Japanese Horror Movies

LucioArgento

Make Love, Not Peace
Apr 2, 2002
1 Hate Pit Avenue
Just want to say that I'm a huge fan of Japanese horror - movies like Ring, Junk, Wild Zero, Versus etc.

Any further recommendations greatly appreciated! :)

I loved Ring. I'm in the process of getting "Battle Royale". It came out in the UK but they banned it in the USA because of all the school shootings etc. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing Ring. It was at the cinema's here recently, but I didn;t get to see it.

Ah and now I know what Battle Royale is. I've heard of it a lot, I assumed it was an anime. Yay!

Battle royale is one of the best films i've seen in ages, endings a bit dodgy but overall fantastic. I really want to see the film called Audition but can't find it anywhere, anyone seen it?

I'm so pigsick of mainstream horror movies thank god for the Japanese ones, I like their style and genuine ability to be creepy

Originally posted by Bodylouseuk
Battle royale is one of the best films i've seen in ages, endings a bit dodgy but overall fantastic. I really want to see the film called Audition but can't find it anywhere, anyone seen it?

I'm so pigsick of mainstream horror movies thank god for the Japanese ones, I like their style and genuine ability to be creepy

Body - ( haven't seen you in the hate pit for a while ;) ) you should check out crimsoncultvideo - they have every banned and weird horror movie under the sun. They ship everywhere too. I just picked up a really nice print of Cannibal Holocaust and Versus (japanese gun fest with Samurai Zombies) :headbang:.

I'm trying to get Audition too, but I have to say, RING is the absolute best. I cannot believe the yanks are remaking it hollywood style.

Lee_B said:
There's a huge selection of these movies at www.dddhouse.com . They're absed in Hong Kong, but they're really good, and very cheap too.

I've ordered from them several times and you'll save yourself a packet (most DVDs are between £5.00-£8.00).

I will recommend Kwaidan, Kaosu & Kairo.

Lee

What region are all the DVD's in? Because I have a damn stupid region two player (still trying to get it hacked :( ) :)

junnie from the east said:
i'm not sure what's the subtitle in english, but the movie called "Hono grai mizu no soko kara" which means, "from underneath the deep. slightly dark water..." was made by the same director of Ring. it's scary too!

Are you talking about a pretty recent movie about a woman moving into a murky house together with her daughter? If so the English title is Dark Water and it's indeed super scary!
Available for just a couple of bucks from DDDhouse too, the disc is region 3 though.

NP: Forbidden - Twisted into Form

ms. anthrope said:
i'm usually okay with gore, but this one makes me wince a lot!

:lol: It made me slightly uneasy. I saw Audition the other day, however, and that's the most effective use of violence I've seen in a film for a while. The first three quarters is a love sotry, which makes the gorey finale... well, very unsettling ;)

hi there

it's ghi from Italy, ready to join the Japanese movie fans army here on UM!

I reccomend everyone Tsykamoto's movies: Tetsuo, Tetsuo 2, Tokyo Fist, Gemini. He is a great and crazy director.

After him, the big name to follow now in Japan is Miike Takashi (director of Audition, Ichi the Killer, etc.).
He has done yet about 60 (!!!) feature films in ten years, all of them are crazy, innovative and unforgettable. Check out "Visitor Q" and "Dead or Alive" to see with your own eyes!

On the horror side, check out Organ by Fujiwara Kei (difficult but not impossible to find) and Gojoe by Ishii Sogo (not exactly an horror but it's worth)

bye:wave: