Swansong... misconceptions...

Originally posted by dimensionidol
heartwork is a masterpiece carcass album!

swan song is not a carcass album it sound too much different and weak !

medical titles or not!

:cool:

True enough...it's more like the best album that "blackstar" ever wrote! Bill Steer was no longer into carcass when swansong came out. Shitty carcass...maybe. But swansong would've have been a better debut if they were called "blackstar". And then we could bitch about how shitty that album was from the first one etc.

Basically, bill was carcass. The band went to the wayside when he was no longer into it.

Originally posted by Carcass
I refer to my previous statement. No one likes Swansong for some reason or another. I liked it. The only thing it lacked was really long song titles composed of medical terms. And I'm not comparing it to any other Carcass release, for good reason. It was different, and I liked it. :)

I thought it was a good album, just not a good Carcass album if that makes any sense. I probably would have liked it more if it wasn't a Carcass album, let alone their last album ever.

Hmmm...I liked certain songs from SwanSong. I admit its not what you think of when you say "Carcass", but its what the band became. They were never one to do what anyone but they themselves wanted to do. I don't see it as bad musically, and statements made like "It sucked balls" and "Its just weak" lack the analytical depth to really sway my opinion hahaha. Necroticism is my favorite Carcass album, with Heartwork close behind...actually hell I can't even choose between them, and I am the biggest fan of Reek and Symphonies. Heartwork was way ahead of its time, introducing maiden influenced riffing with the style of music you already knew from the band, but with a tighter, more mature songwriting style. If a classic metal song like Heartwork is weak to you simply because it wasn't a rehash of Inpropagation, you might want to lay off the pot...damn hippies :)

Schuldiner loved the weed....

And I don't feel I need to be analytical when analyzing Swansong. It sucked. Period. End of story. I don't feel the need to elaborate and waste anyone's time. Everyone knows Bill Steer was basically going thru the motions at this time, and if that's what they "became," then I'm really sorry for them. They WERE one of the greats, now they just were.

I actually think Swansong is a great album! However, i understand that it was too much of a change in style for some fans. It was more death 'n roll with fat megadeth style riffage. This does not mean it was shit at all though, just different. I also love that blackstar album - total rock n roll. Fantastic stuff and i still listen to that album loads! Some of you people should try to understand that if someting isn't to your taste then it isn't neccessarily shit. Swansong and blackstar rock just like early carcass but in very different ways. There are only so many songs you can base on a medical book.

Originally posted by apex nemesis
I actually think Swansong is a great album! However, i understand that it was too much of a change in style for some fans. It was more death 'n roll with fat megadeth style riffage. This does not mean it was shit at all though, just different. I also love that blackstar album - total rock n roll. Fantastic stuff and i still listen to that album loads! Some of you people should try to understand that if someting isn't to your taste then it isn't neccessarily shit. Swansong and blackstar rock just like early carcass but in very different ways. There are only so many songs you can base on a medical book.

I refuse to believe that... there are plenty of songs to be written still... Besides, you can change lyrical content w/o affecting the music, but in their case, they did not. And their music sucks more for it. And Blackstar? C'mon, what a joke! I don't need to "understand" anything. Like you, I have opinions about the music I listen to.

SWANSONG IS SHIT, pure and simple. :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that your music taste is very limited and i'm entitled to that opinion. I can understand Carcass fans not being able to handle 'swansong' being under the carcass banner but it is still a great album. Maybe they should have changed the name of the band.

As for Blackstar - they did the right thing and changed the name along with the change in direction. If you don't think of it as ex-carcass and listen to it with an open mind then that album totally rocks. It even has a saxophone solo on it!

If you are only into purely necro style death metal then you obviously will hate it. Does not mean it is shit though. You are entitled to label things as being 'shit' but i think that is childish and offensive to people who like it.

Originally posted by apex nemesis
You are entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that your music taste is very limited and i'm entitled to that opinion. I can understand Carcass fans not being able to handle 'swansong' being under the carcass banner but it is still a great album. Maybe they should have changed the name of the band.

As for Blackstar - they did the right thing and changed the name along with the change in direction. If you don't think of it as ex-carcass and listen to it with an open mind then that album totally rocks. It even has a saxophone solo on it!

If you are only into purely necro style death metal then you obviously will hate it. Does not mean it is shit though. You are entitled to label things as being 'shit' but i think that is childish and offensive to people who like it.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.:rolleyes:

As for my music taste being limited.. please tell me how??? How can someone who listens to everything from Electric Light Orchestra to Marduk to 2Pac be limited in their musical tastes?? Just because I find "swansong"'s attempts to be "rockin" rather dull and drab, much like Entombed's horrible piece of crap that is Wolverine Blues. You may be entitled to your opinion of me, but make sure it isn't misinformed before you post it, or else it's open season.:D

As for it being a great album... the discussion was in regards to it being a great "CARCASS album," which it most certainly is not. You say so yourself. But I don't blame them completely for Swansong. I also blame their label Columbia for trying to capitalize on the death metal bands and then not releasing or promoting their product. And then I blame Earache for buying the album from Columbia and releasing it under the Carcass name. What a shame, how the mighty have fallen! :cry:

I love all Carcass, including Swansong. Was it a "true" Carcass album? Who fucking cares! Heartwork could not really be lumped in with the older grindcore Carcass, but who cares, it is an awesome album. I understand why people don't like Swansong, but I also understand why I do.

For people that say "oh, Carcass and Blackstar turned to rock n' roll because Bill Steer left" did anybody ever hear Firebird? You know, Bill Steer's new band after leaving Carcass? It was *gasp* rock n' roll blues!!! For shame Bill, how DARE you do what you want to do instead of remaking the same album over and over again! :eek:

Not trying to get on anyone's case here, just expressing my opinion, just like everyone else. :D

Although it doesn't match up to their previous albums, Swansong is still pretty good. It just goes to show that a truely great band can still produce the goods when they're at their lowest creativity. Some bands produce stuff worse than Swansong all the time. And besides, Carcass were a band that changed noticably with EVERY release so we couldn't really expect another Necroticism or whatever.
My favourite album is still Symphonies of Sickness followed by Necroticism.