraid of the dark..."

I finally caught him at a downtown warehouse venue a couple years back. Awesome!

I think his playing suits everything he does though. Just top-notch stuff. Strong Persuader was absolutely brilliant - even during my hair metal days it was one of my favorite albums.

Yeah, I love his voice too. "Don't be afraid of the dark..."

I finally caught him at a downtown warehouse venue a couple years back. Awesome!

I think his playing suits everything he does though. Just top-notch stuff. Strong Persuader was absolutely brilliant - even during my hair metal days it was one of my favorite albums.

Don't Be Afraid In the Dark and Strong Persuader are both must haves.

Yes, his playing complements his vocals.

Michael, did you ever get Guitar Player magazine back in the '80's when they came with those little mini vinyl deals? There was one month with a live recording of "Phone Booth" with Eric Clapton playing on it as well. That recording was so awesome! I need to go find it on my cassettes...

Sounds like you'd fit right in to most of today's mainstream music. :lol:

how dare you !
-------------

I like Crays playing and his tone, its pure Fender, no distortion, just Fender, no dazzeling bullshit, if I recall its the finger picked tone as well, very expressive. Been along time since I listened to my Strong Persuader lp.

Michael, did you ever get Guitar Player magazine back in the '80's when they came with those little mini vinyl deals? There was one month with a live recording of "Phone Booth" with Eric Clapton playing on it as well. That recording was so awesome! I need to go find it on my cassettes...

I remember those...they were great. I didn't have that one, but I did have the Steve Vai recording of Blue Powder done to demo the Carvin X100B.

I'm a big Cray fan...one of my favorite vocalists ever.

I had that sound page too! I remember my first Guitar Player was with Yngwie on the cover... what was that, July of '84? I think I may still have all those sound pages still - I wonder if they're valuable? And I wonder where they are.........

I had that sound page too! I remember my first Guitar Player was with Yngwie on the cover... what was that, July of '84? I think I may still have all those sound pages still - I wonder if they're valuable? And I wonder where they are.........

I'll bet they're worth something. I think my first Guitar Player was 1982 with Steve Morse on the cover.

There are so many, but here are a few that stand out in my mind....

Steve Howe - Yesshows/Going For The One Tour '77 - Absolutely amazing
Frank Zappa on new years eve supporting Zoot Allures
Frank Marino a few times in the late 70s early 80s
Al Dimeola with Return To Forever in the 80's
Yngwie in '88-'89 I think..wow what a show
Schenker w/UFO on reunion tour in 90s
Michael Romeo - PPIV he tore it up that night....
John Petrucci - Liquid Tension Experiment at BARfest this year... Damnnnnn...

I fucking HATE you! :D :saint:

I was second row at UCLA's Pauly Pavillion...

*ducks and runs* :lol:

seriously one of the most amazing shows evah! They played all fuckin' night...

One of first few concerts I ever went to, I was into Zappa then, I was in High School, but my older friend had the tickets and invited me... Lucked out.

I was second row at UCLA's Pauly Pavillion...

*ducks and runs* :lol:

seriously one of the most amazing shows evah! They played all fuckin' night...

One of first few concerts I ever went to, I was into Zappa then, I was in High School, but my older friend had the tickets and invited me... Lucked out.

I can only imagine! I'd have loved to seen that lineup. REALLY wanted to see a Vai era show in the early 80's, and only got to see FZ once in 1988....

Symphony X - The Galaxy Theater on Paradise Lost tour
The Faceless - Chain Reaction February '08
Jeff Loomis - NAMM '08
Ron Thal - NAMM '08
Mattias Eklundh - NAMM '08 hahahha