The Book Thread! All opinions welcome!

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
I was having a nosey round OSA Lounge and I noticed there was no book topic! This is an oversight that needs sorting out and sharpish, I think. I'm sure that there must be fellow OSA fans who are keen bookworms as me!

So, if you've read anything that you loved or hated recently, or if there's anything that you're planning to read you can talk about it right here.

At the moment I'm starting 'Twilight' by Stephanie Meyer. I eventually succumbed and bought the trilogy because everybody kept going on about how good the books were and we were discussing at work whether we were going to get the movie when it comes out in December. So far it's not too bad. I hope to get through the books when I have a couple of days off during the week.

I might also re-read 'Perfume: The Story of a murderer' by Peter Suskind and 'The Virgin's Lover' by Phillipa Gregory as I really enjoyed both books. 'Perfume' was very creepy. I'll be interested how much of the book survived into the film now I've got it on DVD. Personally, I'm a little bit skeptical but I hope to be proved wrong.

Finally, a thread in the off-topic forum that I can participate in (other than the wrestling topic)!

I LOVE to read, to me there is nothing better than spending an entire day reading a book. Normally I don't get the luxury to read all day, but I read as much as I can whenever I can.

Right now I'm re-reading a lot of the books I already have, since I can't afford to buy any new ones right now. And I really don't like going to the library to check out books, because I'm the kind of person who likes to read a book many times, so whatever I read, I like to keep.

Right now I'm re-reading Martin Eden by Jack London. My great-grandmother gave me a volume containing several of his books when I was a child, but I never really got into them. I was turned on to this book by way of another book: Ghost Rider by Neil Peart (yes, the same Neil Peart of Rush fame). He mentioned the book as one he recommended a lot to many of his friends, so when I saw a copy at a used bookstore for a very reasonable price, I figured what the hell, and picked it up. And it is a great book; the premise is basically a man's intellectual awakening, and how it turns out to be a disappointment. Kinda like the figurative premise of spending your whole life climbing a mountain, only to find there is nothing there.

Since I could probably sit here all night and post about the books I've read and the authors I enjoy, I'll just turn it over to the OSAers. Name your favorite authors, books, and for fun, let's get a discussion going about books that were made into movies and which ones of those we thought did justice to the books.

Oh yes count me in on this one, I love to read. Right at the moment I am rereading World War Z by Max Brooks which is a follow up to his book the Zombie Survival guide. It takes the survival laws set up in his first book and turns them into an oral history of the zombie war. Great book for anyone who loves classic zombie movies like myself.
I also just got caught up in Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books and her Merry Gentry series about fairies as well. I love all of her books although I went back and read some of the earlier Anita books again and realized how much more I enjoyed them the newer ones have gone a little off the wall.
I will keep you all posted on what my next go around of books will be!... any suggestions would be fantastic.

Quick 'Twilight' update: I read 'Twilight' and 'New Moon' but I'm still undecided whether I actually like the books or not. I think the fact I can't stand Bella is a bit of a problem when you're trying to get into the books. I don't know if I'm being unreasonable so I may try and reread and see if I change my mind. Edward is a bit too perfect for my tastes as well. I must like something about the books as I'm still reading 'Eclipse'.

I know what you mean about books being expensive. They are here as well! I must start buying my books from Amazon as they seem to do cheaper secondhand books. I like buying books from charity shops and there's a cool secondhand market in my hometown which has some book stalls. I'm starting to think that I have too many and I should try and get rid of some. I can't throw away my books though!

Seraph: We used to have an awesome used bookstore here in town, but for some reason it went out of business (I must have been the only person buying the books!), and it has since become a golf equipment shop, and then an eBay sellers' shop. What it is now I have no idea. Maybe it will turn back into a used bookstore someday.

Mel: Looks like you are into sci-fi and fantasy, so I would recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are 6 books so far (5 of which I've read, I can't seem to find the final book in paperback anywhere, except for those mega-large paperbacks which defeats the purpose of why I like the convenience of paperbacks in the first place!). Anyway, coming back to these books...it's basically about a woman who travels through time and falls in love with a Highlander during the Scottish uprising. For a while this woman is married to two men in two different time spans, and which one will she choose? Obviously there's the romance element, but the fantasy element of traveling through time is always a favorite of mine. I discovered those books last year, and spent most of last summer reading them.

Another good fantasy writer that I like is Sean Russell, I like how he fuses fantasy with politics and how the intrigue of corrupt politics plays into his fictional worlds. The Moontide and Magic Rise series of books is a good example of this.

One writer I got into earlier this year (while I was in the hospital) was J.V. Jones, her book The Barbed Coil is also another awesome book involving time-travel and parallel universes.

I also really like the Daggerspell series of books by Katharine Kerr; I was actually made aware of those books from the lyrics to "Jillian" by Within Temptation. The song is so great that it piqued my interest as to what these books must be like. I only have 4 books in the series, and I think there are 3 or 4 more, but I have never been able to find them. Too bad, it was getting real interesting, too!

It's not all fantasy books with me, however; I am a huge fan of Mary Higgins Clark. I have never been much into mystery/suspense but her novels are so engaging and fast-paced that I can usually polish one off in about a couple of hours.

One of my favorite non-fantasy sagas in literature is the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel. Another set of books given to me by a great-grandmother (though not the same one mentioned before), when I was recovering from back surgery at 12 years old. I re-read these books at least once a year and still love them. For those who have never read them, these are books set in prehistoric times and a fascinating fictional view of what life must have been like back then.

As for right now, I'm finished reading Martin Eden so I'm scanning my bookshelves to see what I can read next. I've read nearly every book in my house, I am really in need for some new literature!

So for the most part I love the library and I can relate to wanting to have the book so you can read it again, but if I buy a book I want to make sure I will read it again. Very few books do I read more than once, unless it is really amazing like Garth Nix Abhorsen trilogy or World War Z. I guess I just have a hard time with there are so many books out there to read I feel like I am wasting precious reading time since I don't get to do it very often.

Right now though I am quite disappointed with the library because I struck out on every book or author I was looking for all of them had a wait of 20 people or more.

I really wanted to get Perfume: The Story of a murderer after looking at Seraph's comment again and realizing that I had seen the movie without knowing it was a book! I hate when this happens because I have a very firm rule about reading the book before seeing the movie.

I have also been interested in reading more of Neil Gaimen's books he wrote "Stardust" that was made into a movie last summer and I loved, but again no such luck.

So I settled for a book of short fantasy stories that is a collection of the editors top stories of the year found in magazines and webzines and so forth. I loved the first story and have high hopes for the rest.

C.: When I take this book back I will have to check out some of the authors you gave me because I have only read books by Sean Russell and think they are fantastic and then I read Earth's Children when I was quite young, but I do remember really enjoying them.

Wow! I've talked to many fantasy readers online and none of them ever seem to know who Sean Russell is. I was beginning to think I was the only one who knew his books! :lol:

Right now my main goal is trying to find Gatherer of Clouds, the second book in the Initiate Brother series. Apparently it's out-of-print, which really sucks because the first book is seemingly available everywhere. I think I saw a hardcover on eBay once, but didn't get it because: 1) I hate hardcovers, and 2) they're usually more expensive so I'd rather wait to find a paperback.

So I guess this leads to the age-old question: hardcover or paperback? I know many readers say a "true" literary afficionado prefers hardcovers but I tend to think just the opposite. I like to read anytime, anywhere, so for me a paperback is the only way to fill that need. Who wants to go lugging around a 5-pound hardcover book to the doctor's office or on a road trip? Forget that. Not to mention hardcovers endure rather well, so how can you tell that a book is well-loved?

Anyway, back to books we're reading...I decided that since I finished Martin Eden, I would pick up the book in which the preceeding was "recommended" to me in the first place: Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

Now, you do not have to be a Rush fan in order to enjoy this book; nor will reading the book necessarily make you a convert to their music (although each chapter is headed by a lyric of his). The book is a true story, centering around Neil's decision to get on his motorcycle and discover North America after the tragic deaths of his daughter and wife within less than a year of each other. He starts off in Eastern Canada, and ends up in Belize after a four-month period. In-between are accounts of what happened, filled with stunning descriptive visuals of the various places he went, emotional reactions (both positive and negative) to the people he met along the way, and never too far away are the "ghosts" that haunt him and his incessant need not to get away from them, but to learn how to live with them. Even if Neil was not my favorite lyricist of all time (although I do not know how I would have learned of this book otherwise), I would still be moved by this beautiful, touching story of a man's journey to find meaning when all that which is meaningful is lost.

Obviously I have read this book more than once over the six years since it was published, and it's still an engaging page-turner that in spite of all the real-life tragedies and tribulations, does have an equally honest, but very storybook-like happy ending. I just started yesterday and am more than halfway through. I'll probably finish it by tonight. In fact, I think I'm going to go read some more now.

I prefer paperback to be honest. It bugs me when you start reading a series and then the last one comes out and you really want to read it but it comes out in hardback so then you have the dilemma: Do I read it now and have a mismatching collection or do I wait patiently for the paperback? These things niggle me I know...

I have to say I'm not really a big sci/ fantasy fan. I'll read something if it interests me but mostly Historical fiction, Biographies and Romance are my reading poison. I have a terrible trashy novel habit which I don't like to admit in public but it's true. *blushes furiously* It's a bit weird as when I was younger I went through a stage where I was working my way through the classics. Don't get me wrong it was very educational and some of them I still enjoy and reread when I can , but I think in reaction I went totally the other way.

Is there any classics you enjoy reading? I like Thomas Hardy, Victor Hugo, Henry Fielding and Alexandre Dumas. Sometimes I like a bit of Sir Walter Scott but some of them are a bit dull.

Re: classics---I think I'm almost on the same boat as you, there are many "classics" I was forced to read in high school and as a result, I never wanted to try and read them again as an adult. This is definitely a huge reason as to why I cannot stand Steinbeck or Hemingway; their books are just too boring for me.

I have never read Victor Hugo, but one of my favorite writers, Ayn Rand, was hugely inspired (I wouldn't say "influenced" because Rand is an entity of her own) by Hugo so I have always meant to pick up one of his books to see how they are. Les Miserables was on the classic movie channel the other night; if I had not been so engaged in reading Ghost Rider I might have tuned in.

I've tried to read Thoreau, I have a volume of his "best works" on my bookshelf and the first story is so boring I have never ventured past it. Maybe someday.

However, I do enjoy the ultimate classics, The Odyssey and The Iliad by Homer. Seeing as how I'm a huge LOTR fan I can certainly appreciate epic mythologies. ;)

I also enjoy reading Sartre, although I can't seem to find the third book in the series.

I'm sure it's considered a classic these days, but I am a sucker for Gone With the Wind. Love the movie and the book. As far as the "modern" classics go I really like The Joy Luck Club (both book and movie).

I guess as far as "classic" writers go, I really love the poetry. I have a volume of poetry ranging from Chaucer to Kipling to W.H. Auden (who I became aware of, once again, offhandedly, through the music of Rush when Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson did a solo project called Victor, and the band, album, and title track were all named in honor of the "Victor" poem by Auden, to which Lifeson set to music and recited the lyrics in spoken voice). The dark and creepy style of how he presented this poem sparked my curiosity to read more of his works.

Another poet I really love, that I would consider a favorite, is Rod McKuen. A friend of mine and I both got into his poetry in our teens and have been searching for his many volumes of poetry ever since. He has also written songs for some "old-time" musicians like Frank Sinatra.

But I guess poetry is a whole other thread for a whole other time.

I never considered myself much of a non-fiction person, but I do like to read biographies or true-life accounts of interesting things. The most recent bio I read was a book about Van Halen and all the many crazy debacles they have been involved in. I have to admit I have not read many music bios; probably because most of the time there are similar shows on TV, or things like this are accounted in a band's DVD. But after reading that I do feel inclined to pick up some bios on other bands I like a whole lot more.

It bugs me when you start reading a series and then the last one comes out and you really want to read it but it comes out in hardback so then you have the dilemma: Do I read it now and have a mismatching collection or do I wait patiently for the paperback?

That was indeed a dilemma for me when the last Earth's Children book, The Shelters of Stone, was released. I had already waited 12 years (like all the other of Auel's fans) to read this next installment in the series, and waiting another year for the paperback was torture. While as far as the writing style, I was not disappointed. I was more disappointed by the fact that it took 12 years to write a book that undoubtedly required a lot of research, but storyline-wise I could not see where it took so long to write a book where it seemed so little happened, in comparison to the other books which were a lot more fast-paced and had a lot more historical detail. The sixth book was supposed to be the last one, but apparently Auel has decided to add one more volume after that, making seven in all. I just hope I don't have to wait another 13 years for her next book!

So anyway, I finished up Ghost Rider last night, and am now almost finished with reading Don't Pee on my Leg and Tell me it's Raining by Judge Judy Sheindlin. Now, for those of you who don't live in the U.S., I'm not sure how far Judge Judy's fame goes, but here in the States she is known as a television court judge; she was a "real" judge for many years in the New York City family court, and this book tells all about the many horror stories she faced in family court, and how people continuously scam the system and take advantage of programs that are meant to help people in need. Anyone who has ever seen an episode of Judge Judy's program should know that she's anything from lenient, and her tough-as-nails attitude comes across in this book by way of giving her take on how things can be changed in the judicial system. It's a small book, only a little more than 200 pages, so I should be done with it by the end of the night.

I have historically been a non-reader, due to some dyslexic frustration (I still read very, very slowly) but have somewhat recently been bitten by the bug! (much to the pleasure of my mother who's had a book plastered to her face her whole life) ..And, for the record, I prefer paperback as well, cuz they're easier to hold up in the air... I get in all sorts of weird contorted positions when I read.

Currently finishing The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, a fantasy classic... grew up watching this movie and the book is even better, humorous and sad and rich.

Have read in the last several months:

- The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho: While I loved it, I saw it less as a fable to inspire you to follow your dreams (as many call it), and more as a treatise on its own spiritual/philosophical viewpoint, which you're forced to temporarily accept in order to gain anything from the book. It's a viewpoint which I already had, mind you, but this still kind of ticked me off. It forces itself on you. Also very tiring/heady, alot of thought and concentration is involved, not good for a casual bedtime read.

- The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway: I'm not one for classics, but since it was really short I thought I'd give it a shot, and it was great! Hemingway's simple, unadorned writing style was a perfect pair to the tale of a poor fisherman with nothing but his perseverance.

- Below the Root, Zilpha Keatley Snyder: my favorite game from my brother's old Commodore 64 was based off of this young adult fantasy. I immediately fell in love with the world of Green-Sky... the story follows a young boy in a utopian society who, upon being chosen as a leader-in-training, begins to uncover dark truths about his people's past. The other two books in the trilogy ("And All Between" and "Until the Celebration") were decent, but not as good as this first introduction to Green-Sky.

- James Herriot's Cat Stories: heehee, yep, I love me some kitties! A cute, sweet little collection for fans of feline folk.

- Stardust, Neil Gaiman: I have been a huge fan of his work for years, and this was a delight. A fairytale aimed at adults, it's Neil at his best... he shows, without apology or criticism, the flaws and dark places in all of his characters, and he makes these flaws beautiful.

Next to read:
- Sophie's World; read part of it a few years ago but need to restart.
- Tell Me Where it Hurts; a veterinarian's tales of his work
- Bad Twin; since I love Lost, I wanna read this terrible mystery novel loosely connected to the show, hehe
- The Neverending Story

I've also been known to read Star Trek novels... I have a zillion unread on my shelves, but I've made it through & loved Mosaic (all about Janeway), Pathways (Voyager's crewmates' lives prior to Voyager), and I,Q (<3 Q!)

And, lastly, I'm a big Michael Crichton fan. Loved Jurassic Park, the Lost World (this was my fave), Sphere... wasn't a fan of Prey, I felt he got sloppy on that one. Still have to read his others.

Yet another vote for paperback. For all the reasons listed, including the contorted positions :) As far as the new book dilemma this is again where I find the library to be very helpful, place a hold on the book before it is released get it within a few days of it coming out on the shelves read the big cumbersome hard bound book and return it. Saves you money and lets you have a nice clean collection while not having to wait a year for the paperback version to come out.

My other solution is to go read the book at a bookstore, but then it sucks when you have to leave the book behind. The Borders in town is quite receptive to people coming in and reading books it is a good way for me to get out of the house and there is just something about being in a room full of books that is relaxing for me. . . could explain why I work at my college library.

I like some classics, but quite honestly I hate the term Classics, even my teacher way back in high school agreed that the canon for what made a book a classic was a bit of crap. With that said some authors that I did enjoy were Jane Austin, Albert Camus and Victor Hugo (I actually stole my beat up and broken down copy of Les Mis from school my senior year).

Shakespeare anyone? Even growing up acting I found that I wanted to believe that he was over rated, until I read Othello and for some reason after that my whole view changed probably because it was the first thing of his that I read or saw that wasn't Romeo and Juliet.

Shakespeare anyone?

Yes!!!

I actually studied Shakespearean theater for a year; did a small production of a Midsummer Night's Dream. I still remember some of the lines from that one.

That was the best class I ever took; you not only learn about Shakespeare as a writer, but you learn how his use of language has literally made it to where the actors who speak it almost have to learn a new language entirely. The Taming of the Shrew is another favorite. I used to have a volume of 4 of his best-loved comedies, but looks like it got lost when I moved. :(

'Sophie's World' is a very good book. A friend recommended it and I was not disappointed. I love the way it works on two levels as a novel and as a guide to philosophical thought through the ages. I got interested in a lot of thinkers like Descartes, Swedenborg and Plato through reading it so that was good.

I love some Shakespeare but it depends on the actual play. 'Hamlet, 'Twelfth Night', 'Macbeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' are all good. I don't mind 'Othello' and 'Much Ado about Nothing' but I couldn't finish 'The Comedy of Errors' or 'Coriolanus' though. I always tell myself that I'm going to read more Shakespeare and classics before getting distracted by trash :lol:

Have any of you read a book called 'The Time Traveller's wife' by Audrey Niffenegger? I read that recently and I can recommend that .

I haven't read that, but the title sounds interesting, so I might have to.

Since we've all talked about writers we love/enjoy, how about some writers that we don't like? (Thought this would change up the topic a little bit.)

I already mentioned my dislike of Hemingway and Steinbeck, but among the modern writers, I'd have to say my #1 most disliked author of all time has to be Stephen King. I know a lot of people are going to gasp in shock when I say this, I know many people love his books and I did enjoy Misery and The Shining when they were made into movies. But his writing style...blech. I just don't like it. It's just very bland and boring to me. Yes, we know you're all about "scaring the hell out of people", but there are things that can go on in the meantime. :rolleyes:

In fact, a few years ago I had some books given to me by my mom; she is an avid reader as well but reads predominantly true crime books and mystery/suspense stories. One of these books had a woman's name (I can't remember the name of the author or the book), and in the back it said that "this author's name is a psuedonym for a more well-known writer of suspense/horror novels". When I read the first few passages, it didn't take me long to figure out that it was Stephen King. The book dragged on in the same unmerciful way that his do.

So now I'm back at the bookshelves looking for something else to read. Yesterday I finished another Judge Judy book, Beauty Fades, Dumb is Forever. It's basically more court horror tales, but this time more about the bad judgement calls women make in the courtroom, whether it's giving their credit card to a guy they just met 5 minutes ago, or women who use their children as pawns to drag on messy custody battles. I guess it is the Judge's take on her version of "feminism" and how a woman can empower herself not only in the courtroom, but in life in general.

Since I seem to be in bio mode I think I'll probably read one of the few bios I have. Not really sure yet.

I don't know about authors that I hate, but I do know the books I've hated... all of them forced on me by english class:
- Of Mice and Men
- Grapes of Wrath (ok, yeah, I guess I don't like Steinbeck either hehe)
- To Kill a Mockingbird... many people don't understand this, and I don't know why I hate it, I just do. Blech.
- Ethan Frome... possibly my most loathed ever :p My English teacher kept going on and on about the symbolism of the broken pickle dish... IT'S JUST A STUPID PICKLE DISH. My mom borrowed this from the library recently, to read voluntarily, for enjoyment. Poor woman must've had a lobotomy.

Interestingly, though 11th grade spawned these most hated selections of english class lit, it also gave me some of my favorites: Catcher in the Rye, Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies.

If I really hate a book that much, I have no qualms about abandoning it. Frankly my life is too short to read shitty books.
I remember I read 'The Monk' by Matthew Lewis when I was going through my Gothic Melodrama phase *rolls eyes at her youthful self*
That was a really freaky book, considering it was written in the early 19th century. At the end , the devil dragged the main character to hell because he'd sold his soul to gain the body and soul of the heroine and dragged her down into a dungeon to have his wicked way with her. I only wish I was kidding...
Even more strange at the time I started adapting it as a random musical. That was I started reading it again closely and was slightly disgusted and disturbed by it.

What else didn't really do it for me? I started to read 'Clarissa' because I watched the BBC drama series starring Sean Bean. Dear God , that was depressing. I had no idea at the age of 14 that it was one of the longest books in the English language. The book was immensely dull as well. I guess I'm not a big fan of the 'letter' novel unless they're actually interesting.

I tend to find really dry 19th century novels hard to get through to be honest. It feels like a literary assault course rather than a pleasure to read them. Trying to read Trollope and being bored senseless isn't good.

Kinda on the same topic but not: I was going to read 'Breaking Dawn' but decided against it after reading the first two chapters in Waterstone's. Epic fail on Stephanie Meyer's part. I really had hoped that her character would be slightly less irritating but no ...
On the bright side, I saved myself the cash so I can get myself something I'll enjoy a lot more!

I actually studied Shakespearean theater for a year; did a small production of a Midsummer Night's Dream. I still remember some of the lines from that one.

I took a class similar to that, but it was only one term. I would have taken more, but the teacher that I had was let go after that term and I found out that he was the only one that looked at things beyond just the plays themselves. At the end we all had to perform a scene from Macbeth in groups. I also remember he got in trouble when we were discussing the sonnets for telling us the quaint was also a word for C**t back then. Some uppity religious girl got all offend and threatened to take it to the Dean of the college. I thought it was really interesting put a whole different twist on things. I wish he would have been around longer it was an amazing class. We also read Will in the World by Stephen Greenblatt which I enjoyed quite a bit.

C. I also know that book of best loved comedies because it sits on my book shelf :)

As far as authors, and books I don't like in my most recent news I can tell you that I am not a fan of short stories, not that the people that write them are bad, it is just so hard to build up a character with depth in 4 pages.

As far as books go most of mine stem from school as well because I agree with seraph7 about abandoning books.
I have to say Stienbeck doesn't bother me as much as he seems to bother everyone else, but the only part of Grapes of Wrath that I like were the little between chapter sections that had nothing to do with the plot itself.

Scarlet Letter is among those that I despised I just couldn't seem to embrace the symbolism in that book who really cares?

But above all books I hated Heart of Darkness tops them all...i don't even want to talk about it.

Not a big fan of Joseph Conrad although I remember reading 'Under Western Eyes' and liking it. A teacher recommended 'Heart of Darkness' raved about it in fact but to be honest it was on a long list of books to read at some point in my lifetime. Was it really that bad? I may as well find out now and save myself the bother.

I may have been tainted by the fact that when we were reading The Heart of Darkness we were put in discussion groups and I was in a group with one of the most arrogant book elitist (who oddly enough is now one of my closest friends and moving in with my boyfriend next month), but back to the book he thought it was the most amazing book in the whole world and the he understood the whole thing because he could relate to it (how he could relate to a group of people traveling in the congo, but he did). It made it hard to get into the book because pretty much everything you thought was wrong in his mind.

Ah yes, I remember reading Animal Farm in high school and that was how I got turned on to Orwell.

I don't read a lot of short stories either, but one I really like is a sort of sci-fi one called Fat Farm (I don't know who the author is, and I'm surprised I liked it considering I dislike sci-fi). The premise is basically a futuristic world where when a person becomes overweight or obese, they merely replace their body with a leaner, more svelte replacement. What happens to the old bodies? They are taken to a fun place called slave camp, which is the twist in the story.

Since we got to talking about Sean Russell in this thread I decided to pick up The Swans' War trilogy and start reading it. I'm still on the first book. I have been so busy the last week that I haven't had a chance to polish this off in the usual amount of time that I normally do (quickly).