NEW FEATURE: UP THE IRONS! You've gotta see this one...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
This is surely the best one yet people...a comprehensive overview of the legends themselves....IRON MAIDEN. This one's got heart, you can tell when you read this stuff.

So what have we got for ya...

Intro:
Fucking brilliant animated GIF - shoot The Trooper already!

Reviews:
Iron Maiden
Killers
Maiden Japan
Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Live After Death
Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
No Prayer for the Dying
Fear of the Dark
A Real Live Dead One
The X Factor
Virtual XI
Brave New World
Beast Over Hammersmith
BBC Archives
Best of the B' Sides

Bonus Interview:
The Iron Maidens!! The worlds only all female tribute band...hilarious interview!

And...we were also lucky to have some of our friends in the metal world provide quotes on what Maiden means to them...Cruachan, Evergrey, Power Quest, Steel Prophet, and more!

Go read!!! :headbang:

:Spin:

Excellent feature, containing the amount of reverent detail and in-depth analysis that metal's greatest dynasty deserves...and the testimonials were a great touch, I especially liked the Evergrey and Steel Prophet ones. Up the fuckin' Irons.

neal said:
living in the fucking past.
Isn't KMFDM about 20 years old? Putz. :loco:

Cool, I'm going to have a lot of fun reading through this feature, since I'm such a Maiden newbie. :Spin:

NAD said:
Cool, I'm going to have a lot of fun reading through this feature, since I'm such a Maiden newbie. :Spin:

Hope it's informative - I think we've been pretty exhaustive.

Also, note that we left out some reviews: e.g. Rock in Rio, Ed Hunter etc....there's only so much you can cover....

You might hate compilations, but if you wanted a place to start for Maiden, I would recommend Ed Hunter. It's a great 'best of' in my opinion.

neal said:

Sod off. We don't care about your opinion, poser.

That was a pretty cool interview with The Iron Maidens. Surprised with The X Factor review as well, I was expecting a slagging but the guy who did it seems to think very much along the same lines as me (althougH i think Look For The Truth is a fine song - the riff between the harmony part and the solo is ace). Nice to see 2AM given a nod of approval, and I've now got The Unbeliever stuck in my head :lol: :D

Now I shall see what you think of Eddie's Archive :cool: I shall return...

Ayeka said:
Sod off. We don't care about your opinion, poser.

Oh ignore him, he's always whinging about something or other.

Surprised with The X Factor review as well, I was expecting a slagging but the guy who did it seems to think very much along the same lines as me

That be our Papa Josh. :)

Now I shall see what you think of Eddie's Archive :cool: I shall return...

Yeah let us know. I tried to be as informative as possible for the Best of B' Sides - you know, a quick history behind each song/single. I thought it might make for interesting reading.

I only recently got Eddie's Archive (I normally avoid boxsets and compilations), but the rare stuff is excellent. Donington '88 for example is phenomenal. I wish the BBC would release that entire show one day - I'm sure they filmed it too (with that FANTASTIC icy backdrop they had on stage).

neal said:
yeh umm i was drunk when i posted that last night right before i passed out heh. i saw it on the 'latest post' thing on the main page and felt the need to comment. i didnt need to rain on your parade that you spent a lot of time on and i apologize. "sod off poser" haha yeh sorry, i didnt mean to intrude on your trueness or whatever haha. grow up. only petty children call people poser.
-neal

neal said:
i didnt need to rain on your parade that you spent a lot of time on and i apologize.

Oh we all know you by now neal - your tongue seems to be permanently attached to your inner cheek.

And I also know that you secretly like Virtual XI.:loco:

Papa Josh said:
I am a bit peeved that we don't have Rock In Rio up there... it needs to be added... especially if A REal Live Dead One was included....

I thought someone had that one...

And the Soundhouse Tapes, and the Donington '93 live album...and what about best of's? Ed Hunter, Best of the Beast, Edward the Great, etc...but they offer nothing new, except "Virus" which was mentioned in the B'Sides article...

Oh well, perhaps one day we can include a review for Rock in Rio. It is worthy, I agree. (But I aint doing it).

Good stuff! Although on some of the album ratings I think you guys were a little too generous! :)

Note: I was one of the lucky ones to be at the Live After Death recording sessions at the Long Beach Arena back in 85. I also saw Maiden when they supported UFO (I think it was during the UFO Mechanix tour) around 1981 something that every 15 year old kid should see! :)

warmwetos said:
Good stuff! Although on some of the album ratings I think you guys were a little too generous! :)

Yeah? Like which ones?

Note: I was one of the lucky ones to be at the Live After Death recording sessions at the Long Beach Arena back in 85. I also saw Maiden when they supported UFO (I think it was during the UFO Mechanix tour) around 1981 something that every 15 year old kid should see! :)

Are you kidding me!? Wow, I wonder if the LaD recording is from the night you were there?

I also mentioned the Long Beach arena gig for the 1981 UFO tour in the 'Best of the B Sides' article (for "Doctor Doctor").

Spooky. :tickled:

neal said:
"sod off poser" haha yeh sorry, i didnt mean to intrude on your trueness or whatever haha. grow up. only petty children call people poser.
-neal

Ewwwwwww, uber hardcore old man. Whatever. You'll be drunk because you're so mature and hardcore, so you shouldn't care anway. All the same, take yer bad taste where it's appreciated :p

Yeah let us know. I tried to be as informative as possible for the Best of B' Sides - you know, a quick history behind each song/single. I thought it might make for interesting reading.

I think sometimes you went a little overboard with the song/single histories. I think there were two on there (names evade me right now) where the B-side wasn't actually reviewed at all. I agree that it'll make interesting reading for people new to Maiden (which I feel is who the feature is aimed at mostly anyway :)) but I found I was going through anecdotes I'd heard many times before, and trying to find slithers of commentary for the actual B-side itself.

I noticed for your story about the live Remember Tomorrow...Bruce has claimed that the song was not actually recorded live in Italy. Apparently it's just the music from Maiden Japan which he sang over in the studio. You can check if they sound exactly the same bar the vocals, I haven't because I wanna leave my Maiden Japan safe & sound and I'm not actually all that fussed :p he also said at the end you can hear him and Paul saying "orright, cheers etc" at the same time, because apparenly Paul got picked up by an audience mic so they couldn't wipe it. I only hear Bruce, though, so it could've been him pulling our legs...what do you think?! :D

And the Soundhouse Tapes, and the Donington '93 live album...and what about best of's? Ed Hunter, Best of the Beast, Edward the Great, etc...but they offer nothing new, except "Virus" which was mentioned in the B'Sides article...

I didn't actually notice you'd missed those :erk: so, any plans for an update? :D Wouldn't be any point adding the best ofs, though, unless you want to review the game part of Ed Hunter...