Short news from Ken Owen

Barghest

Death Metal Encyclopedist
Jul 10, 2002
Moscow, Russia
www.firebirdhome.co.uk
I've just received a short message from Ken on his activities, will ask him some questions and will post them here or through www.firebirdhome.com

"... I have set up my midi techno studio just waiting for my friend to come and wire it up for me. I have also found a rehearsal studio to set my drums up in. Just need my other friend to help me put them together."

What I have in mind is that, Ken has meant that this guy should help him to move drum to this rehearsal place. Otherwise it sounds too confusive to me as well, I never expected Ken to return to drumming so fast, as far as he walks with walking frame or using wheelchair, but who knows.

Originally posted by union9
Fuck man....What happened to ken?I didn't hear.It sounds like it was serious.

Ken suffered brain haemorrhage in February 1999. He even has spent some time in coma. Since then Ken has been recovering. There are some negative consequences on his health as I'm aware. First is memory failures, so he doesn't have solid memories of his past - some things he remembers well, some doesn't remember at all, and his memory hasn't recovered since, I guess the problem is the same with his current activities - some memories remain, some are gone. Also he has some problems with limbs, I don't know if it's about overall weakness or just about legs as he uses walking frame and wheelchair from time to time, besides he gets easily tired from any activity.

So now he lives in some village near Nottingham at his parents' place. His main activities are some after-illness treatment - hydrotherapy I believe, massage, etc. And also Ken's interested in doing electronic music. But as you could have read above, he has intentions to have some slight come-back to drumming, I don't know how serious this come-back could be, considering his health condition, but time'll tell...

It is completely horrible that this happened to the guy...he was one of my favorite drummers, too. Back when death metal and grind could actually have some sense of songwriting and style beyond cold repetitive technicality. Carcass is one of those bands that just can't be touched. Ken was one of the last ORGANIC sounding drummers, and he actually played BEATS! =O

-Eric

I hope he gets better soon. Though there will probably never be a Carcass reunion (which is a good thing), I think it would be cool to hear him in another band or project in the future.