GMD Poll: Bathory's Discography Ranked

Yeah what a shame that Requiem is the only Bathory album without immaculate production and mixing

Doesn't have to be immaculate or even professional, but at least you can hear the riffs on his Venom rip-off stuff. A thrash album with utterly drowned-out riffs sucks.

Listen harder, the riffs are perfectly audible, certainly more so than many of his other albums

Generic in comparison to Quorthon. His vocals completely add to the overall originality of the music. Which bit is a strawman?

Sorry, I was pretty wasted when I made that post. The strawman you made was assuming the singer would be generic. Another alternative would be to have the album with growling instead of singing. Quorthon has an awesome growl, and Graveland has pulled off the growling with this type of music quite well. It would sap some of the melody, but most of them are carried in the music anyway.

What I meant to say was that I appreciate Quorthon's heart and passion in his delivery, but he is just so bad at singing (I will say, as I familiarize myself with Blood on Ice, his singing is way more tolerable).

You said the same about Voivod lol.

The only commonality is that I think Voivod in general and Hammerheart in particular are hurt by the vocal performance, but the similarities end there. I doubt I'll ever listen to a Voivod album again, while I consider Hammerheart a 4.5 star album with one flaw that I wish didn't exist, but that I can ultimately get past.

Sorry, I was pretty wasted when I made that post. The strawman you made was assuming the singer would be generic. Another alternative would be to have the album with growling instead of singing. Quorthon has an awesome growl, and Graveland has pulled off the growling with this type of music quite well. It would sap some of the melody, but most of them are carried in the music anyway.

Well all I meant was that I don't think replacing Quorthon's vocals with [insert trained singer here] would be a good move, especially in the long run. Growled vocals might have been an interesting alternative, but I actually favour quite highly his clean vocals, hits me right in the feels.

What I meant to say was that I appreciate Quorthon's heart and passion in his delivery, but he is just so bad at singing (I will say, as I familiarize myself with Blood on Ice, his singing is way more tolerable).

Oh okay. Well, I dunno, his vocals didn't have to grow on me over time, I immediately liked it. Hard to explain the appeal or draw because of that, but I think it reminds me of growing up around people who played guitar and sang a lot, I wouldn't trade that amateurish folksy passion project vibe for all the King Diamonds and Harry Conklins in the world, and I feel the same way about the songs Fenriz sings on.

I doubt I'll ever listen to a Voivod album again

That must suck.

Yeah what a shame that Requiem is the only Bathory album without immaculate production and mixing

i think one dimensional is a better way to describe it...the early Bathory albums have a really full sound, lots of reverb, quite a bit of detail, overall atmosphere etc but if you listen to requiem it just sounds flat and boring

Eh, Quorthon's clean vocals can be a bit grating. Love Hammerheart nonetheless. My favorite is, without a doubt, Under the Sign of the Black Mark.

1) Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987)
2) Hammerheart (1990)
3) Bathory (1984)
4) The Return... (1985)
5) Blood Fire Death (1988)
6) Twilight of the Gods (1991)
7) Blood on Ice (1996)
8) Nordland I / Nordland II (Tied)
9) Destroyer of Worlds (2001)
10) Requiem
11) Octagon (1995)

There is such a steep decline after the Nordland releases.

1. Blood Fire Death
2. Hammerheart
3. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
4. The Return
5. Twilight of the Gods
6. Bathory
7. Blood on Ice
8. Requiem
9. Nordland I
10. Nordland II
11. Octagon
12. Destroyer of Worlds

A
1. Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2. Hammerheart

A-
3. The Return...
4. Bathory
5. Blood and Ice

B+
6. Blood Fire Death
7. Twilight of the Gods
8. Nordland I
9. Nordland II

C
10. Destroyer of Worlds

F
11. Requiem
12. Octagon

Really great discography, save the bottom two. It offers both depth and variety.

1) Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2) Hammerheart
3) Blood Fire Death
4) The Return
5) Blood on Ice
6) Bathory
7) Nordland I