Stairway to Heaven

Oct 8, 2005
First of all, I know there are probably countless threads about this on the internets, but who cares. I'm curious to find out what Opeth board members think the song is about, because I can't figure it out. I've read different interpretations, including one that said that it's a Christian song (first link that pops up on google when you search "stairway to heaven meaning")

Also, what are your thoughts on the song? I know there's many who think it's overrated. I'm not one of those. It's absolutely amazing, from beginning to end, even 30+ years after it was released.

I dunno, I think it doesn't have a real meaning. I remember a Led Zeppelin member (don't recall who) saying that even the guys in the band didn't know what the song was about.

Yea I don't think it has some deep meaning, the lyrics too me pretty much look like the result of any ole group of guys just trying to write a catchy ballad.

i thought it was pretty well known that the lyrics are nonsensical, plant just made up whatever shit sounded mystical and epic

I always thought it was about class differences, mixed with some acid visions.

my favourite song to go nuts with the guitar and vocals with.

EDIT: ... when drunk..

I think it was just something to make metal/rock look bad.. psychologists said that anyone who listen to it backwards won't notice that there is a message unless they are already prompt.

^ ever heard anything by any pop artist?

it deserves the rating, it's pretty much flawless when you think of it.

^ ever heard anything by any pop artist?

Lots and lots of things from a broad range of pop, rock, jazz and metal artists in a few languages.

it deserves the rating,

No. It isn't even the best LZ song. It's a nice song and all, but not "the bestestest song EVAH!!1!!1!!1one!" reputation it has.

it's pretty much flawless when you think of it.

I don't care how "flawless" it is. It still isn't the bestestest song EVAH!11!!11oneandonetyone. I don't know what song I would take to a desert island given the choice of only one, but I know damn well that it isn't Stairway to Heaven. (Or Hotel California, another massively overrated track).

well well. I don't like Metallica. so they are obviously overrated.

same thing goes for Mastodon and all black metal then.. overrated crap..

well well. I don't like Metallica. so they are obviously overrated.

same thing goes for Mastodon and all black metal then.. overrated crap..

No, you're missing the point. I don't think Stairway to Heaven is a bad song. I like Stairway to Heaven. It's a good song. However, I do not think it is the best rock song ever recorded. Therefore, since that's the hype the song gets, I think it's overrated. See? It's easy.

i thought it was pretty well known that the lyrics are nonsensical, plant just made up whatever shit sounded mystical and epic
Sort of what you do when you post, eh! And yeh, I completely agree with that "Hotel California" opinion. If I hear that song one more time, I will go into a ballistic bout of rage.