Lord of the Rings Discussion Thread

Mathiäs;10786621 said:
Shelob is probably a Maiar, an incredibly formidable opponent. Besides, that whole path is traveled by Mordor orcs.

Mordor orcs.

Mordorcs.

Mordorks...

More dorks!!!

And I follow this thread, so I suppose I count.

Is the last Hobbit movie still watchable in theaters? I'm tired of waiting for the blu ray to see it again.

Resurrecting this thread. After initially being disappointed with the Battle of the Five Armies, I watched the extended edition and there are some cool scenes. The attack on Dol Goldur was cool, and the Thanduil battle sequences were fun too.

Lately I've been doing a lot of reading on Thranduil, Oropher, and the figures of the first age. Tons of shit I didn't know about.

Also, read a thing about how Tolkien might have intended Allatar and Pollando to have actually succeeded in the East instead of failing, which is the prevailing opinion.

My favourite LotR character is Tom Bombadil. So cryptic and his existence has never been explained. Also, he wasn't such a meaningful character despite his power.

Also I love the part with Shelob. It has always scared the shit out of me when I was reading the book as a child.

I still skip past that part when I rewatch it. It's like my worst nightmare come to life.

Tom Bombadil is interesting but there's just not enough information on him. He's obviously a Maiar or greater as he was in the world before the Elves and before Melkor though.

And I hated that snake Grima. I suppose it's the character I despise the most next to Gollum.

Yeah, it's a shame that Tolkien never really explained Bombadil's being. He would have been a great asset to the fellowship, although I'm not entirely convinced he would ever agree to fight.