New album Foregone out February 2023

Past and present* members of In Flames have reunited under a single banner... Ladies and gentlemen, I call this "The Halo Effect."

It's a strange way of looking at it, but the COVID pandemic -- and the restrictions on touring that have resulted from it -- has led to a golden age of Gothenburg-borne solo projects and collaborations. Grand Cadaver, Mitochondrial Sun, Anders' new electronic project, the return of The Lurking Fear, the legendary Tuboyz, whatever Anders Jivarp is working on, The Halo Effect...

I'm so hype and have no expectations for The Halo Effect, and I'm not going to assume it'll sound like In Flames. But it's very likely that I'll enjoy it. Bring on the new projects!

*I believe Engelin is still a member of In Flames and will continue to believe this until there is an official announcement indicating otherwise.

It looks like we're the only ones here to excited about new Anders project. Anders shared his little snippets during the pandemic on his instagram paged, I always thought they were cool. I don't know if he'll have vocals on those songs but I'm excited anyway. Though I saw him sharing lyrics while he was recording with Niels Nielsen.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
To me, STYE is one of the less interesting albums from that era. The music is, in general, too simple and mostly serves as a background to Anders voice with some exceptions. I still like it but was disappointed by the "lack of effort" in the guitar work.

Yeah I know what you mean. I didn't like STYE at all for a while, but hearing it live on Used & Abused totally changed my opinion of it. It'd still rank pretty low on the 'classic albums' list but I genuinely do like STYE a lot for what it is nowadays. It might be the best use of keyboards/electronics on any IF album. It's quite an angry and heavy album, which is a theme they continued with into Come Clarity, but they injected more melody into CC.

I have to say, Anders' voice is really, really on point on STYE. His screams and growls are 100x more powerful than they were on Clayman or Reroute, and the cleans are more 'natural' than future albums, and I actually like how he sounds. He still can't sing, but he sounds genuine, not autotuned/protooled into oblivion. Also there's a lot of variation and creativity with Anders' vocals on this album, all of which mix perfectly with the instruments.

I just listened through the album in full for the first time in a while...

F(r)iend - 5/10 - the heaviest song on the album but for me one of the weakest. Anders' vocals on this are brutal but the song itself just isn't that interesting to me.
The Quiet Place - 8/10 - How can you not love the opening 50 seconds of this song? I've always really liked this one, even back when it first came out and everybody was shitting on it. It's a commercial metal song done really, really well.
Dead Alone - 7.5/10 - I didn't get much out of this song until I heard it live. The first minute or so is really awesome. Chorus is one of the weaker ones on the album. Guitar work between 1:40 - 1:55 is classic IF. Drumming on this one is really unique and would be great if the drums were produced properly. The verses on this track are killer, full of pace and energy.
Touch of Red - 7.5/10 - I forgot this one only lasts 2 mins 45 seconds. I love how they switch up the structure by going from the end of the first chorus to the beginning of the second chorus in less than 10 seconds. It's totally unexpected and really works well. Also in contrast to the last song the chorus on this one is so well done, particularly the scream/sing combo of the elongated 'out' at the end.
Like You Better Dead - 8/10 - Stupid song title aside, this went from being a song that irritated me to one of my favourites on the album. Guitars between 00:40 - 00:46, brief but awesome. Guitarwork in the chorus is also amazing, although you hear it better live than on the album. The lull before the final chorus is nice, too.
My Sweet Shadow - 7/10 - Obviously a classic, but I actually think it's one of the less interesting songs on the album. With that said, the transition between the softer verses and the heavier pre-chrous is really intense live. The mix between clean/harsh vocals in the chorus is done really well.
Evil in a Closet - 9/10 - Super ballad which doesn't follow a typical formula. Starts off really soft, then becomes heavier towards the end. The melodies on this one are beautiful. Anders' vocals are OK, not great but not terrible either. The guitar from 02:43 - 03:06 is really unique to the album and a wonderful melody. STYE doesn't have a huge amount of top tier guitar work, but when Jesper/Bjorn turn it on they really turn it on. Just a shame it's often so brief.
In Search for I - 8/10 - Fast, heavy, on point. Chorus lyrics are really stupid, but the chorus itself has a nice groove. Anders' sceams here as good as they've ever been.
Borders and Shading - 7.5/10 - Why they chose to name this song after a function in Microsoft Word is beyond me. Lyrics are kind of creepy and stalkerish. The guitars get a little more room to shine in this one with some good riffing and a nice section starting at 02:22. "Bleak silence, errors stigmatised in you" is one of my favourite lines from any In Flames song. It's belted out with such viciousness. This song in general is pretty brutal in regards to whoever Anders is speaking about - "your face reminds me of a bleak future" :D damn bro.
Superhero of the Computer Rage - 7.5/10 - Another one where the guitars get more of a chance to drive the song. It's similar to "In Search for I" in being fast, heavy and on point.
Dial-595 Escape - 7/10 - Feels like they're starting to run out of steam a bit towards the end of the album, as this is pretty similar to ISFI and Superhero. Chorus is catchy though.
Bottled - 0/10 - Still sucks.
Discover Me Like Emptiness - 7/10 - Nice little ballad, albeit not as good as Evil in a Closet.

So, overall, Bottled aside I actually might love STYE a little bit these days :D it's lacking melody compared to their other works, but the angry, heavy vibe is really energising. Also I really have to say again how good Anders is on this album. Harsh vocals are fucking incredible, and the cleans are absolutely fine. It's something I think you can only appreciate after a certain period of time, having endured his vocal degradation post-CC. It's sometimes surprising to go back and hear how powerful his voice used to be.

The other thing I noticed listening to STYE is that it's actually a lot more creative than people give it credit for. Not so much in terms of guitar melodies, but as far as song structures and vocal arrangements it's actually quite experimental and a lot of it works really well. It really emphasises how far the newer albums have regressed in terms of creativity and generally being able to put a decent song structure in place. Everything in STYE flows naturally, even when they're doing something different, whereas on an album like SC they sound like amateurs who have no idea what they are doing.

It looks like we're the only ones here to excited about new Anders project. Anders shared his little snippets during the pandemic on his instagram paged, I always thought they were cool. I don't know if he'll have vocals on those songs but I'm excited anyway. Though I saw him sharing lyrics while he was recording with Niels Nielsen.

You're mistaking being excited with having a boner.

So, overall, Bottled aside I actually might love STYE a little bit these days :D it's lacking melody compared to their other works, but the angry, heavy vibe is really energising. Also I really have to say again how good Anders is on this album. Harsh vocals are fucking incredible, and the cleans are absolutely fine. It's something I think you can only appreciate after a certain period of time, having endured his vocal degradation post-CC. It's sometimes surprising to go back and hear how powerful his voice used to be.

It might feel like I don't like STYE. I like it, though I would have preferred it to have more complex melodies. Some songs are extremely simplistic. The only one that I don't like is In Search for I, that chorus is so stupid that gets me out of the song inmediately. I even don't have a bad opinion on bottled. Anything from battles is far worse and almost everything from SC. But, songs like DAA or LYBD need more punch. Meaning more guitars and melodies. Still, TQP, TOR, MSS and BAS are great songs.

Now I'm wondering why no one has ever talked about Your Bedtime Story Is Scaring Everyone.

Reactions: ciko_gfb
It might feel like I don't like STYE. I like it, though I would have preferred it to have more complex melodies. Some songs are extremely simplistic. The only one that I don't like is In Search for I, that chorus is so stupid that gets me out of the song inmediately. I even don't have a bad opinion on bottled. Anything from battles is far worse and almost everything from SC. But, songs like DAA or LYBD need more punch. Meaning more guitars and melodies. Still, TQP, TOR, MSS and BAS are great songs.

There's definitely room on the album for more complex guitar melodies, but I think they were just going for something a little different. The album is very compact - tight, generally heavy and fast. It tends to go at such a fast pace that the guitars only get brief moments to shine. With that said I think they remedied this issue on Come Clarity.

The chorus doesn't ruin ISFI for me, but yeah it's so, so dumb. "I am ready to give you the M... it might even be the E!" :rofl: Anders, you spaz.

Not sure if you've heard Dead Alone or Like You Better Dead from Used & Abused but there's definitely more of a punch to them on there. The guitars are more in the forefront and the sound in general is a bit more dynamic than on the album.

It's been a lot since I last saw the dvd. I should be doing that now that I have a proper audio system for the tv.

It's definitely worth checking out. I remember being pretty disappointed that STYE of all albums was going to be the one getting played in full on the DVD, but in retrospect it gave me an entirely new perspective on the album so I'm glad they did.

Now I'm listening to their pre-2004 songs and remembering why after 20 years they're still my favourite band of all time. Almost every song between 1996-2000 is a 9/10 or 10/10.

I've been listening to their "old" discography during the past couple of months. I had not done that for years. I think... Maybe since SC was released.

I tend to listen to songs on random so an old IF track will normally pop up here and there. I rarely listen to their albums in full anymore unless I have a reason to. I listened to the original version of Clayman all the way through back when the remaster was released, just to wash away the bad taste of the 'remakes'.

I tend to load full discographies in my phone, since I, mostly, can only listen to music while taking out the dog for a walk. So, I can listen to the full discography from start to finish, or choose an album if I feel like it or simply use the random feature.

since I, mostly, can only listen to music while taking out the dog for a walk. So, I can listen to the full discography from start to finish
If you’re listening to a full discography that’s a really long walk bro. More like a hike.

Reactions: eochaid
They can do something great if they take it seriously.

DT just put out an album, lackluster despite having two guitar gods. Probably because the keyboardist wrote it all. DT just had bass and drums quit, unfortunately not the keyboardist. But anyway, probably DT won’t record something new for at least another year. Who knows, he could even put them on hiatus and focus on this one with some big tours.

Grand Cadaver
Another group of metal veterans with Mikael Stanne on vocals. Sounds grim and dark. Stanne does NOT turn the song into DT.

this song was released like 6 weeks ago

Very excited about the old IF mini-reunion.

Let's hope they can pull off at least one good album before everything falls apart again.

Reactions: eochaid
I actually have no idea what this will sound like or what kind of metal it'll be. It could just be a limited-edition magazine of promo shots for In Flames fans to reach climax over, with a centerfold of Jesper Stromblad crossing his arms and looking down his nose at you.

I remember people getting hyped over The Resistance because Jesper and Glenn were in it and being like "holy shit Jester Race 2 here we go boys" and there just being general disappointment when the actual music came out.