How Terry Date Records vocals

I think the main reason he doesn't get talked about much is because, unlike a lot of the big name producers that come up on here, he doesn't have a signature sound that he applies to every band. He tends to sculpt the sound to fit the band, and whatever elements are most important to them.

With some people (Ross Robinson's nu-metal records spring to mind), you instantly know who produced/mixed just from the sound - with Date the results are much more varied, but a lot of bands that work with him then end up with very similar mixes on future albums they record with other people.

Steve

That's amusing (the Pumpkins thing) but it's more coincidence than anything else.

Like, if anything, bouncing this off your earballs simply proves that the 2 clips are different bands with the same singer/guitarist. I like the non-veiled EVH influence on the new track, btw. Never heard the song before, as I generally can't stand most of Billy Corgan's stuff.

The fidelity of the later recording exceeds that of the former, whereas the reverse is pretty much plainly obvious when discussing songwriting and production, IMO.

I must say that Terry Date has mixed/produced/whatever some of my favorite albums, both musically and mix, Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Deftones - Around The Fur / White Pony, White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000, Limp Bizkit - Significant Other. I absolutely love the guitars and drums on "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.", "Astro Creep 2000" and "Significant Other". If you haven't listened to those albums, you should give them a listen!

I must say that Terry Date has mixed/produced/whatever some of my favorite albums, both musically and mix, Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Deftones - Around The Fur / White Pony, White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000, Limp Bizkit - Significant Other. I absolutely love the guitars and drums on "S.C.I.E.N.C.E.", "Astro Creep 2000" and "Significant Other". If you haven't listened to those albums, you should give them a listen!

Id like to add Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger to this list.

Terry Date rules.

I'm a fan of Terry Date's mixes. The Black Sabbath tribute "Nativity in Black" is one of the most frequently played CD's in my collection.

Terry date is awesome.
Around the fur drum sound is godly. even if the guitars (as stephs always do) sound shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, anyone here knows how to achieve the vocal distortion fx of the song Elite from Deftones?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynvK1oKTrc
The soundquality is pretty bad and I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff but I can hear all sorts of things going on in the vocals...
Pretty aggressive style to begin with, distortion obviously, some (lower) layers, probably a lot of EQ and at least two more things I can't point my finger at that at times make the vocals sound like they where under water or some kind of computer/space voice.

It isnt that strange that he's not talked about. He's production dont sound good. Listen to Pantera, totally cool when it came out, but nowdays it sounds really out dated and strange sounding. Limp Bizkit dont sound that good either.

limp bizkit sounds fucking massive dude

Check out the self titled CD by Handsome - They were a New York band with members of Quicksand and Helmet, and they were amazing. They only made one record, but it's my favorite Terry Date recording (especially the guitars, oh my god).

It isnt that strange that he's not talked about. He's production dont sound good. Listen to Pantera, totally cool when it came out, but nowdays it sounds really out dated and strange sounding. Limp Bizkit dont sound that good either.

shut da fuck up bitch:)

I love terry dates work, he is one of my favorites!!!!

Listen to:

Deftones - around the fur
Deftones - white pony
Funeral for a friend - hours
dredg - catch without arms

and Limp bizkits productions are fucking sick, the only good thing about them!!!!