Listen to my album

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
This first song Cry of Ravaged Woods has a haunting and dark vibe, something like a storm in a dark forest. It's about the anguished sorrow of forests being cut down, and the silent anger it creates. Just give it a shot and if you have musical questions then ask. There's 7 tracks and I'll release one per day.

-

Last edited:
Very different from what I was expecting, but surprisingly interesting. Reminds me a bit of the albums Varg Vikernes wrote on his synthetizer while in jail (that's probably the Tux Guitar sound that gives this vibe) and I like it.

Yeah I've been feeling Burzum a lot lately. Note that this album has no keyboard. I challenged myself to create atmosphere without keyboard, and heaviness in standard E tuning for guitars (bass is in B.) Even tho the refrain melody of this song I did come up with my keyboard as I was creating this melody that needed to reflect the emotions of the forest being cut down. There's both terrified, malicious, sad and mysterious feelings in the melody.

Last edited:
I've put a lot of emphasis on creativity with bass, so pay attention to that and make sure you're having good volume and boom.

Doesn't sound like Bodom, but then again you never said it would. I was expecting some form of black metal and I think this is just that. Melodic, dark and atmospheric. Favorite parts are probably the intro melody stuff and then the first blast beat part (Verse?). It even works without the keyboards, something I perhaps even doubted a little back when you told us you wouldn't use them. Proper sounds and vocals will turn it into a pretty good bm song I think.

This song The Gutter is the second slowest one. The verse melody and riff and the arrangement of the song I'm pretty proud of. It's got the feeling of being down in a sewer. It's mysterious and hideous and it's about living homeless in shitty rathole and caring only about getting high. Gutter is the place where rainwater washes all the filth and no daylight can reach.

-

Last edited:
This is almost Voivod esque type stuff with how...I dont wanna say dissonant? Its certainly unique and I like it a lot!

Must admit that I prefered the first one. This one is lacking something in my opinion. Love the atmosphere (which fits the description you've made) but the arrangement and the "melodies" just feel a bit too random for me.

Joonas, my man, the songs are complete crap :lol: but congrats on finally releasing your stuff :kickass:

I'm very proud of the arrangements in that song, the energy shifts and all. The verse in that song (the melody and the heavy riff) I personally dig a lot. Of course this is black metal, with traces of doom, stoner and psychedelic metal, so it's understandable it's not superficial enough for Bodom-fans. It took me over ten years after loving FTR to even start liking black metal. And yes, dissonance is intentional in black metal, just done in a good way.

You like Xenakis' stuff by any chance? What your tracks remind me of.

I'd say I also preferred the first one for being a bit more fast and energetic. It was also perhaps a bit more memorable. Both songs are very dark and atmospheric though, so you've done very well with that. I would've made the drums a bit faster in this one.

Don't forget I like doom metal and Burzum and Silent Hill soundtracks. Meaning slower tempos and insane soundworlds. But hey, you'll hear Bodom influences in one coming song, I promise.

You like Xenakis' stuff by any chance? What your tracks remind me of.

Dude fuck you, seriously...

I can tell you guitar guys Esa and Arcane if you wanna try it with real sounds, the first notes on the song Cry of Ravaged Woods are triads that go:

---0-------------------------------------
------6----------------------------------
---------4-------------6-----------------
---------------------0-------------------
------------------4----------------------
-----------------------------------------

(In E tuning of course.)

Then it continues with the hypnotic and disturbed section that has a secret... tritones!

I think the middle 8 section in that song is badass as fuck, too (at 4:07), it's related to that fill offered earlier.

Btw please remember to up your bass when listening. I've played bass for over 500 albums within the last couple of years and I've given deep thought to the bass sections.

Last edited:
It sounds like very old-school horror movie music, but that's probably because it's midi. I would classify this as Demon metal, cause it sounds like some demonic ritual or something. I dig the atmosphere and style, but not my type of listening. I'll be on the lookout for your more Bodom influenced songs.

^Cool. It's not traditional black metal, it's more melodic and atmospheric and it's got some powerful riffs too. But some of the sections are just psychedelic, and you're in for some straight up witchcraft stuff. Just wait for songs 4 and 5, those should satisfy the Bodom ears. Song 6 is a tragic black metal ballad. Song 7 will be thrashy and contains extremely fast sections but is still emotional.

Please bear in mind this is not a guitar jubilee. I'm not one bit the guitarist you guys are. These guitars were born in sole purpose to create sounds from my mind. Just basic interval theory is involved. I compose these sections by having an idea first, then listening to my mind's dark slumbers, then grabbing the instrument and seeing how that idea is played.

Dude fuck you, seriously...
I mean the only way for your music to make any sense would be for you to claim it's atonal. Because if it isn't I guess you're lucky enough to be completely tone-deaf :lol: