Funk

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Funk always sounds cool when I happen upon a funk band at a gig somewhere, but I don't really listen to any (unless you count Infectious Grooves). Is anyone a fan? If so, please recommend some bands. I love a bit of slap bass.

Parliament and Funkadelic are definitely classics, the first is funkier and relies more on its horn section while the latter is very Sly inspired rock. Eddie Hazel, the guitar player, is amazing and has a pretty good solo album called "Game, Dames & Guitar Thangs".
From Parliament I would recommend "The Mothership Connection", whilst for Funkadelic I think "Maggot Brain" is a good place to start.

As much as it may pain a lot of people, Prince has done some of the best funk around. My favorite Prince album is "Sign o' the Times", but if you find that to be too pop-oriented for you, you will surely find what you're looking for on other albums such as his Black Album, "The Gold Experience", "O(+> (Love Symbol)", or if you find the time for a little sense of humor, "Dirty Mind".

Also, don't forget to check out all the classic funk-oriented jazzmen. I suppose you know Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", but he has other good albums. There's also Victor Wooten (talk about slap bass!), maybe Weather Report, and Miles, definitely Miles.

It really depends on what kind of funk you are looking for. If you're looking for more recent stuff, Roy Hargrove's band The RH Factor ("Hard Groove") is quite interesting. If it's classic more r&b/soul stuff your looking for, the list would be huge and would include the likes of Curtis Mayfield, Baby Huey, Sly Stone, Ike & Tina Turner, Wah-Wah Watson. If you're not prejudiced against hip hop, there are some great funky bands like De La Soul, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five (only the first album, please!), etc.

Anyway, I hope you will find what you're looking for and, if you have any questions, I would be glad to help as I have been a big funk fan for a while!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Voice of Rock Glenn Hughes is very inspired by funk. His album First Underground Nuclear Kitchen was an attempt to do a funk album - nowhere near his best, but has some good songs on it.

The Voice of Rock Glenn Hughes is very inspired by funk. His album First Underground Nuclear Kitchen was an attempt to do a funk album - nowhere near his best, but has some good songs on it.

This is true to the point that I've always thought Hughes' solo stuff sounds a hell lot like Tina Turner's later, rockier style (see, for instance, the track Steel Claw on "Private Dancer"). Am I being blasphemous?

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't got any spare money at the moment, so YouTube's my friend. I'll have a listen to some stuff and come back with any questions I have.

I forgot about the Paris-based band General Elektriks. I don't know if you've heard of them, but these guys have one of the best grooves in the world at the moment. They've only released two albums and still really only play small venues but if you have the chance to check them out live I would highly recommend it as they sound even better in person than on the album. I'm convinced that they will become quite big in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator: