Beyond the Threshold - a new beginning for the Threshold Fan Club

Richard West

Threshold
Sep 18, 2002
Visit site
As many of the regular contributors here will know, Threshold used to run a fan club called Devoted. However in more recent times its activities have been limited to issuing direct-to-fan CD releases and email bulletins.

As you may have guessed from this post the concept of a Threshold fan club is being revisited. A number of plans and ideas have been thought about already but the whole thing needs your input. The readers of this forum make up the inner core of the Threshold fan base and your support and views are essential to this project.

- Would you like to see a new and improved Threshold fan club?
- What would your expectations be?
- Would you contribute (pics, gig reviews and maybe even articles)?
- Would you be prepared to pay?
- Are you interested in receiving a Threshold related magazine?

Please try and answer the above questions and feel free to throw in other relevant thoughts about this idea. Please keep this topic on thread though!

I'm fairly new here and have only discovered Threshold some month ago. I hope to see the band live for the first time in January. I would certainly like to see (and be a member of) a Threshold fan club (obviously I can't say anything about an "improved fan club"). First of all I would expect to receive information about the band, new releases, gigs. Articles about related bands would also be interesting. It would be nice too, if the fan club organized some events for members. I'd also love to receive a magazine with the above mentioned information, gig reviews, interview with the band and, of course, lots of pictures. I would certainly be prepared to contribute whatever is of any use. I'm not a good writer therefore I wouldn't write reviews or articles but I would love to contribute pictures or whatever else could be of useful.

All depends on the benefits offcourse..

Some additional extra's like direct to fan releases, to get to hear all the news concerning Threshold and its members first. A fanclub day wouldbe nice aswell. We just had one for Ayreon and it was a blast as always... But these things ususally need a lot of members.

Yes i would, i always post my pics of Threshold gigs anyway...

I would be willing to pay, if the benefits are worth it.

Yes i would be, contents like tourdiaries from both fans and band are usualy entertaining to read.

Certainly.

Hmmm, access to things only fan members could get, information updates to my e-mail, discounts. It'd be interesting that if one becomes a member one could go to "meets and greets" with the band when you go to the concerts.

I don't think that Threshold will ever come to CR hehe( :cry: ). However, if I could contribute in some way I would do it without hesitation.

I don't think I would pay to be part of the fan club itself, but I would pay for exclusive merchandise only available to people of the fan club. Really, this is not Therion fan club hehe.

Hmmm... I could pay an initial fee, but nothing like a monthly fee. I think an annual fee would be fine, but one would obviously have to get stuff for it (e.g. discounts, meet and greet, etc.).

In what format? Because starting a paper magazine is pretty much senseless nowadays, it wouldn't survive a year because of the Internet. On the other hand, it'd be interesting to get it in a digital format to my e-mail.

I'm thinking here more of a "bulletin" than a magazine, a magazine needs a lot of pages, and, not to be disrespectful here or anything, I don't think there would actually be enough Threshold material/footage/articles to do an actual magazine. A bulletin seems more appropriate IMO :) .

Anyway, it's great that you're asking this Richard :Spin: . Keep it up lad! :kickass:

Interesting thread. The so called "web 2.0" has proved to be the most useful (and used) way for fans to gather, share info and get eventually get in touch with artists: forums, myspace, facebook and stuff like this. The fact is that bands with a strong myspace street team squad are usually beautiful-boys-making-music-for-teenagers: girls have proved to be, at least from what I've seen, the most active "category" in creating and running street teams and so. This works pretty good with swedish sleazy bands, I'm not sure it would work with progressive as well, so we need to think about something more, huh, prog-oriented. Probably a forum-like (or, better, wiki-like) place where people can add photos, interviews and everything else done by themselves or found on internet - or even written by the band; basically a place where to gather information and resources in a easy-to-find way.
I tried to do something like this with the old Light And Space website, but 1) I had no major job/family/music commitments at the time, 2) it's something only one person can do, while it would be better to have many people contributing. Of course, all the stuff I gathered so far will be shared.

With this said, I agree with Ayreonaut in nearly everything.
I'd pay for a membership - a yearly fee would be ok, with benefit like a fan club t-shirt, exclusive members-only mp3/video downloads (who said "pre-debut songs"? :D), the names of the members in the thank-you's of the fan club albums, and stuff like this. Plus, I'd love to have:
- a free lesson with Johanee teaching tricks with the sticks
- the right to steal one item from Pete's Transformers collection
- the recipe for Mac's popular salad

:D

Of course I'd love the idea of a fan club day (but I do agree it's something you can do once you have a LOT of members), I bet it would be held in Zoetermeer! :D

As a gig photographer I would happily contribute pics for you don't have any Threshold ones yet but next gig I'll get in touch about taking photos

In a word, yes, I wasn't party to the former one so have only known the forum here.

Much as others here have written, exclusive fan club only items, T-shirts, CDs, DVDs?, fan-club day(s) that type of thing.

I wouldn't want to step on the toes of older fans who might have more knowledge etc, but yes I would.

An annual fee in return for fan-club goodies would be fine, as long as it is within reason.

Yes, that'd be cool, although I think Defiance's idea of a 'bulletin' is quite good too.

Thanks for asking.

1. Would you like to see a new and improved Threshold fan club?
2. What would your expectations be?
3. Would you contribute (pics, gig reviews and maybe even articles)?
4. Would you be prepared to pay?
5. Are you interested in receiving a Threshold related magazine?

1. I don't know what was offered in the old fan club. So would be good if you could tell us what was offered under the old and what the few fan club will offer.

2. No idea at the moment

3. Could do.

4. It depends on how much will be charged and what will be offered

5. I am all for a Threshold related magazine. However, I would prefer an e-mag in PDF format as opposed to a printed magazine for various reasons. Firstly an e-mag would allow the fan club to keep the cost down. Secondly it never degrades in quality compared to printed one. Those who want to print it can do so if they wish and finally it is more environmentally friendly...remember Wounded Land!

Would you like to see a new and improved Threshold fan club?
-- Sure!

What would your expectations be?
-- Expectations? - I much prefer surprises really....

Would you contribute (pics, gig reviews and maybe even articles)?
-- I'd love to... just that I'm rather crap at taking live pics / writing reviews and the like....... :cry:

Would you be prepared to pay?
-- Sure! Daily, weekly, monthly, annually, fixed rate, for specific things and treats or just as overall support because I love the music -- whatever.

Are you interested in receiving a Threshold related magazine?
-- - Sure again!
It's already been mentioned: The term 'magazine' tends to trigger the association of something physical, a printed thingey, which in the times of the Internet does not seem to make much sense - economically as well as ecologically. But I doubt that's what you had in mind anyway?

Other thoughts......
I'd quite like the idea of a huge archive somewhere on the web where we get access to a photo library, old and new ones, interviews, album reviews, guitar tabs, tour diaries etc. etc.
Just a place where we can find anything we're looking for without having to painfully search the endless web (often in vain).

Needless to say that a section with previously unreleased material just for members would probably be the biggest impetus for people to sign up... (and pay). This could be alternative versions of songs (I whisper REMIXES), teasers for new material, re-recorded tracks, live- or video footage and the like - I'm sure you have a lot of stuff stashed away somewhere that's of great interest to many of us and otherwise you're all overflowing with creativity as it is to just stomp something out the ground if need be.

On the overall, the thought of belonging to some kind of community, the Threshold family, would be the most appealing for me personally, not to mention supporting the one band I believe in and love most of all out there.

Meet & greets always go down very well with everyone, too, let alone fan-events like Marillion or Ayreon do just for their members.

Well, if all goes well, I'll make the long journey to Zoetermeer in January, so that could indeed be a start, eh! ;)

Meet & greets always go down very well with everyone, too, let alone fan-events like Marillion or Ayreon do just for their members.

Well, if all goes well, I'll make the long journey to Zoetermeer in January, so that could indeed be a start, eh! ;)

Don't know about the Marillio one but te Ayreon one gets organised just by the fans. They wanted to book Threshold as evening entertainment but that was impossible unfortunately...:cry:

1. Not sure. I was never a member of the old one :oops:
2. To get some cool stuff, I guess.
3. Sure, if Threshold ever bothers to do a US tour....
4. If the variety of stuff was interesting enough, sure.
5. Sure. Though like forgottenglory said, a PDF would be ideal. That's what the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub does :)

1.Would you like to see a new and improved Threshold fan club?
I'm hughe fan of big and inovative things, even if my fascination is just about beeing new ... if I explained well my thoughts. In any case, I would love some place to "meet" and talk with Threshold fans and band.

2. What would your expectations be?
Did you men fan club as website or something other? I'm very interested in making web site for that occassion (being professional web developer, you could check official Andromeda website, I did it) ... New fan club should gather more fans ... don't know

3. Would you contribute (pics, gig reviews and maybe even articles)?
as I said above, I'm very interested in any colaboration

4. Would you be prepared to pay?
To be honest ... I'm living in shity country where monthly salary is about 200-250 e (yes, you read well). I'm so sorry and shamed not to have all Threshold, Pain Of salvation, Ayreon, etc albums as original CD's ... well, I would probably manage to save some money for annual fee if I could get some goodies in that way.

5. Are you interested in receiving a Threshold related magazine?
Sure I am! That would be great!

I hope that this could help in any way :)

Yeah, I'd sure be interested in that, although for me this forum already feels like sort of a fanclub.
It's already been said, but fanclub cd's would be very nice and special t-shirts for fc-members.
Sure!
Well, alright then ;-) Don't forget I'm Dutch :lol:
If it's a webzine, yes. My experience is that a paper magazine mainly contains news that is not exactly "new".

Sorry for my late reply!
Astrid xx