effing 003 rack+ (need help for my first label release)

brianhood

No Care Ever
Everything about the 003r+ has been awesome so far. I purchased it before i knew anything about the hardware side of things( i just knew i needed 8 pre's to record drums, and i wanted pro tools). I'm still learning, which is why i need some help...

I just booked my first label release(for Victory Records:headbang:) and i need to get a new 2 channel mic pre for vox and overheads. Unfortunately from what i've read, you can't bypass any of 8 pre's on the 003r+. I still have the option of adat/lightpipe, or spdif, but i have no clue if either of those options would be as good as being able to bypass channel 4-8 and using whatever pre i want(like you can do on the regular 003r).

what would you guys do, and are there any high end pre's you recommend for adat/lightpipe? What are the pro's and cons of each of my options?

I thought about just buying a regular 003r and selling off my 003r+ or maybe just buying a cheap 002r off ebay

I'm gonna jump the gun and really recommend this:

http://www.mercenary.com/apia2ddu312m.html

2ch API + awesome conversion, via SPDIF. that gives you 10 pres total and two killer pres for OH/gtrs/bass/vox

+1 The best option for what you want and for the cash

you also can buy a Audient 8 channel adat 1he
GREAT UNIT!!!!!!!

But you need a clock cabel too. The 003 has a clock so the cabel is enough to synch them together.

I would personally go with a Rme adi-8 (kinda expensive) then just add whatever preamps you want and have great a/d conversion. Ive also been looking at Rme adi-2 and getting like a Vintech Dual 72 or Api lunchbox and just have 2 channels of great a/d conversion. Really the Rme-adi-8 and preamps might be out of your price range but I got a couple Label projects (Earache and I Surrender) coming up as well and Ive been looking at these options for my 002. Though that Api a2d looks nice!

Keep me posted on what you get Brian and how it works out for yea....

I'm gonna jump the gun and really recommend this:

http://www.mercenary.com/apia2ddu312m.html

2ch API + awesome conversion, via SPDIF. that gives you 10 pres total and two killer pres for OH/gtrs/bass/vox

That looks like pretty much what i'm looking for.
Would connecting it via SPDIF lose any quality? That just seems like a "cheap" way to connect such expensive pres.

I would personally go with a Rme adi-8 (kinda expensive) then just add whatever preamps you want and have great a/d conversion. Ive also been looking at Rme adi-2 and getting like a Vintech Dual 72 or Api lunchbox and just have 2 channels of great a/d conversion. Really the Rme-adi-8 and preamps might be out of your price range but I got a couple Label projects (Earache and I Surrender) coming up as well and Ive been looking at these options for my 002. Though that Api a2d looks nice!

Keep me posted on what you get Brian and how it works out for yea....

I'm still open to trying whatever. I'm just the type of person that likes to read up on as much as possible before spending money. Im still learning the basics of using stuff like external a/d and mic pre's with the 003r+ and using word clock and all this stuff...

I'll read into both options and see what would work best for me. I dont mind spending more money if needed.

SPDIF is a digital connection, so you're using the API's converters. It's the same as a toslink optical connection, quality wise - just a different way of hooking things up!

But I totally feel you on that one... the rca-type connectors and cables instill a feeling of cheapness, regardless of how nice the gear is.

Would connecting it via SPDIF lose any quality? That just seems like a "cheap" way to connect such expensive pres.

It's just a medium for transmitting digital data, which can't be affected by "quality" of cable, either all the bits get there or they don't! ;) (meaning, if you pay more for an HDMI cable than the countless $3 ebay models, you have been summarily ripped off :D)

SPDIF is a digital connection, so you're using the API's converters. It's the same as a toslink optical connection, quality wise - just a different way of hooking things up!

But I totally feel you on that one... the rca-type connectors and cables instill a feeling of cheapness, regardless of how nice the gear is.

It's just a medium for transmitting digital data, which can't be affected by "quality" of cable, either all the bits get there or they don't! ;) (meaning, if you pay more for an HDMI cable than the countless $3 ebay models, you have been summarily ripped off :D)

haha well put. Thanks for the help guys. I think the API A2D is what i'm going to go with.

any objections or reasons why i shouldnt?
I'll spend tonight reading into it (as well as seeing what other pres i could get with SPDIF) and order it if i dont see any reason not to.

All digital connections are sending 1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0.............so if the cabel is OK you are fine:)

You could also buy a realy good A/D converter (like benchmark, apogee) and buy some nice analog mic-pres (SSL, api, neve....)

All digital connections are sending 1-0-1-0-1-0-1-0.............so if the cabel is OK you are fine:)

You could also buy a realy good A/D converter (like benchmark, apogee) and buy some nice analog mic-pres (SSL, api, neve....)

so basically buying any other type of pre and running it into a seperate a/d converter, then into my 003r+ via SPDIF be basically the same thing as getting the APIA2D, except that i have more control over what a/d and pre's i want to buy?

for example getting a Apogee Rosetta 200 and a Universal Audio 2-610

You could do that, yes... but it's going to be way more expensive and, IMO, not worth it for just 2 channels.

Down the road, If you want to go that route, I'd snag a Cranesong Spider (8chs of insane pres + conversion via lightpipe), or an RME ADI-8 converter and analog pres.