Dynaudio vs M-Audio: The Final Countdown

iekobrid

Authorized XSr™ Dealer
Feb 2, 2006
Doogie Howser, MD
I may -- MAY -- be able to get a pair of Dynaudio BM5A monitors this week for $767 + tax, new, out the door. No refurbs, no resealed boxes, no factory b-stock, no waiting for shipping or rebates. They usually go for $1,000 + tax 'round here.

Last year I went around to a few stores in Maryland, New Jersey and New York using a compilation CD of professional mixes to compare active monitors in the sub-$1,200-or-so-per-pair price range, and out of the usual Adam, Event, Genelec, JBL, KRK, Mackie, M-Audio, Samson and Yamaha suspects, the Dyna BM5s were the only ones that didn't sound like they were boosting the hell out of the bass and/or highs, or making the mids smeary or harsh. (I've heard all the arguments, no need to try to sell me on any products I've already ruled out; maybe the BM5s are just magically in tune with my ears, and since these are the only ears I have to work with...)

So now that a deal on the Dynas has finally presented itself at the same time as I finally have a suitable amount of cash to spare (on something other than gas, car insurance, medical bills, etc.), I'm eager to pull the trigger.

BUT now I see that M-Audio has put a new CX series of speakers on the market that didn't exist (?) when I made my last comparisons, and although I really don't like the sound of their BX8As, the idea of the CX8s has reduced my confidence in buying the Dynas a.s.a.p. from 99% to maybe 80%. (The CX8s would be about $710/pair, but I may have to order them.)

So my questions to youse guys are:

Has anyone had a chance to try out the M-Audio CX8 monitors?

Are there any other 'new' active monitors in that price range that have only hit the market since summer 2008, that I should consider before I act on my year-old decision?

The clock is ticking on the [potential] Dynaudio deal, hence the thread title. :erk:

There's nothing new in that price range which has really made a splash over the last year. The BM5As are still decent nearfields that hold their own. During my own monitor tests I would call them anything but flat, but if they are in tune with your hearing then that's all that matters. I hope you enjoy your purchase!

Yeah, I wouldn't presume to call any monitors in that price range "flat", the Dynas are just the only ones that seemed to maintain the generally balanced nature of (i.e. didn't fuck up) the professional mixes on my sample CD. I brought a couple friends along for the compro I did last year -- one a more prolific hobbyist producer than I am, the other a more voracious listener than I am -- and while we often disagreed on which monitors sounded harsh or boxy or muffled, we agreed that Adam A7s make things sound "too shiny", Event ASP6s make everything sound like it was mixed by the lead vocalist, M-Audio BXAs are instant booming dance club remix in a box, but Dynaudio BM5As just sound "normal". The other monitors all sounded like someone had sent their 3 year old kid back in time to sneak into the studio and randomly fuck with fader and knob positions during the mix or mastering sessions of all our favourite albums. :lol:

I completely understand what you're saying. Few monitors in that range represent the music as you would imagine would be 'correctly'. The O300s were the only nearfields I ever heard and instantly thought 'wow, I'm hearing the mix as it is printed, not as it's being interpreted'. The Opals are very close, with strengths in their own regions, but weaknesses in others.