Oldschool Swedm Appreciation Thread

Aug 14, 2008
Dismember, Entombed, Grave, Unleashed, Centinex, At The Gates, Unmoored, Edge Of Sanity, etc. Too much win to possibly comprehend.

In my opinion, those are the bands that the term "Melodic Death Metal" should describe. The Gothenburg sound really isn't death metal to my ears. Not that that's a good or bad thing (or an important thing).

They all kick ass. Few can maintain such an even ratio of balls:melody while increasing both like them.

Though I can't add them to the list because they aren't old, but I have to mention Kaamos because they sound like they are. Very atmospheric for a death metal band, and also very catchy while simultaneously retaining that old school-style heaviness (as opposed to more modern chaotic blastbeat brutality, which I tend not to like as much). I haven't heard their second album, Lucifer Rising so I can't vouch for that one, but their self-titled debut is great. Unfortunately I never ripped it to my computer and lost the CD, and have only managed to track down half of the tracks online.

I have been forced to stop listening to KMFDM and put on Dismember thanks to this thread.

In my opinion, those are the bands that the term "Melodic Death Metal" should describe. The Gothenburg sound really isn't death metal to my ears. Not that that's a good or bad thing (or an important thing).

They all kick ass. Few can maintain such an even ratio of balls:melody while increasing both like them.

Though I can't add them to the list because they aren't old, but I have to mention Kaamos because they sound like they are. Very atmospheric for a death metal band, and also very catchy while simultaneously retaining that old school-style heaviness (as opposed to more modern chaotic blastbeat brutality, which I tend not to like as much). I haven't heard their second album, Lucifer Rising so I can't vouch for that one, but their self-titled debut is great. Unfortunately I never ripped it to my computer and lost the CD, and have only managed to track down half of the tracks online.

I have been forced to stop listening to KMFDM and put on Dismember thanks to this thread.

Well no. I never understood the death metal + melody = melodeath argument. Dragon + fly =/= dragonfly, sea + horse =/= seahorse etc... Just cause these bands inject some melody into their stuff doesn't mean they are melodeath. Anyways that's my opinion haha. I don't even call Carcass melodeath, I never got why people did. I've even heard people refer to later Vital Remains and even Death as melodeath which always makes me chuckle. To me, melodeath is specifically reserved for that Gothenburg sound (Dissection, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, "Slaughter" era At The Gates). But I'm glad I convinced you to listen to Dismember :).

Personally, what gives me the biggest hardon about oldschool Swedm is that buzzsaw guitar sound. Listening to Clandestine and then going to a Scott Burns album like Effigy Of The Forgotten I can't help but laugh. I don't understand how anyone ever thought Scott Burns was a good producer... he ruined so many classic albums haha.

That buzzsaw sound is amazing

This thread made me go back and listen to Edge of Sanity

Listen to the song "Darkday" from the Spectral Sorrows album and tell me that riff isn't just amazing. Dan said he hates the snare on that album but I LOVE it. It sounds so raw. Probably one of my favorite songs right now.

That famous Gibson guitar & Boss HM-2 pedal sound is awesome. The songs are just as awesome as the sound. Hell, I still jam all of these bands. Entombed's first two albums fucking rip. Dismember *still* crank out badass Maiden sounding stuff, I love them.

But yeah, I think these bands just aren't melodic enough to be considered melodic death, but not brutal enough to be considered brutal death metal. They're just old school swedish death metal I guess. I'd probably say bands like Autumn Leaves, Without Grief, Ebony Tears and Gardenian are shining examples of melodic death metal. All are disbanded though.

@AeonicSlumber - I'm not trying to suggest that the "Stockholm sound" IS melodeath, but that it is death metal that happens to be melodic, while there is a genre called "melodic death metal," which is not actually death metal at all, in my opinion, which I find ironic.

And while I stand by my point, I have no idea why I even brought it up.

Oh well. Opinions are like assholes. :lol:

I like melodeath too, but yeah gimmie more Stockholm bands plzkthx. :D

NOW IS THE TIME
GET ON THE RIGHT SIDE
YOU'LL BE GODLIKE

godlike.gif

now you've made me listen to KMFDM! the universe is in balance

Nice.

@froosch you're right. I'm pretty sure that the term "Death Metal" comes from intentionally relentless, no-melody, soul bludgeoning metal of death. Death Metal. Though, I think a lot of words that humanity in general has agreed upon are torn between what a band plays and what most people want, along with everything "close" to it, to be called. I certainly don't want to keep up with every new word for every different style. But the seemingly limitless amounts of creativity out there kind of negates a single word. (Besides just Metal, I suppose) But I do agree because you're right. Melodeath isn't at all true to why Death Metal is called what it is. I've just always been under the impression that it's just close enough and there's nothing else to really call it other than what its' closest to.

but if it's awesome, I don't care what it's called!

well here are a few of their videos, youtube sound quality kinda sucks tho :erk:

A Drug Against War (in case you miss the numerous reminders haha)

Megalomaniac (there is guitar there somewhere, jewtube just doesnt want you to hear it)

D.I.Y. (not a real video, i just really like this song)

the videos make more sense the more you know about KMFDM and their humor, artwork, endless self-reference etc, but that should give you a lofi idea of what they sound like: ultra heavy beat, industrial rock guitars (older stuff has more solos), distorted vocals, and plenty of keyboards/loops/effects. its hard to recommend a specific album becuase they have so goddamn many and i like most of them a lot, 1993-2003 being all excellent, with Xtort, 'symbols', Adios, and Attak my favorites. and then of course there's the MDFMK project....

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, glad you like em! as i said, they peaked mid-late 90s so start there and work forward and backward. they're a bit of an anomaly in my collection, but definitely one of my favorite bands.