The Blue reminds me of Anathema

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Am I the only one who feels this way? Of course it's 100% Novembre, but some of the vocal lines remind me of Anathema's genius.

Novembre has been my favorite band for years and they continue to up the ante every time. Bravi ragazzi!!!!!!!

To be honest, I don't absolutely find nothing in 'The Blue' reminding me of AnathemA. But it reminds me of KatatoniA instead, the early days, such as 'Dance of December Souls'.

:worship: AnathemA and Novembre played memorable gigs down in Castelvolturno this summer. They'd better play together much often in the future. I wanna post here some live pictures of Novembre one of these days... If I well remember, or I've been told like this in the past days, it was 'Bluecracy' the new song performed live down there, with the new bass-player. Unfortunately the guys of the fest. didn't allow Novembre to play 2 songs more - Materia and The dream of the old boats - and I went to claim by Carmelo with the playlist in hand, :lol::lol::lol:!

@ Dead Winter
I'll be in Milan the 18th of November to catch AnathemA live once more :kickass:

I agree with Wildhoney, the first time i listened to the Blue i noriced some influence by the first Katatonia. Obviously the album has the usual "Novembrine Style", these guys are often compared to bands like Opeth, katatonia etc. but i think they developed a really unique sound.

these guys are often compared to bands like Opeth.

I don't really understand why this happens... with the exception of the growling/clean vocals style, they have almost nothing in common. The guitar riffs, the melodies and the moods of the songs are totally different. The bands toured together and are friends, but that's all. The metal scene is infested by ignorant and deaf people.

To be honest, I don't absolutely find nothing in 'The Blue' reminding me of AnathemA. But it reminds me of KatatoniA instead, the early days, such as 'Dance of December Souls'.

:worship: AnathemA and Novembre played memorable gigs down in Castelvolturno this summer. They'd better play together much often in the future. I wanna post here some live pictures of Novembre one of these days... If I well remember, or I've been told like this in the past days, it was 'Bluecracy' the new song performed live down there, with the new bass-player. Unfortunately the guys of the fest. didn't allow Novembre to play 2 songs more - Materia and The dream of the old boats - and I went to claim by Carmelo with the playlist in hand, :lol::lol::lol:!

@ Dead Winter
I'll be in Milan the 18th of November to catch AnathemA live once more :kickass:

I saw them last year in Treviso with Katatonia for the release of Materia...I can now die a happy man now that I've seen Novembre live, hehe.

I saw Anathema twice; once at Gods of Metal two years ago and another time in Treviso. I also saw their acoustic show with the cellist in Nova Gorica, Slovenia.

Right now, I can't get over Cantus Christi. It owns my soul.

I don't really understand why this happens... with the exception of the growling/clean vocals style, they have almost nothing in common. The guitar riffs, the melodies and the moods of the songs are totally different. The bands toured together and are friends, but that's all. The metal scene is infested by ignorant and deaf people.

Hey spectral, hold up. It's not really sane of you to call people ignorant for having an opinion towards music, which everyone interprets in a different yet common way. If I well remember, Carmelo had pentecost 3 on his playing list recently, so... I'd guess it has a (few) slight passage(s) inspired from it. For instance, Aenemia reminds me of 3 distinct bands - Amorphis, Orphaned Land and Muse. Strange, eh?

Novembre's absolutely nothing to do with Opeth :zombie:. This is true and that's all. Can remind a lil' of AnathemA, Paradise Lost and KatatoniA here and there, of course, but seldomly, but anything of Opeth. I think the words written on their website came out from the label, not from the band, just for trying to gain more attention.

P.S. And it's positive that they don't remind anything of Opeth, bcs I think that from BWP the Swedish haven't transmitted anymore the same vibes and emotions as done with the first 3 records, especially.

And, by the way, though I like very much both KatatoniA and Novembre, Novembre are definitely not 1 but min. 10 steps higher:worship: than KatatoniA.

P.S. And it's positive that they don't remind anything of Opeth, bcs I think that from BWP the Swedish haven't transmitted anymore the same vibes and emotions as done with the first 3 records, especially.

thanks god i'm not the only one to think that, i'm almost touched :p

Hey spectral, hold up. It's not really sane of you to call people ignorant for having an opinion towards music, which everyone interprets in a different yet common way.quote]

Nowadays people talk about Opeth just because they're trendy. That band has nothing in common with Novembre, that's all.

If I well remember, Carmelo had pentecost 3 on his playing list recently, so... I'd guess it has a (few) slight passage(s) inspired from it. For instance, Aenemia reminds me of 3 distinct bands - Amorphis, Orphaned Land and Muse. Strange, eh?

I wasn't talking about Anathema influences, by the way. Anyway, why not? But let's not talk about Opeth please... everyone who had the chance to listen carefully to any Novembre album would agree that Novembre and Opeth have almost nothing in common. Of course the label tries to compare Novembre to the swedish band in order to sell more copies... Opeth are so popular and trendy.

I wasn't talking about Anathema influences, by the way. Anyway, why not? But let's not talk about Opeth please... everyone who had the chance to listen carefully to any Novembre album would agree that Novembre and Opeth have almost nothing in common. Of course the label tries to compare Novembre to the swedish band in order to sell more copies... Opeth are so popular and trendy.

Novembre absolutely blow Opeth out of the water anyway (IMO of course),the Blue is right up there with Novembrine Waltz and Classica as their best stuff.I am surprised at how much more aggressive it is than Materia, but that is what I wanted!

Am I the only one who feels this way? Of course it's 100% Novembre, but some of the vocal lines remind me of Anathema's genius.

Novembre has been my favorite band for years and they continue to up the ante every time. Bravi ragazzi!!!!!!!

Definitely reminded me of Anathema in a couple of parts. Especially the vocals at about 1:50 mins into Triesteitaliana sound a lot like Darren White's vocals (on Pentecost III). Even the guitar riff for that same part did too (from the same era Anathema).
Also the last 30 seconds of Deorbit.

Novembre have been a favourite of mine for years too, as have Anathema. Followed them both since their debuts, and though I love the newer Anathema stuff, still miss the older Anathema too, so was good to see Novembre bring back some of that for a few seconds :)
Never really got into Opeth, though My Arms Your Hearse was a great album - agree with whoever said Novembre blows them out of the water.

The Blue is an awesome album (Classica and Wish still my favs though) - great to see Novembre continuing with quality albums each release. Lets hope we don't have another 5 year wait, and they continue with the yearly albums now.

I saw them last year in Treviso with Katatonia for the release of Materia...I can now die a happy man now that I've seen Novembre live, hehe.

I saw Anathema twice; once at Gods of Metal two years ago and another time in Treviso. I also saw their acoustic show with the cellist in Nova Gorica, Slovenia.

Right now, I can't get over Cantus Christi. It owns my soul.

Still waiting for Novembre and/or Anathema to come down here to Australia :( Don't think it's ever gonna happen though. For the good older doom bands we did once get a co-headlining tour of Paradise Lost and Cathedral in about '95 - that's about it I think.

Those were great golden years, the Draconian Times... Have caught Paradise Lost live lately and they neither played one song from 'ICON', just one from 'DT' - 'Enchantment'. Luckily they played 'Gothic', 'As I die', 'Pity the sadness'... it's always good hearing some oldies, though I like almost every single records of this band.