The swift solution crumbles beneath the mock notes of a masterpiece
Death in his eyes
Waiting
Spiralling judgement, provoked in the rains

This futile test drowned in the levee of deception

In the year of his sovereign
Rid us of your judgement
Heir apparent

I hypothesize that this song is about, or at least widely influenced, by United States President George W. Bush. In b4 :erk: & "ur overanalyzing"

An Heir Apparent is an assumed successor to the throne by bloodline. Kings and princes and such. Bush's father, George H. W. Bush preceded him (with Bill Clinton in between) - the next time after Clinton that the republicans had a strong, popular candidate was during Bush Jr.'s campaign - he was the heir apparent to the office.

"So many years to clean the slate" may refer to Bush's 8 years of opportunity to right his wrongs - or, from his perspective, wipe clean the slate of his family's mistakes (he believed that Bush Sr. should have invaded Iraq).

Just a note: well over half of the song is an abstraction, like most of Opeth's stuff. I'm saying that it might be referencing Dubya.

Next:
"And again he rides in, it's September and he covets the gullible"

September 11th, 2001. Bush rides in and stands on the rubble and sells a war against terror to the citizens, coveting the gullible who later approve of the war in Iraq, which leads to the deaths of hundreds of thousands civilians and millions displaced, and over 4,000 US troops (as of late). A "skeletal" wish.

As for the "slow pain, slow deaths" bit, it reminds me of the slow suicide of humans at large with our treatment of the environment and all that.

"Spiralling judgement, provoked in the rains/This futile test drowned in the levee of deception"

Another widely recognized disaster: the Hurricane Katrina crisis in Louisiana, when the levees broke. Note the imagery of drowning and rain.

Last verse: his term is ending, rid us of him, the heir apparent.

So maybe it's a stretch, but I completely see it there. Thoughts?

At first I was thinking, "No, sry." but like the other guys said, I think it's possible. However, I personally believe it's about someone in Mike's family. The other songs fit with the family / friend theme too.

could be true, but i've never heard mikael express any views on politics in any interview, has anyone else?
he also said the album lyrics were 'personal,' i don't know how george bush would be personal to mikael seeing as he lives in sweden.

could be true, but i've never heard mikael express any views on politics in any interview, has anyone else?
he also said the album lyrics were 'personal,' i don't know how george bush would be personal to mikael seeing as he lives in sweden.

He's never expressed any views on politics in any interview before, ever.

So would you say, then, that they're... what's the word...

'personal'?

Whether it's the way you put it or not: Heir Apparent's lyrics are one of the most "dark" and pessimistic things ever to come out of Opeth. It's incredible.

i don't know how george bush would be personal to mikael seeing as he lives in sweden.

Political views are personal. And whether you're in the US or not, George Bush's actions have affected us all personally, though some may not be aware of it. I'm all the way out in New Zealand and I certainly take what that prick has done to our world personally.

Whether it's the way you put it or not: Heir Apparent's lyrics are one of the most "dark" and pessimistic things ever to come out of Opeth. It's incredible.

I wouldn't say pessimistic at all, dark definitely, but having a go at the way things are instead of bowing down to the reality you've been served is quite the opposite. "In the year of his sovereign/rid us of your judgement"

Expressing a desire for an inevitable change, a change for the better - I'd call that optimism.

Btw, Illidan - kudos on the observation.

I just listened to the song reading the lyrics along and... holy fuck. It makes a huge, ENORMOUS SENSE! It's unbelievably great. So evil and dark. Goddamn, I'm kinda struck now... whoa...

By the way. I think the missing lines are

Through days
Through waste
Through lies
Through hate

Through days
Through death

And I have no idea about word after "vehicle to". Maybe some "vehicle to his..."

Why can't the Bush thing (hee hee "bush thing") be personal to Mikael because he lives in Sweden? Uh, American politics has quite an impact on Europe, and the way Bush seems to be wanting the world to go to hell ... his war on terror, terror's war on the western world, it affects us all, dammit.

And good job, OP, I agree with you that "Heir Apparent" seems to be about bush... mmmm

1. "political lyrics are crap" lol --> lennon, dylan

2. in this case i really do not think that the lyrics are in any way political. mike has clearly stated that the lyrics are very personal. Moreover: there is no sense in not publishing political lyrics. when you write political lyrics you want people to read the lyrics, think about it and have some influence on their thinking. you want to have some influence, otherwise there is no sense in writing political lyrics. in this case the lyrics would have been published in the booklet.

müsli;7310622 said:
1. "political lyrics are crap" lol --> lennon, dylan

Political lyrics are crap and so are Lennon and Dylan. But there are good bands/artists that have political lyrics.

Eh, that makes sense, but why would the Swedish Opeth write about American politics?

I'm pretty sure the album is a concept album about a death in the family. Or at least it has a recurring theme about that.

"I'm pretty sure the album is a concept album about a death in the family. Or at least it has a recurring theme about that."

this is a good guess! i think you are right, but i still have a hard time connecting the pieces.

It does fit. But on the other hand, a lot of things fit if you want them to. We Are The Champions can be made into a gay anthem if you want to read it that way. Freddie says it was about football :p It's a very interesting interpretation of HA, though. I wouldn't be too surprised if it did turn out to be correct.