Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
20 Questions with SET ABLAZE's Joe

Who are you and what do you do?
Joe Boccuto. I play bass for SET ABLAZE

Where's the band from?
All around the Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania, USA

Who're your major influences?
Musically I like anything w/ feeling. Lately I've been listening to a lot of THE RED CHORD, IN THY DREAMS, and CREATION IS CRUCIFIXION. I don't know if I'd call them influences, but they are all sick.

What's your local scene like?
Violent, strong I guess.....

How can people hear your music?
They can come to our shows, we play out a lot. They can download our MP3's at www.mp3.com/setablaze They can order our CD through our site, maybe audiogalaxy or something else like that? I don't know if we're on there my computer is too much of a piece of shit to download songs.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?
We've already played with so many of my favorite bands, but I would love to play with SOILWORK, MESHUGGAH, and of course SLAYER. \m/

What's your best gig memory?
When we played in West Virginia, none of the people there had ever heard us before but they all went nuts for us, they were singing along even though they didn't know the words. There was a line of kids headbanging in unison. I hit some dumb girl with my bass by accident and then ended up kicking her in the stomach later when I was dancing for Bloodjinn. I don't beat girls or anything but it was pretty funny. We sold a ton of merch that night but our van broke down the next day so we had to spend all of our money. I spent the whole day hung over and throwing up.

What's your worst?
Dave can answer this one. We also played a really bad show in Birdsboro PA where everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Broken strings, broken equipment, kids in the crowd fighting during our set. Set getting cut short, etc.

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?
I'm not quite sure I know what this means... but people like to call us "the hot shit" hahaha

What are you plans for the future?
Record. Tour. Promote. Repeat.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?
The Day Everyone Died, The Irony of God, When Honesty Outweighs Desire, Kimbel

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal, providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?
Is that the sign for pounds? How much is 10 Million pounds in US Dollars? I'd kick out Dave because he just stinks the place up being Mexican and shit. Not really. I wouldn't be able to ditch one of my friends for money, unfortunately I have a conscience.

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?
ÆNIMA by Tool because it's amazing musically, lyrically, they prove that less can be more, the music compliments the mood of the lyrics so perfectly, and Maynard has such a beautiful voice.

What was the main reason you became a musician?
I'm too ugly to be a model, I can't act, and I don't want a job. That and I was raised in a musical family and I love music. It is my life.

How would you like to be remembered?
A good musician, an asshole.

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!
*throws up sign of the hammer* haha KINGS OF METAL.

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?
CBGB's I guess but I already played there too and was kinda disappointed, but at least I can die saying I played there. I'd like to play the Trocadero in Philly I guess...

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are shit?
Into-Obscurity.com is a great source for all metal news... deadtide.com is pretty decent. SOD is a damn good print zine, as well as Metalcore zine by Chris Forbes. digitalmetal.com is pretty nice as well. And of course UM.

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?
We bring the mosh, we put on a crazy live show, and we play from the heart. We don't try to be gory or political or religious or anything like that. We play what we feel and sing about things close to us, that is what really brings the energy out in me when we play, it's all real.

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?
Listen to us. Go to our website http://setablaze.cjb.net Sign our
guestbook. Book us in your town. Listen to Arson, A Life Once Lost, Four Second Fuse, With Immortality, The Red Chord, David Is Burning, Fall From Heaven, Dead and Buried. All those bands are amazing.