New Nightwish Vocalist is(info from Sonic Cathedral)

There are a lot of talented operatic female singers around, but they mostly sing for Gothic or Ambiance styled bands. What sets Tarja apart is that she can sing Power Metal. Operatic but more importantly: hard and fast.
If Nightwish can't find a singer who can do the same, then they fall back into the ranks of numerous generic female fronted bands as far as I'm concerned.

Amen. They were heading down the generic path *before* Tarja left, and getting a generic sort of female singer at this point would not help at all to reverse that.

Well, I'm still rooting for Colleen! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: Thank you so much, Paul.

Seeing as I haven't heard anything, it's pretty safe to assume it ain't me! No surprise at all, though, since my style is so vastly different. There's alot coming up, so hopefully I'll have some new soundbytes to share very soon.

As for who will be the new NW voice... I have no clue. Vibeke has everything they were looking for, although I would be interested in hearing her more powerful side.

Does anyone else feel like this is crap?

I like Nightwish and Tristania from what I heard is pretty good...but am I the only one who doesn't care that Nightwish is continuing on? Why can't they hire the girl from Tristania and call it a new band?

I'm not sure why she has to live up to Tarja and reinvent herself from a few posts I've seen on here. Nightwish should have died with Tarja and her biotchy ways, therefore, giving birth to a new band.

I think the "NEW" Nightwish is going to sound awsome, but I still find it hard to keep calling them Nightwish when it should be called something different...and they move on...

Does anyone else feel like this is crap?

...but I still find it hard to keep calling them Nightwish when it should be called something different...and they move on...

I disagree. Bands within this genre do it all the time, so we should be use to it by now. Nightwish isn't immune to lineup changes either. I believe this band has the good sense to make a smart decision when it comes to Tarja's replacement. I don't feel like they'll be taking a step backwards. When I first heard about Tarja's departure I was angry and unsure about the band's future. Now, I feel like they're being careful and they'll make the right decision whoever the replacement will be. I'm still going to hope that it's Vibeke. With that said, I believe that it's essential for them to carry on as Nightwish.

~Brian~

I disagree. Bands within this genre do it all the time, so we should be use to it by now. Nightwish isn't immune to lineup changes either. I believe this band has the good sense to make a smart decision when it comes to Tarja's replacement. I don't feel like they'll be taking a step backwards. When I first heard about Tarja's departure I was angry and unsure about the band's future. Now, I feel like they're being careful and they'll make the right decision whoever the replacement will be. I'm still going to hope that it's Vibeke. With that said, I believe that it's essential for them to carry on as Nightwish.

~Brian~

I certainly am not saying it's stepping backwards...no goodness...didn't mean for that to come across like that.

The new stuff will be great...no doubt about that...I just kind of wish they moved on and called it something different. I feel that a vocalist is one of those members that should not be replaced without a new name in place...

for example...VAN HALEN. Love Roth...Love Hagar...two different bands.

Just kind of ranting this morning and I'm sorry for that. Whatever the band does it's going to sound great...that I know.

I certainly am not saying it's stepping backwards...no goodness...didn't mean for that to come across like that.

The new stuff will be great...no doubt about that...I just kind of wish they moved on and called it something different. I feel that a vocalist is one of those members that should not be replaced without a new name in place...

for example...VAN HALEN. Love Roth...Love Hagar...two different bands.

Just kind of ranting this morning and I'm sorry for that. Whatever the band does it's going to sound great...that I know.

I understand what you're saying, but if Nightwish was a band that hadn't broke big, that would be one thing. Nightwish is huge overseas and are gaining ground here in the states. With that said, from a business standpoint, you gotta keep the Nightwish name. :kickass:

~Brian~

I understand what you're saying, but if Nightwish was a band that hadn't broke big, that would be one thing. Nightwish is huge overseas and are gaining ground here in the states. With that said, from a business standpoint, you gotta keep the Nightwish name. :kickass:

~Brian~

Not to mention Nightwish is Tuomas. End of story. Its still his music, regardless of who the frontwoman is, its still going to sound like Nightwish.

Exactly

Just like

Megadeth = Mustaine
Annihilator = Waters
Iced Earth = Schaffer

Those three come to mind. All have gone through MASSIVE lineup changes, as long as the "owner" / main songwriter remains, they can keep the original name imo.

Guns N Roses = Axl also comes to mind, but I dont think that cd will ever come out.

Nightwish is going to rule no matter what they do...I just am not expecting it to be the same as before. I'll basically be looking at it as a new band that play's old Nightwish material...that's just me though.

Not to mention Nightwish is Tuomas. End of story. Its still his music, regardless of who the frontwoman is, its still going to sound like Nightwish.

You beat me to it!

But you're right. NW is Tuomas, not Tarja. Too many fans seem to think that frontman/woman = THE BAND. But that's not always the case.

Now if Tuomas left NW, but Marco, Emppu and Jukka wanted to continue playing together, they'd have to make a new band.

Plus Jukka and Emppu, and Marco, they along with Tuomas are Nightwish, and that will never ever change.

Let me say this: I do not care if the lead vocalist is Colleen Gray, Paris Bennett, William Hung in a miniskirt, or Glenn Harveston wearing an evening gown with a parrot on his head. Tuomas and Company will still kick some serious ass with the new CD. :headbang: :headbang: :Smokin: :Smokin:

E Pluribus, Nightwish!

Peace,
Ray C.