Right Hand speed techniques

Chapolin

New Metal Member
Mar 30, 2002
RS
Visit site
hi everyne...i created this thread to us (bassists) who play whit fingers, and play the 3 finger stile (321123). feel free to post here your progress, and experiences whits this stile...i was playing this stile about a little time but i'm going so well...my right Hand is growing in speed everyday...

Hey that's great!! And I'm improving the 3-2-1-2-1 and 3-2-1-2-3 techniques, not really fast, 'cause I do not have time for practicing every day, but that seems to be getting better...

The 3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1 (gallop) technique I have always had, do not ask me how, but within 1 month after I started playng bass, I was damn good at that stuff..

I think that was a typo when he mentioned the 321123.... its much more practical to use 32123212 because it gives groups of 4 notes... as for 321321, thats useful for galloping and playing triplets.

Originally posted by Nevermorian
Makes sense, but I don't have a problem playing 16th notes with this 321321-system. It Works for me (and there is no triplet feeling within these 16th notes!)

Hey!!! How did you practice for that?? My 321321 always sounds like triplets!!!

well, with the 321321, you CAN make them 16th notes, but theres more potential to go faster with 32123 and after alot of practice, its easier to go from string to string then with 321321.

>Hey!!! How did you practice for that?? My 321321 always sounds like triplets!!!

I guess I had the same problem like you; "These f**** 16th sound like triplets!!!" Then I tried to get more feeling to my Ringfinger. It's hard to describe since english is not my language. You just have to try to use your ring finger the same like you use your index/middle finger, so that the whole movement is about the same. And don't use to much strength, keep it smooth :zzz:

>well, with the 321321, you CAN make them 16th notes, but theres more potential to go faster with >32123 and after alot of practice, its easier to go from string to string then with 321321.

I think that this may vary from Bassist to Bassist :)

I think I've seen this on the old forum...

It looks like Tyr (from Emperor, Borknagar) uses that "not-triplets-321-technique"...

Could you tell us about it Tyr???

Yeah, sure, he does 3 fingers almost all of the time, even in the slower parts... I do not like (to be honest, I think I do not need) to use 3 fingers all of the time, I just put my 2nd and 3rd fingers when they are really necessary, for example, that Spirit Crusher intro I play with 1 finger going down and up all the time... And also the verse parts, 1 finger only... But in the bridge I do use 3 fingers for that gallops there...

But going back to Myung, I do not like his style.. He's so "quiet", as someone else here said before... And those distorted solos are pretty "ugly" I think... But he is good, no doubt, I do not like only his sound, his technique is great surely.

By the way, what is your language??

John Myung's sound:

Well, I like his standard Bass sound, but this distortion shit is really annyoing (especially for tapping, ugh! You just here someting like flshsshshshshhhhhshshshshss...)

:wave: <--- Ha! This one is quite funny! :lol:

Yeah, his 'standard' sound is almost OK to me too... That's too "quiet", hahahahaha

Because this you can see I love Geezer Butler's, Steve Harris' and Steve DiGiorgio's sound, and I think the bass is too low on "The Gathering", heheheheh...

The sound on the live bootleg for that tour (Gathering) is exceptional, I've never heard such a bass sound, that's too loud, but you can also hear the guitars perfectly... That's a really great sound. They could release a live album for that Dynamo 2K show, so the quality would be much better than the bootleg.

By the way (I think it's the 666th time I'm writing this here, but...), do someone have the video for that show, except that videos that were on the site? :D :D :D :D :D :D

What I do is to add accents to it , i.e hit the note(s) in question slightly harder than the others:

ex.1.:
accent on the 1st's

(3)-2-1-3-(2)-1-3-2-(1)-3-2-1-(3)-2-1-3

ex.2.:
accent on the 1st's and 4th's

(3)-2-1-(3)-(2)-1-3-(2)-(1)-3-2-(1)-(3)-2-1-(3)

ex.3.:
accent on the 1st's and 3rd's

(3)-2-(1)-3-(2)-1-(3)-2-(1)-3-(2)-1-(3)-2-(1)-3

Tyr

Originally posted by Tyr
What I do is to add accents to it , i.e hit the note(s) in question slightly harder than the others:

Tyr

Hey Tyr!

Thanks for the answer!!

I really liked the way you do it, I am gonna try it...

this comed to my mind about spirit crusher, i love playing "bite
the pain" the song kicks ass (specially the "assume" part) and
it´s not boring to play that song (exept the intro) because the
riffs allways change and it´s not so difficult to play but not to easy

By the way, how do you guys play Spirit Crusher intro??

Here's how I play, it's pretty close...

F-----------------------------------------
C-----4---------------4---------5-----------
G---2-----4---3----2----4---3----3----------------
D-0-----2---1----0----2---1---------------------

Repeat...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

F-----------------------------------------------------------------------
C---------4---------------------------4---------------1---------------
G-----2-----------2-----2--------2---------2-----2------2------------
D--0----------3------2-------0----------3-----2---------------------

Thats how I play it, but I'm not too sure about that 1 on the C string...

<edit> - ugh, its hard to draw tabs in message boards...