GMD Votes: Top Traditional/Doom Album Prelims

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Okay, so you all know the drill by now. However, I'm throwing TRADITIONAL doom in for some variety and because the lines are blurred in lots of cases regarding traditional and doom metal.

I hope you're happy, Schmidt

Caveat: No more than two albums per band

This will prevent lists from being Sabbathmaidenpriest exclusively. That and people finally saw the light in the black metal thread.

Voting closes 10 days from today.

As always list your top 15-25 full-length albums in order. Do not list demos, EPs or compilations

NWOBHM counts, but anything like Zeppelin does not just for the purposes of this thread

Thanks.

just to clarify, you're including ALL doom or just, say, clean-vocalled stuff or something? 'cause there's a lot of doom that has basically zero relation to trad metal.

1. warning - watching from a distance
2. jag panzer - ample destruction
3. fates warning - awaken the guardian
4. cirith ungol - king of the dead
5. adramelch - irae melanox
6. fates warning - the spectre within
7. judas priest - sad wings of destiny
8. satan - court in the act
9. blitzkrieg - a time of changes
10. satan's host - metal from hell
11. crimson glory - crimson glory
12. manilla road - crystal logic
13. angel witch - angel witch
14. black sabbath - black sabbath
15. trouble - psalm 9
16. siren - no place like home
17. mercyful fate - don't break the oath
18. black sabbath - vol. 4
19. candlemass - epicus doomus metallicus
20. manowar - into glory ride
21. solstice - new dark age
22. saint vitus - saint vitus
23. helstar - a distant thunder
24. heavy load - stronger than evil
25. reverend bizarre - in the rectory of the bizarre reverend

ugh, so much great stuff i had to leave out. also i was a bit iffy about whether the trad side of thrash is eligible, i'd have included SHOW NO MERCY for example but i figured it probably doesn't count?

shit's difficult

1. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
2. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
3. Satan - Court in the Act
4. Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
5. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
6. Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
7. Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom
8. Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
9. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
10. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
11. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
12. Cauldron Born - Born of the Cauldron
13. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
14. Adramelch - Irae Melanox
15. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
16. Judas Priest - Stained Class
17. Omen - Battle Cry
18. Angel Witch - Angel Witch
19. Oz - Fire in the Brain
20. Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon
21. Helstar - Remnants of War
22. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
23. Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof
24. Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory
25. Riot - Narita

edited to include 25

So would power metal go on this list? It seems like it's closer to trad. than any other sub-genre.

Well, here's the ultimate goal:

We currently have 4 threads: Black, Trad, Death and Thrash

I will be redoing the death metal one since I have a better understanding of how to do it and it was a dry run to gauge interest.

In order to do a Top 50 since there was some interest about that, I plan on doing another thread for 'Other'. This will basically encompass anything not covered and that includes power metal.

Unless people want power metal included here. People are already including Jag Panzer and Omen..

I'm also really surprised the first two lists didn't have Diamond Head in there..

Deep Purple have a few albums that are not only heavy metal, but are classics of the genre. Some of their stuff is more metal than early priest for example. I don't know how the fuck we're leaving one of the forefathers of heavy metal off this list.

Deep Purple have a few albums that are not only heavy metal, but are classics of the genre. Some of their stuff is more metal than early priest for example. I don't know how the fuck we're leaving one of the forefathers of heavy metal off this list.

The only one I can think of for Deep Purple is Machine Head. I would include stuff like Scropions' 'Blackout'. A lot of that stuff toes the line so it's hard to really nail down a definitive genre for those.

For the purposes of this thread only, though. I didn't disallow Venom on the black metal lists though, so..

This is all you guys. Come to a consensus.

DP in Rock is also heavy metal, plus they have a bunch of metal tracks scattered throughout their later albums. Lovedrive and Love at First Sting from Scorpions are also metal.

edit: I have no problem with zeppelin not being on here, as none of their albums would be classified as metal.

Also..

Deep Purple inspired the youngsters that would later on become the NWOBHM, speed metal etc.

While zeppelin inspired this...
steven-tyler1.jpg

fuck this one is going to be super hard...

i have a few albums i know are going to be on the list because they tower above the rest, but so much stuff that is basically on "the same level"

i'd argue that symphonic power metal, flowery euro stuff etc is a no go. the "power metal" that trad lovers gravitate towards is a recognisably separate strain.

otherwise let's face it i would've included dark moor. i'm really gay for dark moor.

Don't be sad that you're unclear. I don't know how Crystal Logic and Warning can end up on the same musical spectrum list as it is anyways

I'm also really surprised the first two lists didn't have Diamond Head in there..

i considered LTTN but i find it too uneven. the title track is one of my favourite songs ever though! i left off loads of really really classic bands tbh, like omen, pagan altar, maiden, motorhead, brocas helm, riot, agent steel, tyrant, queensryche, pentagram (the only thing that would've made it isn't technically an album).

i'm sad i wasn't around to participate in the death and thrash threads -_-

Don't be sad that you're unclear. I don't know how Crystal Logic and Warning can end up on the same musical spectrum list as it is anyways

they're liked by pretty much the same circles. i mean, warning are a very love/hate band, but i bet virtually everyone who loves them is also into manilla road type stuff. i realise that's kind of irrelevant to whether they're similar musically, but i figure there's at least some kind of overlap in terms of what itches they scratch.

1. Fates Warning – The Spectre Within
2. Candlemass – Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
3. Iron Maiden – Killers
4. Judas Priest – Sin After Sin
5. Adramelch – Irae Melanox
6. Secrecy – Art in Motion
7. Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
8. Judas Priest – Stained Class
9. Othyrworld – Beyond into the Night of Day
10. Trouble – Trouble
11. Mercyful Fate – Don’t Break the Oath
12. Queensryche – Rage for Order
13. Savatage – Hall of the Mountain King
14. The Lord Weird Slough Feg – Down Among the Deadmen
15. Trouble – Psalm 9
16. W.A.S.P. – The Headless Children
17. Zions Abyss – T.A.L.E.S.
18. Queensryche – The Warning
19. Black Sabbath – Paranoid
20. Scorpions – Taken by Force
21. Taramis – Queen of Thieves
22. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
23. Metal Church – Metal Church
24. The Lord Weird Slough Feg – Traveller
25. Savatage - Sirens

Would have included Slauter Xstroyes’ Free the Beast, Dark Age’s S/T, and Savatage’s The Dungeons Are Calling if I was allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.