Great albums with less than 100 RYM ratings

Nov 23, 2002
stole this from the RYM board: name some of your favourite metal albums with less than 100 ratings on https://rateyourmusic.com/, stuff that's so good you're itching to give it wider exposure

please give reasons for your choices rather than just spamming lists! i'd also suggest avoiding ultra new stuff that will probably end up getting more than 100 ratings in time.

Reactions: EspaDa and CiG
Scum - Purple Dreams & Magic Poems
R-1800444-1244181481.jpeg.jpg

One of the first albums I guessed would have sub-100 ratings. A very underrated Finnish Death Metal album from 1995 right as the golden years were ending. I suppose they just came slightly late to the game. Also the album title probably didn't help with its popularity..

52559_photo.jpg

Inertial Mass - Guest for Autopsy 1992. One of my favourite demos, avant-garde technical death metal from Spain who split up in 1993 and the drummer and guitarist went on to form death/gothic/doom band Golgotha. Definitely a band I'd love to see get a good quality CD reissue, with their other demo from 1991 which isn't as good but still cool. As of writing this Guest for Autopsy only has 31 ratings. The bassist is a huge highlight for me here.

Nefas - Transfiguration to the Ancient's Form 1999. Doing a little better with this EP at 55 ratings. Italian brutal tech schizophrenia, the drumming is so intense I fucking love it. All of Nefas' shit rules (their first demo tape in particular) but this EP is just an absolute monster and I try to namedrop it whenever I can. Even better is this was a blind buy for me because a) the cover art was cool and b) the CD was like 5$ including shipping.

Lunatic Gods - The Wilderness 2002 (the full album is on Bandcamp). 35 ratings for this Slovakian weirdness, a mixture of avant-garde, death metal and symphonic but also more than that. It's at times all over the place and for some reason I just really enjoy it. It's their third album, the previous two are also fucking awesome and a tad more conventional for anybody who is turned off by the weirder stuff going on here.

Mordeth - Animicide 2001. This one is a personal holy grail for me (not on the level of White Stallions mind you). Brazilian prog/tech/space death metal? I guess that covers it as best as possible, and this album was actually recorded and intended to be released in 1997 but didn't see the light of day until 4 years later. This only has 11 ratings and the other 10 don't like it very much lmao. Anyways the whole album has this cold alien feeling to it, it's technically inclined without flexing too much, it's steeped in classic death metal but there's also a very evident space rock/progressive rock nature to the way it's all presented. I don't really know how to sell this one but if you like the idea of Immolation, Incantation, Voivod, Hawkwind, Morbid Angel and Atheist merged together into some kind of understated new lifeform you should check this out. There are even some moments that remind me of Demilich.

Shah - Escape From Mind

Witchaven - Terrorstorm

Execution - Perversions and Blasphemy

Tyton - Mind Over Metal

Force of Darkness - Darkness Revelation

Fueled By Fire - Trapped In Perdition

Raven Payne - No Remorse

Powerlord - The Awakening

EDIT: none of these outside of Terrorstorm and Perversions and Blasphemy are "favorites", but i think they're all solid.

Last edited:
22214.jpg

Post Mortem - Destined for Failure. Another one from 1993. One I post often in the albums kicking your ass thread. 20 ratings and zero reviews on M-A! Unsurprisingly, their most famous title, Cororner's Office, is the only one to break 100 ratings. After that album they more or less said fuck genre and while not as schizoid as the second album Festival of Fun (26 ratings, heh), this is still one of the strangest metal albums ever. Songs can jump from miserable sludge metal, and really good sounding miserable sludge metal, to jazzy, avant (I'm sensing a theme here) freakouts that weirdly just work. Several tracks feature female vocals to excellent effect. Limited appeal.

Lol, you and espada seem to be the only people i've ever come across who have a problem with me giving that garbage low ratings

Oh trust me, I'm not a fan of Beyonce either. I just found it interesting you were downvoting her specifically. From the glimpse of your top+lowest rated albums it would seem that pop albums are a stark departure from your other genres.

Have to sit with this longer, but two come to mind right away:

1. Black Lotus, Harvest of Seasons

Was a fan of this since first listen. Overtones of Borknagar, really great melodies and blend of black and folk, good clean vocals too. Really bummed they split up.

2. Bornholm, March for Glory and Revenge (and Inexorable Defiance, while we’re at it).

Never understood why these guys weren’t more widely liked. Really solid Hungarian tribal black metal, overtones of Bathory. March is pretty crushing and brutal, Inexorable more epic and soaring. Both are great. Riffs on Inexorable are especially good, really excellent interplay between guitarists. Clean vocals used sparingly, and done well.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Oh trust me, I'm not a fan of Beyonce either. I just found it interesting you were downvoting her specifically. From the glimpse of your top+lowest rated albums it would seem that pop albums are a stark departure from your other genres.
I also have a bunch of rap albums rated at 0,5. So what? Kiss is pretty much pop and not too far from beyonce and i have every one of their albums rated at 0.5 too haha. I even have some of your fellow Swedes on there(Ace of Base lol)

sadly i've had people around me that were/are big fans of beyonce and played her shit a lot. I think shes garbage, her music is garbage and will downvote her any chance i get. As a matter of fact, your post reminded me to go downvote her lion king soundtrack.

What about Cenotaph? When I was making my 2010 list I noticed you gave Putrescent Infectious Rabidity a 0.5 rating. Surprised me.

Wall of Silents - Looking Through Cadaver Eyes. Most that come up for me will be New Zealand bands. This is Motörheady punk/metal but with stoner/doom influences and horror movie themes.

Malachi - Wither To Cover The Tread. US band. Doom/crust with dual vocals and a cello. I dig when bands change it up a bit like that. Need to seek out similar stuff.

Creeping - Order of Snakes. This band took a while to get onto my radar despite being local. I assumed they were just another extreme band that wouldn't stand out to my ears, but they were combining doom & black metal before I knew that was a thing and it turned out they ruled. This particular album was a free download only via a blog. I should upload it to get it back out there.

The House of Capricorn - In the Devil's Days. Members of Creeping had another great band going. Most of their albums are recorded by Jamie of Ulcerate which helps. This band started out more as stoner rock but on this album they play 73 minutes of melancholic doom with Type O Negative and black metal influences. Their genre shifting was interesting. On their 3rd album they moved in a death rock/rock 'n' roll direction.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark