Set Ablaze - Dave

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
20 Questions with SET ABLAZE's Save (aka Sancho)

Who are you and what do you do?
I'm dave (also known as Sancho) and i play guitar. word up.

Where's the band from?
Set ablaze is from Bucks County.

Who're your major influences?
Soilwork, In Flames, Converge, Lamb of God, Deeds of Flesh, God Forbid

What's your local scene like?
Our local scene is pretty good - well, it was better when there were more venues open. But due to some people destroying certain venues, a lot of them have gotten shut down. But the Philadelphia area is filled with good bands and even more bands that are just starting out that are real good as well.

How can people hear your music?
With their ears. haha. http://www.mp3.com/setablaze. or they can come to a show and check us out. or they can buy a cd. or even more than one if they want.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?
Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Manowar.

What's your best gig memory?
One of my favorite shows was when we played in Lancaster with Thursday, SkyCameFalling, and Christiana. We were supposed to play at some Club and the original lineup was Hollowd, Set Ablaze, Fairweather, Thursday, and Skycamefalling. Well, the owner of the club never showed up to open the place up and Fairweather had van troubles and got stuck in North Carolina.
So the kid putting the show on called some house, The Christiana House (home to the band, Christiana) and asked them if they would put the show on. Well, they agreed, and it was about a 20 minute drive. Hollowd decided to be stupid and decided to not drive an extra 20 minutes for a show. We went and played in this tiny basement, where they packed in a ton of people. I mean, I bet this shit was illegal having this many people in there. But it was great because of the whole enviroment, a good old basement show.

That, and the Pig Destroyer/Circle of Dead Children/Red Chord show we played, because Pig Destroyer is one of my favorite bands.

What's your worst?
Just recently we played at this bar, The Speak EZ cafe. It was a 21+ show and we played with 2 nu-metal bands. Well the first band played about 30-40 minutes worth. Then when we went up to play, during our second song, the guy told us that we had 10 minutes left. So our set was about 15 minutes long, if that. The next band came on, and they played about 40 minutes worth too.
It was just a complete dick move by the owner of the bar, it had nothing to do with the guy who put us on the show.

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?
I'd have to say hot, because I mean come on, look at the factors here. Set Ablaze = fire, hot. 2 hispanic guitar players = latino heat. Plus, when I think "cold music" I think of fish. Or just really dark, ambient type music. We got the fire like ayyahh, like Mystikal would say.

What are you plans for the future?
A lot of touring, recording, writing new material, and being fucking cool.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?
Any of the 6 songs that we'll be recording for our new Cd EP. Excpet for maybe the song "In The Beginning." Otherwise, the other 5 songs show where we're at in our current status of musicianship.

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal, providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?
I honestly don't think anyone of us is really expendable because we all do something in the band. So I guess we'd make the label think that we have a 6th member, like a DJ or something stupid like that, then we'd all say "Oh yeah, we're kicking out the DJ." Then it would work out.

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?
That's a tough question. One of my favorite albums (notice the "S" for plural) is Cave In's "Until Your Heart Stops." It just runs through so many different emotions and everything on the album is just simply amazing if you ask me.

What was the main reason you became a musician?
I wanted to be in a band, pretty much. I just remember seeing Jimi Hendrix and all that stuff when I was younger and wanting to play guitar because it just seemed fucking cool at the time. Plus, it was a chick magnet, or at least I thought it was. I was proved wrong about the chick magnet thing, but I've just grown to love playing guitar. It's just a whole outlet for me.

How would you like to be remembered?
As Sancho. Are you Sancho? No, I am Sancho. Being in a hella good band.

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!
I would be saying "Other bands play....Manowar kills." but you're asking for one word. So to sum it up: METAL.

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?
Argentina, because it's a big part of my descent.

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are shit?
I don't really pay attention to magazines anymore unless they have to do with photography, computers, graphic design, or skateboarding.

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?
1. Metal.
2. Our breakdowns kill.
3. We will make you go crazy, live and on cd.

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?
Thanks to anyone who's ever supported us in any way, shape, or form. We really appreciate it.

Set Ablaze is awesome!!! I only heard a portion on one of there songs and it's the shit. Death all the way!!! Look for a review on http://www.slawdawg.com coming soon!!!!

dawg...