Chicago 11/06/00

T

tsw512

[I originally posted this review in my e-zine, Detritus, last week. Check us out at detritusweb.com . Thanks. - Tim Wadzinski]

-Saxon/U.D.O./Winter Kill
House Of Blues, Chicago, IL
November 6, 2000

Good God, these Monday night shows are killing me... But you just can't pass up a bill like this, now can you? Saxon finally made it to the US in support of last year's METALHEAD, and U.D.O. (featuring former Accept singer Udo Dirkschneider and drummer Stefan Kaufmann, now on guitar) joined up to continue supporing their latest, HOLY. I didn't catch whether Chicago's Winter Kill were supporting a new release or not, and I didn't even know they were opening until we arrived at the venue.

Winter Kill (42 mins.)
??? / Tokyo Is Burning / A Feast For A Beggar / ??? / Hall Of The Mountain King

I've seen these guys a few times over the years, most recently in March '98 when they opened for Saxon at the House Of Blues (deja vu!). This set was a little different because, I think, they've added a keyboardist and the sound was just a tad more goth/metal than what I remember. If you know the Florida band Seasons Of The Wolf, think of them mixed with Queensryche. I only caught a couple song titles, and I don't know how many songs they played, but they finished with a rocking cover of Savatage's "Hall Of The Mountain King" that was received well.

During their set I went back to check out Saxon and U.D.O. t-shirts, and much to my surprise I recognized Udo's brother Peter, singer for the German band Vanize, as the merchandise guy! He seemed taken aback that I knew who he was, but we chatted (okay, well, yelled in each other's ears) for a few minutes. Very nice guy, and he filled me in on some potential Vanize tour plans that are listed elsewhere in this issue. I asked him to sign my ticket stub and you can bet the people around me were wondering what the hell I was doing asking the shirt guy for an autograph... :)

Also during Winter Kill's set (sorry guys!...I did pay *some* attention) I spotted U.D.O. guitarist Igor Gianola and drummer Lorenzo Milani in the crowd, and they signed my ticket stub, too. And then later I got photos and more ticket stub autographs from the rest of U.D.O.'s band--all of 'em were nice guys.

U.D.O. (55 mins.)
Holy / Raiders Of Beyond / Midnight Mover / Independence Day / Metal Eater / drum solo / London Leatherboys / Metal Heart / Living On A Frontline / guitar solo / Restless And Wild / Son Of A Bitch / Balls To The Wall

The set here was pretty similar to what I saw them do back in June, except they left out five songs (four Accept, one U.D.O.) and inserted a Gianola guitar solo. I'd heard from Peter Dirkschneider that the band arrived at the venue late and didn't have time for a soundcheck, but it wasn't terribly noticeable. The energy was there and the guys tore through the set like the seasoned veterans they are. And bassist Fitty Weinhold still is probably the most energetic hair-tosser I've ever seen. :)

As before, Kaufmann pretty much did the solos in the Accept songs and Gianola did the U.D.O. songs, but they combined for some excellent, speedy harmony guitar in "Metal Eater." Another guitar highlight was Kaufmann's pick slide during "Independence Day," where he used Udo's head on the fretboard. :)

The big "ohhhh ohhh" crowd sing-alongs went as expected, during "Metal Heart" and "Balls To The Wall," and for the first time ever I actually saw a woman dancing seductively to "Balls..." Very strange. Overall the show was good, but since the U.D.O. diehards came out for the band back at their small club gig in June, I think perhaps the guys should have done a few more Accept songs this night. Maybe drop the solos, too...

Saxon (105 mins.)
Metalhead / Motorcycle Man / Dogs Of War / Strong Arm Of The Law / Song Of Evil / Power And The Glory / The Eagle Has Landed / Are We Travellers In Time / 20,000 Feet / The Thin Red Line / Denim And Leather / Conquistador / Crusader / Princess Of The Night // Heavy Metal Thunder / Dallas 1 PM / Wheels Of Steel

The only other time I'd seen Saxon was that gig in '98, so this time they didn't surprise me as much with how great a live act they are. :) However, and I should've expected this, they did surprise me by playing a few tunes off their new album METALHEAD that were much cooler live than on record. (I know Craig raved about the album in his review here a while back, but I thought it paled in comparison to its predessor, UNLEASH THE BEAST; now I guess I gotta go back and listen to it some more.)

Last time out longtime drummer Nigel Glockler was injured and the guys had a temp, but now Fritz Randow (Victory/Sinner) is in the band and he kicked ass; but I have to say, as with the U.D.O. guys, his solo in "Conquistador" probably wasn't completely necessary.

Saxon are just so good live you end up thinking they're going through the motions, but that's not the case. Biff Byford, still an ageless wonder, worked the crowd perfectly with between-song chatter that, for the most part, wasn't of the cookie-cutter, "I say this in every city we play" variety. And since this was the night before Election Day here in the US, a fan tossed him a homemade "Byford For President 2000" t-shirt which he proudly donned during "The Thin Red Line."

I'd seen a few set lists posted on the 'net prior to this show, but the band mixed it up a bit by including "Strong Arm Of The Law" and "Heavy Metal Thunder" in place of "Broken Heroes," "And The Bands Played On," "This Town Rocks," and surprisingly, "747/Strangers In The Night." The new tunes "Metalhead," "Song Of Evil," "Conquistador," and "Are We Travellers In Time"--which, unbeknownst to me, had bassist Nibbs Carter dueting with Byford the whole time--all sounded better and cooler than on METALHEAD. But I must say I was disappointed the only other songs played from their 1990s albums were the title track from DOGS OF WAR and UNLEASH THE BEAST's "The Thin Red Line;" FOREVER FREE and SOLID BALL OF ROCK were ignored completely (again). I'd heard the band might also play their covers of Christopher Cross' "Ride Like The Wind" and/or Judas Priest's "You've Got Another Thing Comin'," but no dice.

Those complaints aside, the classics Saxon did play were all good. Guitarists Paul Quinn and Doug Scarratt were dependable as always, and "Power And The Glory," "Motorcycle Man," and "20,000 Feet" all smoked. And the big "wayyy ohhhh" sing-along during "Wheels Of Steel" was good drunken fun, too. I'll say it yet again: live, this band kills, so much more than on their records. If you've ever listened to their 1980s albums and thought, "Eh, they're okay," then I ***strongly*** urge you to see the band live and have your head blown off. They're supposed to tour the States again in '01 so you'll get your chance.

Oh, and what was that I said before about U.D.O. bassist Fitty? Mr. Carter gave him a run for his money; I think the race for "Bassist With The Most Hair-Tossing" was as hotly contested as our presidential election. :)

Relevant links:

Saxon
www.saxon747.com/
www.egroups.com/group/Wheels-Of-Steel (discussion list)

U.D.O.
fan@udo-online.de
www.udo-online.de