Bodom rip-offs? Myth or reality?

EternalMetal said:
I think the musical content counte more than the lyrics. they arent too pathetic, and its the music that counts anyway.

No shit? Really? I thought lyrics were all that mattered in Heavy Metal, thank you so much for clarifying this for me.

Rip-off is the wrong word(except in the case of Norther). Same genre is probably the more correct term. When I listen to Bodom, Kalmah and Skyfire i can definately hear the different styles and approaches of each band. And while these differences might seem minimal upon first listen they develop to big enough differences with continued listening that clearly seperate them from one another.

closest thing to cob would be imperanon. other than that I havent heard anything that would be a ripoff, cept norther who are just bad.
Kalmah, have a totally different sound from cob.
Skyfire are totally different from cob.

Melodeath is more power/NWOBHM/thrash+own sound with deathy vocals than death with power elements.
COB is definately power, Kalmah is a mix of these two etc..

Ok, i think this:
Kalmah>COB>Norther>Skyfire and havent heard Imperanon.

And about bands being a "rip-off" of COB..Im actually glad of it. I like the style. Actually i love the style.

You know, Blood Stain Child is really fucking awesome. Does anyone agree?

I don't listen to these other guys, I've only heard COB's stuff and I'll say this. The band may have ripped of COB but who the fuck has COB ripped off? How bout Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen which is what I'd use up to sum up COB cept with death vocals. That's not a bad thing, I just think it's hard to steak a claim so strongly in your style when it's not entirely yours. I will say this, COB does things well, great songs, great solos so Yeah, it's not the most creative thing stylistically, but its still creative. And another thing. All this talk about Melodic death metal. Now I know what you guys mean when you say that COB isn't really that much of melodic death metal, but they are. They play melodic metal w/ death vocals, which is pretty much what melo death is. Now It may not be on the end of the spectrum with Heartwork or the part with Jester Race, it still is melodic death metal. Death Metal is death metal mostly because of the vocal style, I mean look at most early death metal, It's thrash with Death vocals.

I disagree. I also think youre wrong. Vocals dont define genres.

Death Metal is death metal mostly because of the vocal style, I mean look at most early death metal, It's thrash with Death vocals.
No, its not the vocals. A certain vocaling style is common for almost all death metal, but the thing that differs death from thrash is the slightly different riffing style, so have i understood it.
I may be a little wrong here and there, but i believe that death metal riff is straightforward compared to thrash, or/and way more chaotic. Yes, pure thrash riffs are common to be found in death metal. You know why they say Reign In Blood was almost death metal? Listen to the riffs. Its the thing that is different with Reign In Blood and, for example, the old Metallica albums. Reign In Blood is still more thrashy, i think, but look at Possessed.
Compare Seven Churches to Reign In Blood. Reign In Blood is the more thrash and Seven Churches is the more death.
Listen to early Sepultura. Thats death-thrash. You should hear the reason for this.
Listen to Dew Scented. You should hear a lot of chaotic death riffs there as well, and a lot of thrash-riffs. Its thrash/death.

So, i think youre wrong. Old death is not thrash with growling or screaming. Sure the old stuff is more like death with thrash elements, but anyway...

death metal is from the vocal style. Look man, yes death metal as a genre has different riff style to some extent because it has evolved over time, but if you look at early death metal, the riffs are basically thrash. Where do you think the term death metal came from? Didn't early thrash talk about death just as much as early death metal lyricly? Yes, and stylistically, i'm talking about the riffage, do death metal riffs suggest death or differ from thrash at the time? no, but then why do we call death metal death metal. Well thats because of the band Death, Death played thrash and chuck growwled for the vocals, not a snarl or a yell, like araya but a fucking growl, and that is why death metal is death metal. Over time a kind of riffing came about to be associated with death metal, or what you and I would call brutal death, but at the core of this is thrash, thrash with death metal style vocals.

Bodom sucks. Every five seconds they bust out into another solo of extreme wankery, not to mention that fucking retarded flip Alexi does with his hair when he's playing. They ruined some of what could've been a kickass concert with Evergrey and Iced Earth. :yuk:

TaylorC said:
Every five seconds they bust out into another solo of extreme wankery, not to mention that fucking retarded flip Alexi does with his hair when he's playing.
HAY! Those wankish solos rawk my world. And everyone knows Alexi looks beautiful when he flips his hair like that :Spin:

*done being a fag* :cool:

TaylorC said:
Bodom sucks. Every five seconds they bust out into another solo of extreme wankery, not to mention that fucking retarded flip Alexi does with his hair when he's playing. They ruined some of what could've been a kickass concert with Evergrey and Iced Earth. :yuk:

evergrey was fucking terrible. and iced earth was good for one thing and that was tims hi screams.

I thought Evergrey put on an aweful show, and by the time Iced Earth came on the venue was full of 45 year old men in tall ass boots, preventing me from seeing ANYTHING.

Funeral Portrait said:
...and by the time Iced Earth came on the venue was full of 45 year old men in tall ass boots, preventing me from seeing ANYTHING.

:guh:

There was one older guy at the concert I went to, and he was only there to see Owens wail. That dude can hold a high note for a helluva long time!

death metal is from the vocal style. Look man, yes death metal as a genre has different riff style to some extent because it has evolved over time, but if you look at early death metal, the riffs are basically thrash. Where do you think the term death metal came from? Didn't early thrash talk about death just as much as early death metal lyricly? Yes, and stylistically, i'm talking about the riffage, do death metal riffs suggest death or differ from thrash at the time? no, but then why do we call death metal death metal. Well thats because of the band Death, Death played thrash and chuck growwled for the vocals, not a snarl or a yell, like araya but a fucking growl, and that is why death metal is death metal. Over time a kind of riffing came about to be associated with death metal, or what you and I would call brutal death, but at the core of this is thrash, thrash with death metal style vocals.[/quote

The term death metal, i think, came from either Possessed that had a song called "Death Metal" , or then from the name of the band "Death". Anyway, i think the Possessed one was correct.
the riffs are basically thrash.

The riffs are basically what i would call "chaos-thrash" or "straightforwarded-thrash", what is pretty much what i allready said. I would say Scream Bloody Gore is thrash/death, since its not so death-metalish as more "pure" death metal.

So, imagine old death metal as a different style of thrash, but not really thrash.
And, deathy vocals dont make it death metal. That is why Six Feet Under mostly aint death metal.