Thunder and lightning came crashing down
Hit the earth and split the ground
Fire burned high in the sky

From down below fire melted the stone
The ground shook and started to pound

The gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good
They said to play it louder than hell
We promised that we would

...and THAT is how metal came to be in my life. Going on seven years now.

Seriously though, it went, White/Rob Zombie > Linkin Park (only Hybrid Theory) > Hard rock > nu-metal > black metal > everything else. I pretty much rounded out this transition ages 10-15. I owe a lot to quite a few people that helped to guide me on my way then. I had never actually liked much music in general before then. I only enjoy classical and indsutrial outside of it all.

Shamefully, I got into it through hardcore/metalcore. I listened to stuff like Poison the Well and Blood Has Been Shed. After a while the stuff just got old and I wanted something heavier. Around that time, I came across Opeth's Damnation album and thought it was amazing. That led me to check out their other material. At first, I hated it. I kept listening to it though and it really grew on me.

From there I got into the melodic death scene. Lots of bands from Sweden and Finland. After a while, a lot of them (not all) just started sounding the same. After that I discovered black metal.

These days I've been listening to a lot of progressive and avant-garde metal. Folk metal is pretty awesome too.

Shamefully, I got into it through hardcore/metalcore. I listened to stuff like Poison the Well and Blood Has Been Shed. After a while the stuff just got old and I wanted something heavier. Around that time, I came across Opeth's Damnation album and thought it was amazing. That led me to check out their other material. At first, I hated it. I kept listening to it though and it really grew on me.

From there I got into the melodic death scene. Lots of bands from Sweden and Finland. After a while, a lot of them (not all) just started sounding the same. After that I discovered black metal.

These days I've been listening to a lot of progressive and avant-garde metal. Folk metal is pretty awesome too.

Is your user name based on Sunn O)))?

How it happened

The Offspring --> The Darkness:p --> Nirvana --> Nine Inch Nails --> Alexisonfire --> Slipknot/Lamb of God --> Slayer --> Decapitated/Cannibal Coprse/Gojira/Death etc.

Keep in mind that I'm an old fuck compared to most of you.

I don't know what initially got me into metal but I think It was all the virtuoso guitarists I used to jam along to when I was 12 or so (ex: Vai-Passion and Warfare, Satriani-Flying in Blue Dream) and I always loved the heavy parts of their instrumentals.
Then I eventually watched Headbangers Ball religiously EVERY Saturday night (w/Ricki Rachtman) so I could get my fix of old Suicidal Tendencies videos, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, ...even the Hair metal shit I loved at the time.

The album that got me into Death Metal FULL BLOWN was "Wake Up and Smell The Carcass" which immediately after hearing that cassette lol I went and purchased Heartwork.
It was pretty much all over from there and still remains my favorite DM album of all time.
Opeth Deliverance (the first time I heard that song)opened my eyes to a whole new genre and opened up my taste and craving for bands alike. Soon came Agalloch, Porcupine Tree,Anathema, Green Carnation, Rapture, Katatonia and the list goes on.

My favorite genre is still Progressive Metal.
(minus Dream Theatre)

I got into metal in the 80s.... with "popular" bands from that time.... internet didn't exist back then! and when you're a kid.... you can't buy tons of albums like I do right now.

Metallica, Ac/Dc, Megadeth, Slayer, Guns N Roses, Scorpion, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc... were some I remember listening.... of course I was also listening to pop music at the same time.I admnit I still love pop music from the 80s even today :p it's so different from the rap crap playing these days and it's also full of nostalgia.

I listened to nu-metal for a short period of time then got into Hatebreed. Pretty soon i was into hardcore/metalcore up to my ears, I dont think there was band on the east coast I had'nt heard since I would just sit at the computer all day and keep saying "thats so heavy" to band after badn and I never got sick of it. Pretty soon I heard Suffocation- Pierced From Within for the first time and I fell in love. That was around 2001 I believe he rest is history then I got into Nile...........and then I bought Death- The Sound OF Perserverance and that was probably the biggest turning point because I had never heard any Death that I could remember and I bought it on a whim and I absolutely played it to death (pun not intended)it opened me up to a lot of stuff to because it showed that just because I didnt know it, it didnt mean there wasnt excellent stuff out there. And here I am, just as excited about music then as I am now.

It seems like a lot of people went through a nu metal phase...never really thought of nu-metal as a gateway to true metal...
My own nu-metal phase happened after I got into metal...got the first 2 Godsmack albums...not much of a phase, since I didn't like them much...later got The Sickness by Disturbed, but it sucked...

When I was young my sister listened to nothing but Metallica. I originally hated it but my dad started listening to it which made it even worse. Whenever we were in the car going on a trip I would hear Metallica. Whenever I was at home I would hear Metallica.

Eventually I caved in and started humming the songs and I loved them. I became obsessed with them. Then I discovered other bands (much heavier and melodic) which launched me into the Metal Goodness.

I'm so thankful my sister and my dad force-fed me music I hated when I was young. Now I love it!

I was raised on the classics like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and naturally progressed into Metallica and such, then I seen the light one night along time ago. Dead Embryonic Cells on the original Headbangers Ball, I loved it but had to endure growing up in rural Maine and subsequently did not find much else besides Slayer until I moved to South Carolina and started spending all my money at a local record store and made the natural progression from old school Slayer and Sepultura to where I am now.

no music taste -> punk rock 3 months ---> hardcore/metalcore/nu-metal 2---> nu metal 1 month ---> TRUE Metal(Black, Death, Thrash, Heavy, Power, Folk etc)

Metal head in less than 5 months :)

Bands with no talent-->Iron Maiden, Sabbath-->Slayer-->Watched In Flames and Behemoth at Sounds a few years ago-->Power metal, Thrash, Death, etc.

Grew up listening to Zep, the Kinks, Queen etc though my parents

The first metal song I remember listening to was Metallica's 'One', I remember seeing the video clip in the early 90s. From there I bought the Black Album which I loved at the time, but eventually bought the back catalogue.

Around the same time I started listening to Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins etc as well as getting into punk via The Offspring and Bad Religion.

I think my life changed when I heard Tool's album Aenima around 1996.

The first gig I went to was Bush (yuck) in 1996, I was 13.

From here I got seriously into punk and hardcore

Then went through a brief nu-metal phase mainly because of Slipknot.

Then I got into extreme metal when by chance I bought a copy of My Dying Bride's 'Angel and the Dark River' and Anathema's 'Judgement'. Still two of my all time favourite albums. From here it was a short step into Opeth, death metal and black metal.

as far as I'm concerned, if you were born between 1978-1985, you probably went through a 'nu-metal' phase.

I grew up on an "alternative rock" radio. Then one day my friend introduced me to Disturbed, Sevendust, System of a Down, Godsmack, etc. Then I picked up Headbanger's Ball vol.1 and got exposed to heavier stuff. I got obsessed with Meshuggah and Lamb of God for a while. Out of curiosity I started exploring every subgenre of metal out there, getting into heavier and more obscure stuff as time progressed. I went through a *gag* metalcore obsession for a while, then got into death, black, thrash, doom, and stoner. Candlemass was my first exposure to any sort of doom, and that let me to discover Sleep, Spirit Caravan, and Goatsnake, which solidified my obsession with all things stoner and psychedelic.:headbang: