Collective questions for Mr. Sneap -thread

You mentioned reamping the bass DI. Do you still use the real amp mainly for grit, or the broadband bass tone? Cheers.

Can be both depending on what I need.
Sometimes I can get a really good low out of the DI, sometimes out the mic. Bass can sound so different depending on the player and bass used so its a bit of trial and error.

What's your favorite Mic-Pre these days? Still the Spider?

Is your Mesa Oversize Cab still a Slant? :)lol: Marcus)
thanks

yes I still love the Spider, I'd buy another if there wasn't such a long waiting list. I have several API 3124's which get used alot too.
Thing is about the oversize cab, correct me if I'm wrong but dont the bottom cabs slant up on the top 2 speakers too? I have 2 normal size boogies also which I like alot.

Thank you Andy for your answers, I compiled them to the first post. I would still like to ask from the acoustic guitar micing... Can you be a little more specific on the micing? Do you use a large or small diaphram mic and how far do you have it and where do you aim it?

And then another questions: How much do you use delay and reverb, what kind and where do you apply it on (drums, snare, vocals...)? Do you rather mic up a room or do you use digital reverb instead?

+1

Again it depends, I just used a sony C800G on the Megadeth record and it sounded great, aimed between the sound hole and where the neck meets the body. I've had good results with small diaphram mics also, especially if the guitar seems a little too boomy.

I find having a tiny bit of room in there helps glue the kit together, but I tend to always use a verb just to give the kit more power. Guess thats my love of 80's metal coming out. Delay I'll tend to use a touch on chorus vocals, esp if melodic and solos. I usually roll the top end back and send to the verb too.

Hey andy, what do you think about the loudness war?

Sometimes I´m realy gettin headaches of listening to newer productions ( like "the ghost inside" , "throwdown" , "all shall perish"...)
this records are all mixed great, but the mastering sometimes destroy all the energy in my opinion.

When you are mastering projects, do you try to get the "industry standard loudness wise" or you just try to let the mastering fit the different styles of the music.

for example:

all shall perish doesnt need dynamcs so lets make this real hot
and 36 crazyfists is a dynamic band, so try to archive this through the mastering process?

I´m realy looking forward to a Pro-opinion.

cheers

I think there's a happy compromise. I usually aim for an average of -10 rms and see compare the sound before and after and see if I'm damaging the mix. If so, you know what, I back it down, I know, crazy concept!

In reply to Aaron, Im usually going for the waves ssl comp, crane song tape simulator and the finalizer in my master buss inserts.

I updated the first post.

edit: Also an additional question: What brand DI-boxes and reamp-boxes do you use? And do you prefer single, dual or quadtracking on rhythm guitars?

I love my little labs PIP di, I use a Cunniberti Reamp box and for some stuff I use 2 gtrs other stuff 4, depends on the style and sound of the band. For instance Exodus is 2, Killswitch is 4.

This one's had me scratching my head for a while.

What was the main contributing factor to the distinct (but fuckin awesome) pick attack sound on Shadows are Security (the "wunk" instead of "chunk" type thing that i love so much haha)? Was it the playing, maxon, krank, magic?

Also, How do mix drums? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Oh yeah, one that I've always been wondering: Do you have an assistant engineer (or an assistant in general)?

And some additional drum related question:
- And who usually tunes the drums? The assistant or a drum technician, or do you personally tune the drums, or do you let the drummers do that themselves?
- And how do you prefer to tune the drums? batter head lower or higher than the resonant head on kick/snare/tom?
- What mics do you usually mic the toms with?
- What drumheads do you prefer? I remember that you mentioned them in some Trivium related thread (in which I think you said that what Suecof insisted, sucked), but I couldn't find the thread...
- Do you use inserts or any extra processing (like eq or compressors...) in anything when you track stuff?

My quick question if Andy has time, is mainly about the snare. I can never get a pop as per on an album like Godless Endeavour, and even more importantly for me, the reverb matter. I read a recent post about it being a medium room reverb rather than a plate, so just wondering what sort of settings & plugins/hardwares to get in the ball park really.

Andy, please how are your experiences with (hardware) Sansamp PSA-1 and recording heavy guitars thru it? Do you like it? Do you think that you can get great tone direct with this unit? Thank you very much...

My quick question if Andy has time, is mainly about the snare.

+1. I struggle on snare quite a bit, and whenever I EQ it into an area I want, it ends up hurting the overheads because of cymbal bleed and I end up using heavy sampling. My favorite heavy metal snares (at the moment) are on KSE's the End of Heartache, Opeth's Watershed, and Testament's Formation of Damnation. I can get in the general area, but not without making large compromises

My quick question if Andy has time, is mainly about the snare. I can never get a pop as per on an album like Godless Endeavour, and even more importantly for me, the reverb matter. I read a recent post about it being a medium room reverb rather than a plate, so just wondering what sort of settings & plugins/hardwares to get in the ball park really.

MH CS compression (on "smooth" I'd think).
verb: d-verb 1.5 secs

KSE's the End of Heartache,

try blendin in a Alesis D4 fat city

This one's had me scratching my head for a while.

What was the main contributing factor to the distinct (but fuckin awesome) pick attack sound on Shadows are Security (the "wunk" instead of "chunk" type thing that i love so much haha)? Was it the playing, maxon, krank, magic?

Also, How do mix drums? ¯(°_o)/¯

I made a comment about that in the past on here.

I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT - Here it is! But, Andy didn't answer, some other dudes did about the amp/OD pedal combination.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/sneap-produced-albums/262369-i-lay-dying-2.html#post5777882

here's a question though....

-on your 2bus comp (formerly C2 now Waves SSL I think?) are you going for very low ratio and a bit more reduction or medium-high ratio and less reduction?
or completely different?--....

-ever tried to run your EMG at 18V?

-how often do you NOT use a TS in front of the amp? (if so got an example of one of your recordings?)

-do you sometimes blend amps for the same DI? as in "re-reamping through another amp and blending in" I mean.

-do you process top- and bottom-snare tracks individually (like compressing and gating the bottom snare before sending to a bus) or do you just bus them to the same group and treat them at the same time?