Reason 9 is coming

Smallstep

Mar 5, 2016
Well well well, can't say I'm not excited by the new little devices. It's not because we can play instruments that we cannot enjoy candy tools, right ? And the "audio to midi" ... man. Fuck. YES! That's what I've been waiting for. I'm going to upgrade from 7. Other users here ?

I really don't like the trend of letting the sequencer/DAW invent melodylines or grooves. Even if my drum programming skills are pitiful, it is at least MY creativity flowing into it. I find this much more satisfying than just choosing a bunch of pre-programmed grooves for the sake of sounding "professional". Same with melodies... letting the DAW compose the music or backing tracks... it's fascinating what software can do nowadays, yes, but it has nothing to do with creativity and I don't like that approach.

What I don't understand... all those software companies claiming to "make playing fun", "enhance creativity" or "stimulate inspiration"... I think they really are doing the exact opposite.

Last edited:
"[...] it has nothing to do with creativity [...]" I cannot agree ! But, to each his vision...
You never played with Reason, am I right ? :) The DAW won't compose music for you, you still need a strong artistic vision, IMO...

Well, I watched the video you posted above and it is full of this "press one key and the software is doing the rest for you" stuff. Yes, sometimes this can be helpful and interesting, but if you take a closer look those software tools just reduce and restrict creativity and diversity. Many users (admittably not everyone) don't even care anymore about putting real effort in their melodies and grooves, they just glue pre-recorded drum loops together, then scroll through infinite libraries of guitar and bass loops. Well, okay, most members of this forum at least create and play their own guitar riffs.

Sure, it's all about what amount of tools and helpers a musician uses. And I have nothing against a little cheating here and there ;-) But I'm talking about a trend. Because many, many people don't even perceive it as cheating anymore. It gets more and more normal that the sofware does all the creative work for you. And I don't like where this is going.

That's their problem (lazy users) but personally, I love new tools. I don't think the software makes music for you, or at least, if you get chords from a single key, you still need to be creative and passionate. I agree for the loops tho, and I've never used them. But like, the new echo pluging they announced, changing the notes of your delays, that's totally what I'm there for, and things like that.

And the audio-to-midi. I can't wait to score with a guit, cannot wait :rofl: