mesa oversized dimensions lolwaut.

Sloan

Sounds like shit!
Oct 22, 2006
Atlanta, GA
www.sloanstewart.com
dammit. i finally got a mesa 4x12 and the dimensions are exactly the same as my trusty Crate Blue Voodoo cab with WGS Veteran 30's that i've had forever except the mesa is an inch or so taller. i was expecting a much larger cab.

upon first listens and quickly micing it up, i had compared it to a reamp with same amp/close settings and the mesa definitely has a much tighter low end, but it's the same general sound.

I think external dimension is kept relatively consistent mostly for convenience purposes. The Mesa likely has a noticeably more spacious internal dimension, and much more dense sides and top.

You know you can't post a statement like that without first providing the cleeps :Spin:

Aren't the oversized cabs a mid/late 90s thing?

No... the Rectifier cab is oversized, the Stiletto (traditional) cab is not. As long as there is a Rectifier there is an oversized cab. And the 4FB is definitely an oversized cab.

That crate cab actually doesn't sound bad, but I think there is a huge difference in sound between your two cabs, so I disagree with you there.

To be honest...from that clip, I think the Crate cab sounds a lot better :D Isn't it because you are used to that cab and are able to dial and mic up a good sound more instinctively?

Yeah, I think you will find that the Recto cab has a really nice and tight low end, but the highs are a bit repressed. Try to tweak the presence knob on the amp until the sound is more defined and less compressed sounding and the signature tone of the cabinet will come out.

I run my Dual recto into a Blue Voodoo cab and have been feeling the pressure to "upgrade" to a Mesa oversized. Looking back, would you say upgrading the speakers is the wisest move? The WGS Veteran 30 speakers you chose seem to be modded in the midrange. Was that something you were looking for?

I'm not very knowledgeable about the differences in cab construction so I'm just doing the tone/$$$ mental dance here.

I run my Dual recto into a Blue Voodoo cab and have been feeling the pressure to "upgrade" to a Mesa oversized. Looking back, would you say upgrading the speakers is the wisest move? The WGS Veteran 30 speakers you chose seem to be modded in the midrange. Was that something you were looking for?

I'm not very knowledgeable about the differences in cab construction so I'm just doing the tone/$$$ mental dance here.

I bought the WGS speakers back when they were like $40-50 a piece. They cost more now, but they do supposedly sound different in the midrange a little bit.
Some of the Blue Voodoo cabs actually came with Vintage 30's the one I had did not, and the veteran's were a cheap option then.

The Crate has much looser lowend, and you can really feel how tight the mesa is when playing it.

The clip is not a perfect representation at all, I just threw the mic up on the mesa and recorded it. It's pretty close to the grill and right on the dustcap/cone seam, so naturally there's more highs. I think the crate was mic'd a little more off and maybe an inch off the grille.

I want to do a true speaker comparison and will probably do an x pattern in each cab with two Veteran 30's and two Vintage 30's. But that's for later.

Thread was started, because I believed the mesa was going to be huge compared to my crate.

If both cabs have same speakers and same dimensions but one is tighter it's down to build quality and materials. I think you could get your Crate tighter simply by opening it up and tightening all the screws inside it. Try it if you're interested. :)

I have a 12 year old blue voodoo crate cab that came with vintage 30s stock. Cab is solid, speakers are solid, hardware is solid. In fact I flipped a car going 60 with this cab in the back and all I had to show for it was some ripped tolex on the back.

Crate has a handful of shit that wasn't that bad. They really did fuck themselves with some of the terrible amps they put out though.

I have popped the back off to have a look at the speakers and it's not like marshall where they fucking re badge the back of the speakers, suckers say celestion vintage 30.

I've never heard the veterans though. I have heard the 70/80s (horrid) and the stock piece of shit blue voodoo cabs (also fucking horrid).