removing snare from overheads?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
ok i know the high pass 600hz on down...

But when i slide all my snare hits into time there is some hits that sound like double hits now cause of overheads snare being a bit off. I wish i could get drummer to replay perfect but i don't have that option right now. Are guitars and stuff gonna bury it or if i bring my cymbals/overheads up you will still hear that dam snare?

Also any other tricks to get rid of that snare in my overheads??:erk:

they vary from barley off at all to being pretty noticeable when snare hit is slid to were it should be. I don't know the ms exactly sorry:erk:

Now I'm confused what does the limiter do on overheads to cut snare out?? and also how do i trigger it??

I'm confused as to how when you move an entire track to sync one hit up, the throws others off? Unless you're moving two different recordings (1 take of snare and 1 of OH) together, that's sounding impossible to my ears.

im not moving overhead tracks or changing them:erk:

Im slicing all the snare hits into idivdual hits and sliding each hit into perfect time (becuse some are a bit off)

Now when i slide eack snare hit into time, some of the hits are so far off that it not on time with snare in overheads and it sounds funny when played back!! So i wanna try and kill snare in overheads so i can just use snare track which now is in perfect time.

Hope this clears things up a bit.......

how do you edit overhead tracks or like what would you be doing to it exactly???

drums are new to me so sorry if this is a dumb question

i don't like using a sidechain controlled limiter on OH, that just sounds not natural at all.
you can get rid of SOME snare in the OH with a compressor with attack VERY fast and release about 20ms ratio like 10:1.. that way you might get like 5-6dB of snare reduction on the OH without affecting the cymbals too much...
but all that won't save you, you can't just slide the snare without editing all the other tracks.
have a look at this fred:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/272891-real-drum-editing.html

Andy once told me to try and duck it with a limiter. It works good if you don't run into other things.

im not moving overhead tracks or changing them:erk:

Im slicing all the snare hits into idivdual hits and sliding each hit into perfect time (becuse some are a bit off)

Now when i slide eack snare hit into time, some of the hits are so far off that it not on time with snare in overheads and it sounds funny when played back!! So i wanna try and kill snare in overheads so i can just use snare track which now is in perfect time.

Hope this clears things up a bit.......

Ah so it wasn't a very good performance and you're trying to manually quantize the snare hits to the click track.

Honestly - just retrack it.

im actually sampling all the drums exept the overheads so i dont think phase is really a huge issue i just wanna kill snare in overheads as much as possible.

So nobody ever fixes snare tracks to line up perfect to bars?? So what do they do to kill overhead snare if its a bit off or does everyone track everything exactly perfect or so close it don't matter??

I mean the performance is not that off but its noticable a bit in spots when snare is lined up on bars and im not actually capable of retracking it right now either which sucks:erk:

what are you using for your DAW?

the studio that i am at has a room with sonar 6 and I must say that editing an entire song to tempo is easy as pie. If Sonar is your current DAW let me know and I can help you out further with how to move everytrack at once using audio snap. If I have to do editing for drum timing and I wasn't the one who tracked the band and can't get the band back in the studio to retrack, I can usually knock out an entire song in an hour or so with as perfect timing as I feel still sounds like a human playing.

Another option would be to set up Melodyne to have the different tracks tied to a custom tempo map.

So nobody ever fixes snare tracks to line up perfect to bars?? So what do they do to kill overhead snare if its a bit off or does everyone track everything exactly perfect or so close it don't matter??

if the snare is off with the hats/cymbals, then retrack.

if you cant retrack, then try ducking the snare using the sidechain that we suggested earlier. you'll lose a lot, but if you can't retrack then what else are you going to do?

I run protools....

Ok i think i asked a few times but how do i duck a track using limiter or whatever?? What plugins do i need and how do i set up.

I know it has to obviously be ran from snare track and every time snare hits it sets something to trigger the limiter or whatever to duck but I'm lost on what to use and how to use it.

So when everyone edits drums will they leave some snare hits a bit off instead of moving them into perfect time cause it almost seems like it can kill the whole human playing vibe when its like dead nuts perfect. Cause our drummer will do like snare snaps maybe called ghost notes I'm not sure but hits snare twice like a little snap afterwords and if you mess with it trying to slide into time somewhat it like kills the vibe:loco:

I also use sidechain limiting or compression if it's needed. It works well imo.

In PT : insert the limiter into the oh track and select the sidechain track/bus from the "side chain" menu button (snare track/bus). Then remember to activate it (the key button). Use quick attack and set the release so that it sounds as natural as possible. When you listen to the oh track as solo, remember also to set the sidechain track on solo.