I want to get into Black Metal, but I like Power Metal and Melodeath.

Ride The Lightning

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2019
The title kinda says it all, Ive listened to Burzum, Windir, Sargeist, Demoniac, Limbonic Art, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Vried, Naglfar, Azaghal, and 1349. And I want to get more into black metal. Preferably More Melodic and Symphonic, and maybe some Blackened Thrash bands aswell.

Melodic black metal:

Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Dawn - Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Setherial - Nord
Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup
Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike
Nefandus - The Nightwinds Carried Our Name
Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness
Sorcier des Glaces - North
Stutthof - Towards Thy Astral Path
Stutthof - And Cosmos from Ashes to Dust...
Acherontas - Theosis

Symphonic:

Emperor - In the Nighhtside Eclipse
Kataxu - Hunger of the Elements
Vargrav - Netherstorm

Not really symphonic in the traditional sense but also try:

Fanisk - Noontide
Fanisk - Die and Become
Summoning - Nightshade Forests
Summoning - Dol Guldur

Last edited:
Melodic black metal:

Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Dawn - Nær sólen gar niþer for evogher
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Setherial - Nord
Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup
Kvist - For kunsten maa vi evig vike
Nefandus - The Nightwinds Carried Our Name
Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness
Sorcier des Glaces - North
Stutthof - Towards Thy Astral Path
Stutthof - And Cosmos from Ashes to Dust...
Acherontas - Theosis

Symphonic:

Emperor - In the Nighhtside Eclipse
Kataxu - Hunger of the Elements
Vargrav - Netherstorm

Not really symphonic in the traditional sense but also try:

Fanisk - Noontide
Fanisk - Die and Become
Summoning - Nightshade Forests
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Thanks Man!

i'll add goat horns by nokturnal mortum. a bunch of their albums are good in different ways, but i'd probably start there as it's their most conventionally 'symphonic'.

The title kinda says it all, Ive listened to Burzum, Windir, Sargeist, Demoniac, Limbonic Art, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Vried, Naglfar, Azaghal, and 1349. And I want to get more into black metal. Preferably More Melodic and Symphonic, and maybe some Blackened Thrash bands aswell.
Most people on this forum hate melodic stuff, so just in case we're overlooking the most obvious black metal choice for someone who likes melodic stuff, let's not forget Dimmu Borgir:

Last edited:
I mean, Dimmu Borgir isn’t even that melodic, at least their guitar lines anyway. Most of the melody comes from the keyboards. They’re certainly not as overtly melodic as a band like Sacramentum on their first album. I feel like you’re confusing melodic with accessible.

Doesn’t matter if it’s mainly from the keyboards, they’re still melodic - they wouldn’t be as popular as they are if they weren’t. Painfully glaring omission from the thread.
I mean, Dimmu Borgir isn’t even that melodic, at least their guitar lines anyway. Most of the melody comes from the keyboards. They’re certainly not as overtly melodic as a band like Sacramentum on their first album. I feel like you’re confusing melodic with accessible.

Most people on this forum hate melodic stuff, so just in case we're overlooking the most obvious black metal choice for someone who likes melodic stuff, let's not forget Dimmu Borgir:

That was awesome, I need to listen to Demon Burger more often. Definitely one of the better symphonic black metal bands.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
That was awesome, I need to listen to Demon Burger more often. Definitely one of the better symphonic black metal bands.

Stick to their earlier stuff, then. They haven't been particularly interesting in the past two decades.

Yeah, the 1996-99 stuff is all I could recommend. I like everything up to Death Cult Armageddon cause I'm a bit of a fanboy, but they're pretty shit from In Sorte Diaboli onward.